Google Account and HTC Sync

turbotaguy

Reaction score
Just got home from Verizon with my shiney new Eris Droid. I plan to use HTC sync to sync with my Outlook.

My question is, what impact does having a Google account have on the sync process, any? I read that once you sign up for a Google account it takes over and tough to sync.

Also, any down side to having the Google account? I have not set it up yet, but felt very heavy pressure from the Verizon rep to have me sign up. She wanted me to do it while I was standing there in the store. What's up with that?

tjoebgen

Reaction score
Just got home from Verizon with my shiney new Eris Droid. I plan to use HTC sync to sync with my Outlook.

My question is, what impact does having a Google account have on the sync process, any? I read that once you sign up for a Google account it takes over and tough to sync.

Also, any down side to having the Google account? I have not set it up yet, but felt very heavy pressure from the Verizon rep to have me sign up. She wanted me to do it while I was standing there in the store. What's up with that?

I'm new at this too, so I don't know the answer to your question about google making it tough to sync. I do know (as you probably do by now) that since the OS is google's, many of the default features work through google's other properties: mail, calendar, etc. Once I set my google account up, other things became available to my phone.

Puffy

Reaction score
Google contact updates happen anytime the list changes, sync happens through the usb to your puter. They are not connected.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Google contact updates happen anytime the list changes, sync happens through the usb to your puter. They are not connected.

Android does not support syncing to your computer like Palms do. It is designed to sync to your Gmail account. It will sync SMS, MMS, Email, contacts, and calendar. If you resist and don't sign up, none of these will sync. Sure - you can use something like MyBackup Pro to back most things up and then send the backup file to your PC or the MyBackup Pro site, but it's just easiest to go the Gmail route. I do MyBackup Pro in addition, just to be sure. One advantage to registering is that entering your calendar online is easier than on your Droid - specifically, you can't enter a bi-weekly meeting on Android but can do it online.

Resistance is futile! Capacitance, on the other hand...

Puffy

Reaction score
I use HTC sync. Works just fine. It's on their website.

droidforum

Reaction score
I use HTC sync. Works just fine. It's on their website.

Can you please give more info?

Are you saying that you use HTC Sync on a Motorola Droid (not a Droid Eris?)

Which version? There seem to be many flavors on the HTC site- for Hero and Droid Eris. Which did you get to use on the Motorola Droid?

(Also, the 2.04 version does not seem to have a Download button and there's a 2.08, but I think that's for HTC Magic.)