Google Calendar/Contacts Alternative?

slinky

Reaction score
Earth to Google, many of us are not giving up Outlook any time soon. It allows us to save our data locally, there are many built in conveniences, etc. Unfortunately I've had it with the Google Outlook connector failing and my calendar not synching reliably all the time (and no contact sync at all.) I need a solution other than Google calendar and contacts, even if it means replacing the entire app with something else.

I've tried to use some of the products here. The conduits are very expensive if you own a Moto Droid (HTC comes with it, Motorola owners pay over 25% the cost of the phone!) and I have yet to have one work flawlessly. Part of the problem is also the way Google stores data too, first name last name, which makes searching for contacts sometimes just outright awful.

I'm wondering how some of you business people use Android with Outlook - not Exchange, the good old single client version. :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Earth to Google, many of us are not giving up Outlook any time soon. It allows us to save our data locally, there are many built in conveniences, etc. Unfortunately I've had it with the Google Outlook connector failing and my calendar not synching reliably all the time (and no contact sync at all.) I need a solution other than Google calendar and contacts, even if it means replacing the entire app with something else.

I've tried to use some of the products here. The conduits are very expensive if you own a Moto Droid (HTC comes with it, Motorola owners pay over 25% the cost of the phone!) and I have yet to have one work flawlessly. Part of the problem is also the way Google stores data too, first name last name, which makes searching for contacts sometimes just outright awful.

I'm wondering how some of you business people use Android with Outlook - not Exchange, the good old single client version. :)

My wife tells me it's a piece of cake. She took her contacts/calendar, converted to .csv files and it worked great. I often ask her about this because of post like yours and she says it's easy to do if you follow the directions.

Now I'm just telling you what she says, so don't get mad at me. I never had to do it and she is an IT person. So what may be a piece of cake to her may not be for others. She never once asked me for help on this since she got her Droid, she does use her calendar and contacts for business so I don't know what else to say.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
My wife tells me it's a piece of cake. She took her contacts/calendar, converted to .csv files and it worked great. I often ask her about this because of post like yours and she says it's easy to do if you follow the directions.

Now I'm just telling you what she says, so don't get mad at me. I never had to do it and she is an IT person. So what may be a piece of cake to her may not be for others. She never once asked me for help on this since she got her Droid, she does use her calendar and contacts for business so I don't know what else to say.
Thanks - I'm not talking about a one time conversion. I use Outlook every day. I need synchronization between the two...

diverbelow

Reaction score

Thanks - I'm not talking about a one time conversion. I use Outlook every day. I need synchronization between the two...

have not seen app, besides what Google has and it has been work great. I have it sync'ing one way.

Correction, Motorola has a phone portal app, called "PhonePortal.apk", that sync's between the phone and your computer.

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
slinky said:

I use a software called gSyncIt and I sync my contacts & calendar both ways. The software was about $15 but was worth it to me. Is easy to setup & start using. I also believe you can sync notes as well but I do not use that feature.

Sent from my Droid

ItsJessMe

Reaction score
slinky said:

I use a software called gSyncIt and I sync my contacts & calendar both ways. The software was about $15 but was worth it to me. Is easy to setup & start using. I also believe you can sync notes as well but I do not use that feature.

Sent from my Droid

I use this as well, because I have Outlook 7 and Google Calendar Sync doesn't work with this. The developer, Dave (www.daveswebsite.com) has been awesome at answering questions, and syncing works great now. Such a relief after weeks of frustration.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
does google calendar sync not work?

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

edit: or is this the same thing as google outlook connector.????
Same thing. Problem with it is:

1) It only does Calendar, not contacts

2) Every week or so it fails to connect giving me some error (2016 I think). It requires me to reinput my password and it works fine. When do I find out this happened? After I miss an appointment that didn't sync to my droid. ;)

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
slinky said:

Sent from my Droid

I use this as well, because I have Outlook 7 and Google Calendar Sync doesn't work with this. The developer, Dave (www.daveswebsite.com) has been awesome at answering questions, and syncing works great now. Such a relief after weeks of frustration.

Thanks guys. The $40-50 software I tried originally was nice but never worked properly for me. A lot of work they put in and I recognize that but it also choked on some supposedly invisible data I had in the Palm, etc. It's also a lot of money to pay for something that should have come stock.

I'll take a look at gsyncit. Notes sync would be superb - I really need those three things. Google is bent on becoming the next Microsoft and I really don't care to transition nor throw everything on their cloud if I don't have to... Plus... I don't have to worry about the failures of wireless sync. Yippee!!! Thank you!!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
IIRC there are a number of threads regarding Outlook sync options. Have you referred to them at all?

That said, I can't recall anyone being truly happy with any of the options.