Google Confirms Nexus 5 will Stay in Production Through Q1 of 2015

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-droid-forums-watermarked-small.jpg

Earlier today, several media outlets jumped on the news that Google may have stopped production of the Nexus 5 smartphone, and that once they run out, there won't be anymore. Luckily, we decided to do some digging and wait to report until it was confirmed, because it turns out the report was not entirely accurate.

Still... it's close to the truth, and for fans of the Nexus 5, the news isn't that good. According to the latest information from a Google rep, the company plans to keep producing the Nexus 5 handset at least until the end of Q1 2015. It's still possible they may stop production at that time, but they didn't elaborate further.

It will be a shame if they choose not to build a new edition of the Nexus 5. It seems ideal to have the Nexus 5 in the regular sized handset marketing spot, while the Nexus 6 occupies the phablet space. Perhaps they will simply give a different company a shot at making another Nexus device. We will keep you apprised as more info is revealed.

Source: Gizmodo

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Google needs a Nexus device in that size, or even slightly smaller, since the Nexus 6 is a bit too large for many of us. I'm still happy with the Nexus 4, but may get a Nexus 5 anyway since the size seems to be abandoned by the Nexus program. They've rarely had it in stock for months now.

IMHO, they shouldn't have given up on the Nexus 7--it was the perfect size. Easy to handle, pocketable, yet big enough to read easily. And it doesn't cost a small fortune like a certain other brand...

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I wish the 2014 nexus would have just mirrored the moto x 2014 but with the snap 805, bigger battery and 3 ram. They would have sold a **** ton of them....well atleast twice as many.

I'm either going to buy an iPhone 6 next or wait for something with an 64bit 810 and 4gb ram. With the jump program I may do both.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish the 2014 nexus would have just mirrored the moto x 2014 but with the snap 805, bigger battery and 3 ram. They would have sold a **** ton of them....well atleast twice as many.

I'm either going to buy an iPhone 6 next or wait for something with an 64bit 810 and 4gb ram. With the jump program I may do both.

They should have made two Nexus phones. One with the 6 inch phablet size, and one with the 5 inch screen. They could have game them the same specs either way.

If they mirrored the Moto X, then their would two Nexus's as the Moto X is already near stock anyway.

So then I guess that's your answer, just get the Moto X 2014, dev edition, and that's your smaller Nexus.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
They should have made two Nexus phones. One with the 6 inch phablet size, and one with the 5 inch screen. They could have game them the same specs either way.

If they mirrored the Moto X, then their would two Nexus's as the Moto X is already near stock anyway.

So then I guess that's your answer, just get the Moto X 2014, dev edition, and that's your smaller Nexus.
Well, they don't have the moto x on t mobile. Plus the battery life isn't that great. Just no making me happy.