Apple, Facebook, Google & MS Will Tell Us When U.S. Government Requests Our Data

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
facebook_google_apple_ms_logos.jpg

It looks like Apple, Google, Microsoft and Facebook are getting much braver when it comes to facing off against the NSA spying. They are basically thumbing their noses at the U.S. Government over the issue. All three companies recently formally requested that the US government give them permission to publish federal data requests. They have since received no response from the Department of Justice, so they took it upon themselves to solve the problem "in absentia. " They did this by updating their privacy policies to reflect their intention to inform individual users about how often and when the government requests their data.

Supposedly, the way Google, Microsoft, Apple and Facebook have reworded their policies, these three tech companies will only withhold the info when/if they receive a gag order from a judge or some other legal authority. To be clear, not all of the companies have completely finished rewriting their policies, but all of them are at least working in it. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Google updated its policy this week, adding that data is only withheld when there's "imminent risk" of physical harm to a potential crime victim, while an Apple spokesperson said that later this month the company will update its policies so it can notify customers in "most cases" when law enforcement requests their personal information. Neither Apple nor The Social Network or Redmond, however, have finalized their updates just yet. If it helps you sleep a little better at night, the Post reports that companies that notify their users have a little more sway with the fuzz: apparently investigators would rather drop their data requests entirely rather than suspects learn they're being watched.

Sound off and let us know what you think of this move from the tech titans?

Source: Engadget

sineater

Reaction score
They should have been doing this from the start. The fact that the NSA is doing this to begin with is a direct vioaltion of DUE Process. Not trying to be political just saying.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Due process now only works for those we hire, they have taken it upon themselves to threaten the very people they owe their very existence to, and I for one, will never obey any order from an agency simply because they assume power over us, which none do.
The three letter agencies are not the legal system and we the people are not under any obligation to obey our employees!

sineater

Reaction score
Due process now only works for those we hire, they have taken it upon themselves to threaten the very people they owe their very existence to, and I for one, will never obey any order from an agency simply because they assume power over us, which none do.
The three letter agencies are not the legal system and we the people are not under any obligation to obey our employees!

Very well said

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
Wow. I applaud and respect these companies for the stand they took. It'll be interesting to see what the NSA will do to try to stop them though.

sineater

Reaction score
I really want to use a load of expletive deleteds to display my contempt for all of those 3 letter agencies and there so called need for security over personal freedom but I won't out of respect for the forum...however I have gained a little more respect for Google and FB though