Google CEO Larry Page Comments on Motorola Purchase; So do HTC, Samsung & Others

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-sign-blue.jpeg

Obviously the big news for the day, is that Google is set to acquire Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion dollars. Speculation as to the motivation of the acquisition has been running rampant across the internet. Most of it focused on the assumption that the primary reason is that Google wants Motorola's patents so they can help protect the Android ecosystem as a whole. That particular theory turns out to be spot on. Here's a quote from CEO of Google, Larry Page, from a post he wrote on Google's blog,
"We recently explained how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to 'protect competition and innovation in the open source software community' and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies."
For folks that worry this may change the landscape of Android and impact it in a negative way, he elaborated further by saying,
"This acquisition will not change our commitment to run Android as an open platform. Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business. Many hardware partners have contributed to Android’s success and we look forward to continuing to work with all of them to deliver outstanding user experiences."
This is a pretty brilliant move on Google's part. It's too bad they have to resort to these maneuvers in order to simply protect their ability to innovate and compete in the marketplace, but at least they are not "rolling over."

Interestingly, several of Android's primary smartphone manufacturer's have also sounded off on the issue, and so far have nothing but praise for the move by Google. In fact, here are quotes from HTC, Samsung, LG, and Sony Ericsson:
“We welcome the news of today’s acquisition, which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners, and the entire ecosystem” - Peter Chou, CEO, HTC
“We welcome today’s news, which demonstrates Google’s deep commitment to defending Android, its partners, and the ecosystem” - J.K. Shin, President, Samsung, Mobile Communications Division
“We welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” - Jong-Seok Park, Ph.D, President & CEO, LG
“I welcome Google’s commitment to defending Android and its partners” - Bert Nordberg, President & CEO, Sony Ericsson
It's actually pretty exciting to see Google flexing its muscle in preparation to start actively defending 'Andy'. Obviously the other side benefit to this acquisition (which could also be a potential negative) is that Google will be able to further enforce quality control on the Android ecosystem. Even though that means Android will be a bit less "open", as long as they don't get too heavy-handed with it, this will probably end up being a net positive. What do you think?

Source: BGR and SlashGear

Last edited:

Valvoline

Reaction score
Pretty amazing how all quotes are exactly the same. Was it like, an multiple choice and all they had to do is check the box? lol

KingLo

Reaction score
I think HTC made thier statement and everyone else told thier secretary. "Hey just copy what they said and release it"

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Nice to see that manufactures support Google and Android. Good show of sportsmanship. I don't think we will ever see Microsoft or Apple say something like that.

Beardface

Reaction score
I am still a bit skeptical (mainly because I rarely see something like this happen where it isn't going to eventually devolve into something akin to absolute greed) but to see that Google did this to obtain patents in order to broadly protect Android as a whole from the myriad of needless Apple and Microsoft lawsuits is a good thing. Hopefully, HTC, Samsung, LG, etc can sign pacts with Google in the future that all patents relating to Android would be shared across the board, so if Apple wants to keep this up, they, as a whole, can flex their muscles and really go after them. Apple may be big, but if they have a reality of "if you sue one, you sue all" and dealing with the legal prowess of a pact like that, they might back down a bit and allow for market competition to actually take place.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
At first I was a little surprised by this. Then I started thinking about it and ...correct me if I'm wrong here...realized that Moto, unlike HTC/Samsung/LG, has not released a Windows phone for this generation. They have, quite simply, stuck by Android since the OG. I wonder what this means for the future as far as the Nexus devices are concerned...

Or for that matter, if future releases from Moto (starting in mid-2012 I would assume) could have an entirely different take as far as components and design are concerned.

Granted, I'm aware of what the article states is the main reason for Google acquiring Moto, and I agree with it. But damn, this could mean some really big things for Moto and Android as a whole. Possibly even Android's answer to Apple and their "quality controlled" iPhone and iPad? Heh, MoPhone and MoPad.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
At first I was a little surprised by this. Then I started thinking about it and ...correct me if I'm wrong here...realized that Moto, unlike HTC/Samsung/LG, has not released a Windows phone for this generation. They have, quite simply, stuck by Android since the OG. I wonder what this means for the future as far as the Nexus devices are concerned...

Or for that matter, if future releases from Moto (starting in mid-2012 I would assume) could have an entirely different take as far as components and design are concerned.

