Google decides to trim their privacy policies

J

JohnDroid

If you are the conspiracy theorist type you might be happy to hear that Google is voluntarily trimming their privacy policy. (Or, might that make you even more paranoid! Hrmm, the irony!)

They've just updated their official blog with the announcement and cite the following reasons:

1. Most of our products and services are covered by our main Google Privacy Policy. Some, however, also have their own supplementary individual policies. Since there is a lot of repetition, we are deleting 12 of these product-specific policies. These changes are also in line with the way information is used between certain products—for example, since contacts are shared between services like Gmail, Talk, Calendar and Docs, it makes sense for those services to be governed by one privacy policy as well.
  2. We’re also simplifying our main Google Privacy Policy to make it more user-friendly by cutting down the parts that are redundant and rewriting the more legalistic bits so people can understand them more easily. For example, we’re deleting a sentence that reads, “The affiliated sites through which our services are offered may have different privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies,” since it seems obvious that sites not owned by Google might have their own privacy policies.
In addition, we’re adding:

• More content to some of our product Help Centers so people will be able to find information about protecting their privacy more easily; and
  • A new privacy tools page to the Google Privacy Center. This will mean that our most popular privacy tools are now all in one place.
Personally I think Google should be commended for taking a proactive approach and for trying to make the policy more human readable.

OP
J

JohnDroid

Might this be a swift PR move in response to the hilariously creepy video being shown in time square about their privacy policies.

Group Attacks Google Privacy...[PCmag.com]

I'm not paranoid but I have to admit that video is funny on so many levels:rofl3:

It's well done for sure, it actually reminds me of this video I watched like 10 years ago.... creepy!

[video=youtube;1OBUj-LBsVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBUj-LBsVo]YouTube - Bingo The Clowno[/video]

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
Might this be a swift PR move in response to the hilariously creepy video being shown in time square about their privacy policies.

I'm not paranoid but I have to admit that video is funny on so many levels:rofl3:

It's well done for sure, it actually reminds me of this video I watched like 10 years ago.... creepy!

[video=youtube;1OBUj-LBsVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBUj-LBsVo]YouTube - Bingo The Clowno[/video]

very creepy and what was the point of the video?? story wise

luv2increase

Reaction score
Google is a scary company I do agree. However, in order for the general population to be able to benefit from all Google has to offer, certain intrusive practices are completely necessary.

That is the price we as human beings pay if we want to benefit from the advancements in technology.

Big Ry

Reaction score
i wish people would stop flipping over this kind of stuff. as stated, its simply technological advancement. if you dont like it, sell your phone, home, and car then move into the woods. googles not stealing identities or credit card numbers...so who freakin cares?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

noo_too_droid

Reaction score
Ya, irregardless of the quality of the advertisement, i think it is sooooooo dumb. So now google knows your mom has been google-ing old boy freinds, who gives a ****. its not like theyre going to do anything with that. force you to pay them so they dont tell your husband? please google watch every site i go to, so when i start looking up how to make bombs and and to break into the pentagon you can stop me

brianes99

Reaction score
No anonymity is the future of web in the opinion of Google's CEO Eric Schmidt. He said many creepy things about privacy at the Techonomy Conference. The focus of the conference was how technology is changing and can change society. Schmidt's message was that anonymity is a dangerous thing and governments will demand an end to it.

paranoid?, why should we be paranoid?

SpykeZ

Reaction score

[video=youtube;1OBUj-LBsVo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OBUj-LBsVo"]YouTube - Bingo The Clowno[/video]

very creepy and what was the point of the video?? story wise

It's the deeper part of the human brain. Society tries to shape you as they see fit, the government etc. Make someone, pressure someone, toy with someone enough and they'll eventually snap.