Google Contacts

mpax9

Reaction score
So I spent a few days manually cleaning up my contacts in Gmail. I attached pictures for each person, and updated various information (phone, e-mail, etc.) The contact list in Gmail is exactly how I want it - the same can't be said for the contact list in the phone however.

There is a lot of duplicate information for many of those contacts. For example, John Smith has a HOME e-mail address, and an OTHER e-mail address (the same for both). When I click EDIT John Smith on my phone, there are two entries lists. Both say GOOGLE CONTACT from my e-mail address. The top GOOGLE CONTACT contains some of the information, and the second GOOGLE CONTACT information contains what I manually entered.

Does anyone know what I can do to ONLY sync the contact information that I manually entered within MY CONTACTS in Gmail?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Open contacts, go to menu then display options. Click on your gmail account and see what options are checked. More than likely you have "unknown" contacts in your gmail account with just an email address and you also have an actual contact with that same email address. The Droid will automatically merge any contacts with either identical names, phone numbers, or email addresses.

Another thing you can do if it's mostly email address issues is check the "only contacts with phones" option.

And last thing is do you have more than one gmail account synced? If you have more than one and each has a copy of a contact it will merge them.

Mateles

Reaction score
What happens when you search for JOHN SMITH's EMAIL in your contacts online? When I cleaned mine up, I found a lot of duplicate emails for people that appeared in "My Contacts" and again in "All Contacts," but without the correct contact associated. If your "All Contacts" section is much larger than your regular contacts, then you probably have some more clean-up to do.

OP
M

mpax9

Reaction score
Open contacts, go to menu then display options. Click on your gmail account and see what options are checked. More than likely you have "unknown" contacts in your gmail account with just an email address and you also have an actual contact with that same email address. The Droid will automatically merge any contacts with either identical names, phone numbers, or email addresses.

Another thing you can do if it's mostly email address issues is check the "only contacts with phones" option.

And last thing is do you have more than one gmail account synced? If you have more than one and each has a copy of a contact it will merge them.

Thanks for the quick response. I went into my DISPLAY OPTIONS and the only thing checked is SYSTEM GROUP: MY CONTACTS. Again, the MY CONTACTS tab in Gmail is exactly how I want my list to look like, no duplicates and everything correctly formatted. But for some reason, the contact list on my phone is syncing two sets of information for certain contacts. When I edit JOHN SMITH's contact information from the phone, there are two tabs of information. One is all the information I manually entered properly, and another that pulls in certain information and is without a photo...

OP
M

mpax9

Reaction score
What happens when you search for JOHN SMITH's EMAIL in your contacts online? When I cleaned mine up, I found a lot of duplicate emails for people that appeared in "My Contacts" and again in "All Contacts," but without the correct contact associated. If your "All Contacts" section is much larger than your regular contacts, then you probably have some more clean-up to do.

I searched for JOHN SMITH's email in Gmail on my PC and it only found one instance - the one I manually entered in MY CONTACTS.

The only thing checked on my phone to display is the MY CONTACTS list, not ALL CONTACTS.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
try going to one of the contacts with duplicates then go to menu and see if "separate" or "join" is an option.

If separate is there, go ahead and do it then look in your contact list again and see if you can find both instances listed separately and determine why they're both there.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
If that doesn't work you could always do a factory wipe. I know it would be a pain to restore apps and settings but it should resolve your contact issues (hopefully).

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Or before going that far try clearing the data for the contacts app. I've never tried it but clearing gmail data seems to correct gmail sync issues so it stands to reason that it might help here too.

menu>settings>applications>manage applications>menu>filter>all>contacts storage>clear data

could also clear just the Contacts (in addition to Contacts Storage) while you're there in the menu. Clearing that one will clear all your contacts settings back to default so if you do that be sure and go back and put the setting back the way you wanted them.

th9203

Reaction score
THAT WAS SCARY! :icon_eek:

But it worked and cleared up some duplicate entries. Strongly suggest backing up your contacts prior to performing the Clear All function described above.

Starbuckpga

Reaction score
Is there a way to remove my Google contacts? Or keep them off my phone even though I still use my Gmail account? A lot of my contacts in Gmail I do not phone or contact other than through email. I'd still like to use my Gmail, but I don't want any of my Gmail contacts to be listed as contacts on my phone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Go into your account settings and click on your google account. Un check the contact option.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Starbuckpga

Reaction score
Go into your account settings and click on your google account. Un check the contact option.

Done. However they are still showing. Do I need to sync somehow to get them removed and not be displayed on the phone.

Thank you for your help.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Click on one of the contacts and edit it. That will show you what accounts that contact is linked to.

It may be that it saved itself some place else. You can go into the display settings and uncheck it.