Granted, I'm aware of what the article states is the main reason for Google acquiring Moto, and I agree with it. But damn, this could mean some really big things for Moto and Android as a whole. Possibly even Android's answer to Apple and their "quality controlled" iPhone and iPad? Heh, MoPhone and MoPad.

yea...forgot about that. Moto basically told MS to kiss it. lol. But I read an article recently where they seemed to warm to the idea of doing an WP7 phone. Now....I dont know....it may be back to ...kiss it...lol

bppump911

Reaction score
The Harmony Will Be Short-Lived

Trust me, the other hardware manufacturers will not be content licensing software from what is now their competitor - Google/Motorola. This acquisition will allow Google to provide its own captive manufacturer (Motorola) with all of the best software, gain a significant competitive advantage over the other manufacturers and (ultimately) either drive those other manufacturers to a different platform or put them out of business. It is as if Intel purchased Dell - do you think that other PC manufacturers would remain eager to purchase Intel chips? The only reason to buy from a competitor is if no other choice exists - this is business school 101. HTC and others, while currently saying nice things about the acquisition, are busy evaluating their alternatives to Google.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, but I think a lot of questions are going through android user's minds. Like:
will moto finally be forced to unlock or allow unlockable bootloaders?
How can google be open if they are running locked devices?
Will they atleast provide a suitable sub via motorola nexus?
Will vzw allow a motorola nexus on their network or will they use the excuse that it is a threat to the droid line?
Will this control be used to allow google to control the market more to prevent malware, or make the device like apple and less open, ie preventing users from root access?
OR is this just a buyout for patents, and moto have no intentions of running or influencing moto (in other words business continuing on as usual)?

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
What this means is the pentile issue should become less of a problem or removed as technology advances in the next year or two also. This is great news for future Motorola phones coming down the line!!!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Meh, I can see where this is good and bad. Like others have commented on, the good thing that I myself am hoping to see come out of this, is the possibility of Moto loosening its grip on the bootloaders of its phones, or maybe going back to the D1 release and having a ASOP Moto phone released again for some of its phones...pure nekkid Android with no Blur.

The bad I can see coming, would be going 180 out and making a phone like the iPhone...only releasing a device every 6 months with minimal upgrades and new features. This device would be directly aimed at the iPhone contingent, and would ultimately take away from other Android based phone sales, as well as other device makers.

Google and Moto will have to tread carefully so as not to have this move blow-up in their faces...IMHO....

Byakushiki

Reaction score
In businesses like these, companies always have to tread carefully as to not tick off their customers :laugh:
Hopefully, they'll simply release a Nexus phone disguised as a Droid, so VZW can't complain. I mean, the D1 was basically a lower end N1 with a keyboard, so it's possible.

souljerr

Reaction score
Trust me, the other hardware manufacturers will not be content licensing software from what is now their competitor - Google/Motorola. This acquisition will allow Google to provide its own captive manufacturer (Motorola) with all of the best software, gain a significant competitive advantage over the other manufacturers and (ultimately) either drive those other manufacturers to a different platform or put them out of business. It is as if Intel purchased Dell - do you think that other PC manufacturers would remain eager to purchase Intel chips? The only reason to buy from a competitor is if no other choice exists - this is business school 101. HTC and others, while currently saying nice things about the acquisition, are busy evaluating their alternatives to Google.

I wondered about this also but I think the other manufacturers have invested so much in Android that patent protection (and Google having their back) is where they are focused right now.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Meh, I can see where this is good and bad. Like others have commented on, the good thing that I myself am hoping to see come out of this, is the possibility of Moto loosening its grip on the bootloaders of its phones, or maybe going back to the D1 release and having a ASOP Moto phone released again for some of its phones...pure nekkid Android with no Blur.

The bad I can see coming, would be going 180 out and making a phone like the iPhone...only releasing a device every 6 months with minimal upgrades and new features. This device would be directly aimed at the iPhone contingent, and would ultimately take away from other Android based phone sales, as well as other device makers.

Google and Moto will have to tread carefully so as not to have this move blow-up in their faces...IMHO....
I don't think that will happen. You have the best of both worlds here. Motorola pushes out a new phone every 1-2 months and Google doesn't like to push new things until they are stable as can be. Why do you think it takes so long for new Android updates? When iOS has updates, they have a bunch of incremental updates afterwards to fix the bugs they missed. Android on the other hand will have 1 or 2 major bugs on its first release and are fixed pretty quickly.

If you think about it, they really can't go wrong. Google knows how to succeed with Android and all its features and Motorola knows how to play the cell phone manufacturing game. Both companies are powerhouses and one of the top in their fields.