Google and Motorola Ordered To Hand Over Android Data to Apple

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
googlemotorola.jpeg

Google and a Motorola Mobility were ordered by the U.S. judge presiding over the Apple patent lawsuit to turn over information about the development of Google’s Android operating system. Google Inc. must also hand over to Apple information about their pending $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility said U.S. Circuit Judge Richard A. Posner. Apple’s attorneys’ said “The Android/Motorola acquisition discovery is highly relevant to Apple’s claims and defenses.” Motorola shot back and opposed Apple's request by saying that Google is not a party to the lawsuit:

Google’s employees and documents are not within the ‘possession, custody, or control’ of Motorola, and Motorola cannot force Google to produce documents or witnesses over Google’s objections.

Judge Richard A. Posner has scheduled back-to-back trials before separate juries starting June 11. The first will address six Apple patents, and the second will cover three Motorola patents.

And so it goes, just another day in patent lawsuit land.

Source: Bloomberg

cawpin

Reaction score
Apple better be careful...

Motorola is one of those companies you don't screw with. They have patents that refer simply to "radio." Not a specific type or frequency, just "radio." They need to play hardball with Apple and shut them up for good when it comes to patents.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is why Google and Moto stressed that they would remain separate entities? For Google to avoid handing documentation on Android to Apple?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow. Apple's lawyers are no joke, even if this latest claim is. I'm not a legal expert, but I'm a little perplexed on what grounds a judge could have ruled in Apple's favor here. It basically screams "no fair, a Google/Moto combo means our victims start punching back...hard"

Apple is the proverbial kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. They've been bullying everyone around and then Google & Moto look to combine and it's "Ohhhhhhhhh Shhhhhitackie mushrooms"

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Every time I read about Apple filing a patent lawsuit against android producing companies it makes me sick. Someone is seriously carrying the Steve Jobs torch to "destroy android" and it's really tragically retarded in the business sense. Even if they were to thwart Google and kill Android, do they really think people will run out to get Iphones? lmao.
What I think is funny about it are all the programmers I know from back in the day that are laughing at this whole situation with Apple suing everyone else for doing what apple did unchallenged, for years.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
if they were to thwart Google and kill Android, do they really think people will run out to get Iphones?

That's exactly what would happen. Android is far and away iOS's biggest competition. You don't see too many questions on "Windows Mobile vs Android/Apple". It's always Apple vs Android. If Apple is successful in this current lawsuit, it could be devastating to any device not running iOS. I guarantee that if Android were killed off, a lot of forum members would run toward Apple. People have become dependent on their smart phone. If Apple is the only way they can get their fix, you're damn right that's where they'll go.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
If Android disappeared tomorrow, believe me when I say, I'd hang on to my Thunderbolt until MS got their act together. I figure I could hold out for two years.

The last thing ANYONE wants is for Apple to be the only game in town.
The average consumer would be pounded in the buttocks with a fury never witnessed by mankind.

illmatic636

Reaction score
That's exactly what would happen. Android is far and away iOS's biggest competition. You don't see too many questions on "Windows Mobile vs Android/Apple". It's always Apple vs Android. If Apple is successful in this current lawsuit, it could be devastating to any device not running iOS. I guarantee that if Android were killed off, a lot of forum members would run toward Apple. People have become dependent on their smart phone. If Apple is the only way they can get their fix, you're damn right that's where they'll go.

+1^^^^

That's what I did. Mainly because of all the Android device releases in the final quarter of last year. Just seems like certain manufacturers were "getting what they can, while they can" Every device seemed to be a "Flag Ship device" and the actual flag ship device (GNex) was terrible!! IMO

People will definitely go to IOS without Android around anymore.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'd go to RIM

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I predict Windows Phone 8 will begin to syphon off iOS and Android users once Apollo launches. Just a hunch.....

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I would hang on to my bionic until it broke then look into windows mobile. But I think moto needs to dig deep into the patent chest and throw something at apple that is a huge blow.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
your trip to RIM would only be a short one. :)

Not if ios was my only other alternative. I've escaped the sheep pen and won't be going back. If they take my phone I'll get a blackberry. If they take my Tab I'll get a laptop.
It looks to me like Apple isn't trying so much for 1 killer blow as much as death by a thousand paper cuts

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I predict Windows Phone 8 will begin to syphon off iOS and Android users once Apollo launches. Just a hunch.....

Yep. I said last year that the things that Microsoft had planned for W8 and WP7+ looked VERY interesting. I almost got laughed out of the forum, but I still stand by that statement. I think they truly have some good stuff cooking up especially with their plan on OS and window scaling across devices.

We're about to see some really sweet tech from them within the next year.