Google contact synch issues

godzilla927

Reaction score
It seems as though when I transitioned from the Samsung charge to the Razr I lost all my contacts synched with google and noticed there are no apps to synch razr with google contacts nos. got any ideas on how to synch without going to google contacts and writing them all in manually?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
It seems as though when I transitioned from the Samsung charge to the Razr I lost all my contacts synched with google and noticed there are no apps to synch razr with google contacts nos. got any ideas on how to synch without going to google contacts and writing them all in manually?

On your Razr go to contacts>settings> and export your contacts to your sd card. That will create a vcard file that you can put on your PC. Then, login to your gmail account>contacts and import that file into gmail...that should do it. Any new contact that you add to your Razr, make sure your contacts is set to sync with gmail.

Gadgetman53

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Google account under my accounts syncs them up. I used the Google sync that was installed on mine to get all of my contacts off of my Blackberry Bold 9700 onto my new RAZR with no problems.

Maybe I did t quite understand the question correctly.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I am pretty sure the Google account under my accounts syncs them up. I used the Google sync that was installed on mine to get all of my contacts off of my Blackberry Bold 9700 onto my new RAZR with no problems.

Maybe I did t quite understand the question correctly.

I think it depends on how contacts are merged from your previous phone to your gmail acccount. If the contacts are sync to your gmail account first then no problem, but if they are moved from one phone to another then they will not sycn with gmail. I had this problem with my wife's HTC Incred2. They moved her stuff from her old phone right to her Incred2 and her contacts were in her phone but gmail would not recognize and sycn them. Maybe it's different on our Razr.

Reaction score
How about from iPhone to RAZR? My phone is expected to arrive in the mail tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone (soon to be RAZR) using Tapatalk

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
How about from iPhone to RAZR? My phone is expected to arrive in the mail tomorrow.

You don't have an sd card do you? Do you have your contacts in Outlook or something like that. Most of those client email programs have an export function. If so, export your contacts to your desktop (any location you can remember). The export function will create a file that you can import into gmail. When you activate your Razr one of the first things it makes you do is establish a gmail account...you do that right on the phone. Once that is established login to your gmail account on your PC and import that file...gmail will sync that contact data with your Razr...works like a charm. There is probably other ways to do it but this one has worked perfect for me. The problem with letting VZW do it for you is that they take the contact data right from your old phone into the Razr (I don't know what software they use). That will put the contact info in your Razr but it won't sync with gmail because it didn't come through gmail to begin with. The beauty of gmail is that it will keep contact informaiton and calendar information sync with your Razr automatically. After initial setup it doesn't make a difference if you enter new contact via gmail or via your phone, it will sync.

Reaction score
You don't have an sd card do you? Do you have your contacts in Outlook or something like that. Most of those client email programs have an export function. If so, export your contacts to your desktop (any location you can remember). The export function will create a file that you can import into gmail. When you activate your Razr one of the first things it makes you do is establish a gmail account...you do that right on the phone. Once that is established login to your gmail account on your PC and import that file...gmail will sync that contact data with your Razr...works like a charm. There is probably other ways to do it but this one has worked perfect for me. The problem with letting VZW do it for you is that they take the contact data right from your old phone into the Razr (I don't know what software they use). That will put the contact info in your Razr but it won't sync with gmail because it didn't come through gmail to begin with. The beauty of gmail is that it will keep contact informaiton and calendar information sync with your Razr automatically. After initial setup it doesn't make a difference if you enter new contact via gmail or via your phone, it will sync.

I don't have outlook. Can gmail alone do it from iPhone to razr?

majorchord

Reaction score
I cannot find how to automatically sync my google contacts. I have no problem manually doing it but it offers no toggle checkmark like the Droid 3. What am I missing?

Reaction score
I cannot find how to automatically sync my google contacts. I have no problem manually doing it but it offers no toggle checkmark like the Droid 3. What am I missing?

If you had the D3, I would think it was very similar. If you go to accounts, and select your gmail account, there should be a place to check sync contacts. Also, in your phone dialer with contacts displayed touch menu, display, then open the gmail stop down and make sure that is checked.

majorchord

Reaction score
If you had the D3, I would think it was very similar. If you go to accounts, and select your gmail account, there should be a place to check sync contacts. Also, in your phone dialer with contacts displayed touch menu, display, then open the gmail stop down and make sure that is checked.

That is my problem. There is no check box on that screen as there is on the D3. There is only text below the categories; books, contacts, etc that allows me to manually sync. I would like an automatic setting.

Reaction score
That is my problem. There is no check box on that screen as there is on the D3. There is only text below the categories; books, contacts, etc that allows me to manually sync. I would like an automatic setting.

Just figured it out....I think. Go into your phone settings and choose data manager, make sure background data is enabled.

majorchord

Reaction score
Damn. I tried. I was trying to see if anything would get the results you mentioned with no checked boxes under accounts and background data was the only thing that did it for me.

I discovered the problem. Auto Sync was turned off. I could not find how to turn it back on so I started searching for apps and found one called "Sync Settings" and it worked. As soon as I turned on "Auto-sync" the check marks magically appeared. I love happy endings. Thanks for your help.