Google and Credit Card info

dylanthecat

Reaction score
Paypal has 2 types of security keys. The first is a text message that gets sent to your phone when you log in. You must enter it to get access. The other is a credit card sized device that generates a code on each use, which must be entered.

japaleno

Reaction score
if you use the electronic key on pay-pal it's safer then any thing else
but you have to use the key
if I could deposit some monies in my google account say 20.00-30.00 at a time and use it till it runs down that would be great, but as I said I'll never be able to buy apps because of their process, this hurts them also
Google knows to much and could be sold one day, I don't want them to know any thing more then they have to
why not use your paypal account to created a one time use secure card to buy an app? It would get to be a pain buying multiple apps, but your card would be secure because it's gone after one use.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
why not use your paypal account to created a one time use secure card to buy an app? It would get to be a pain buying multiple apps, but your card would be secure because it's gone after one use.

I don't think they offer that anymore.

japaleno

Reaction score
I don't think they offer that anymore.
Oh, that sucks if it's true, I haven't used it in a few weeks. That was probably my favorite feature of paypal.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Do you let the waiter at a restaurant take your card to settle the bill? Way more card numbers are stolen that way and used than over the internet. Breaches over the internet tend to involve vast amounts of card info, if your card number is stolen the odds of it being used are still really low just because it's only one of millions. The waiter on the other hand..

RolandOG

Reaction score
I didn't want to use my CC on the Droid so I got a pre-paid CC just for buying apps. No big deal to get it and I don't have to worry about security on the phone.

Palmyra

Reaction score
FWIW - My CC security system

1. A CC through my bank. Chase in this case.

2. A VERY low limit.

3. Bank informed that is only going to be used for online purchases.

4. Set that purchases will only be made with US located companies. Got caught on this when I purchased a 0.99 Euro app. Got a call within minutes from Chase asking about it. I've now set a 5 Euro/5 Pound charge limit.

5. Most importantly: As this card is through my bank and I do 99.9% of my banking online I check the transaction record daily for this card. Just takes a minute or two to do so.

larochelle

Reaction score
There are a number of articles available that compare Google Checkout to Paypal and they are essentially the same when it comes to security and fraud protection. I also read a while back that Google changed their fee structure to match Paypal.

I will say this, though. There are inherent risks that just go along with doing business on the internet and there's no such thing as privacy in cyberspace.You're naive if you think otherwise.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to use my CC on the Droid so I got a pre-paid CC just for buying apps. No big deal to get it and I don't have to worry about security on the phone.
The DROID isn't storing the CC info. Its all kept online.

T

toner9001

Supply CC info. by handheld swiper

Snowman, below is possibly a solution for you. Contact me if interested.
Thanks, Walter
Credit CARD processing+ISO-Certified Toners
Hello Droid Forum folks:
I have a solution for small vendors who wish to process credit cards.
One person asked re: PCI compliance. You must process in a manner that is PCI compliant for your own and your client's protection.
The very best way to accept payment with credit cards is to swipe the CC through a terminal device that must ensure PCI compliance, otherwise you are "toast".The device I speak of is smaller than your hand, is not fragile and this behavior encodes the CC data prior to that data entering your computer, prior to sending it onto the web.
BACKGROUND: I have been inventing, patenting and manufacturing products for the US gov't. and military and name brand companies for more than 40 years. I am extremely security cautious. My companies that manufacture toners/inkjets for name brands are certified ISO 9001:2000, 2004, 2009, 14001 for recycling and EU-CE. We hold seven international certifications. Our TONER9001(tm) VIRGIN toners print 140% OEM page yield at $ 1/2 cost saving you vast amounts of cash. Contact: [email protected].

When you use an ATM machine you are using one of my device/inventions. Helicopters in the military are equipped with Shwayder landing skids/shoes because this device eliminates wear on the skid shoe stopping it from wearing out. Skids used to wear out in 5-8 landings, now, i.e. since 1985, US Army aviation has NEVER worn out a pair of Shwayder helicopter skid shoes, saving our US gov't. billions of dollars.
The former info. is simply to inform you that I am real and protect secuity. If I may serve you...
Please contact me directly: [email protected].
Walter Shwayder IDSA

Natolx

Reaction score
If someone makes a purchase with your credit card and its not you, the merchant gets ****ed over, not you, because they didn't properly check ID/Signature, its in the terms merchants sign to get a merchant account. You get fully refunded with no hit to your credit rating.

People who get really stressed out when they lose their credit card boggle my mind.

RyanRacer48

Reaction score
Guys seriously ... EVEN IF you get your information stolen .. I HIGHLY doubt you have enough money for them to benefit. Not to mention if you have a credit card company in 2010 that would hold you liable for those charges, you should have to pay them out of ignorance.

Mateles

Reaction score
google checkout is just like any other online vendor. if you don't like or don't think that you can trust the site, use a one-time use CC or a virtual number. one of the benefits of using a CC is being able to dispute charges.

i have seen alot of people get burned with dealing with paypal and it is by no means a better system than google retaining your CC info.

do you let Amazon retain your CC info?
I second the virtual account #. I don't think I've used my regular # online since I found out about them.

I'm pretty sure they're only 1 time use though, since I have to get a new one for every app (which I rarely purchase anyway). They have an exp. date of next month, but I had to put in 2 numbers for 2 app purchases on the same day.