Google Apps missing after installing Fission

jammerules

Reaction score
Hello experts,

I have installed Fission ROM on my Droid2 and it was successful. However, all of my contacts and apps like Navigation, BackupAssitant are all missing. How can I get them back?

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Try doing a search for "gapps" (Google applications). I'm not a fission user but I think some ROMS need to download those apps separately. I may be wrong but that should send you in the right direction until someone else can give better advice. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
J

jammerules

Reaction score
Try doing a search for "gapps" (Google applications). I'm not a fission user but I think some ROMS need to download those apps separately. I may be wrong but that should send you in the right direction until someone else can give better advice. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Thanks for the quick response, Firefighter. I did a quick search on the google for "gapps" and I checked the first link (from the result set below) and it was not of much help, as the page was for CyanogenModders. Here is the result set I got:

gapps - Google Search

I would still wait to see if anyone else had an issue like I did and see if they can shed some more light. Thanks though!!! Keep up the good job!

trook

Reaction score
Fission does not have any blur features or apps like backup assistant or navigation. You need to flash back to stock or log into your my verizon page and download them, if you flash back to get them you need to open your contacts, press menu, export to csv. Then your contacts will be saved on your sd card and you can import them also, if your going to flash roms you should export the csv file to gmail and save them there, this way you will never lose your contacts. I wish there was an easier way and I had better news for you but if you made a backup it shouldn't take long. If you need better instructions or anything else you should check out the hacking/rom install class located in the droid 2 hacks section.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
J

jammerules

Reaction score
Fission does not have any blur features or apps like backup assistant or navigation. You need to flash back to stock or log into your my verizon page and download them, if you flash back to get them you need to open your contacts, press menu, export to csv. Then your contacts will be saved on your sd card and you can import them also, if your going to flash roms you should export the csv file to gmail and save them there, this way you will never lose your contacts. I wish there was an easier way and I had better news for you but if you made a backup it shouldn't take long. If you need better instructions or anything else you should check out the hacking/rom install class located in the droid 2 hacks section.

Trook, Thanks for the info. I am really a noob at this and I should have done a better research to foresee this problem. Could you be a little more descriptive about "flashing back to stock". I am able to retrieve my contacts from gmail... but I really really need some of the "stock" apps. Please help! In the interim, I will also search this site on how to flash back to stock for D2. Thanks bud!

OP
J

jammerules

Reaction score
Never mind - I happened to have backup the phone to an image file using "Boot Recovery" app and was able to restore to the old image. Sadly, did not get to play with the new ROM though.

trook

Reaction score
Just make a nandroid backup of your stock setup and flash back to fission or something else, that's the beauty of flashing roms, you never have to commit to just 1, as long as your contacts are saved on your sd card and gmail they will never go away again. What I mean by flashing back is when you bootstrap into recovery you go down to backup and restore, then select backup, it takes about 5 minutes to backup your system, apps , and data so if you ever want to go back to your stock rooted setup you boot back into recovery and "flash" your backup. If your looking for a blurless rom they are all great (I can't comment on epic, I've never used it) but if your looking for a more stock feeling rom with stock apps squidlys rom is the way to go.