Golf GPS App question.

robotpoop

Reaction score
I'm looking for a gps golfing app for my droid eris that I could add courses to. I'm sure it's possible to do i'm just wondering if one exists.

any insight is greatly appreciated.

Coop1969

Reaction score
I'm looking for a gps golfing app for my droid eris that I could add courses to. I'm sure it's possible to do i'm just wondering if one exists.

any insight is greatly appreciated.

GPS Caddy and Sky Droid don't have many courses mapped in my area, but your area may be different. I currently use Golf Card. The distances are very accurate. I haven't figured out how to use it with hazards. I primarily use it for approach shots to the green.

I downloaded Golf Logix and am going to try it out. Its probably the best, but its up to the individual whether or not its worth $40/year.

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Im also using golf card. You can "map" a golf course yourself using a thick client they supply for free on their website. Ive only used it maybe a half dozen times, and agree that some of the distances were not very accurate. However, the courses that I mapped I found to be very good.

Im pretty sure you can update a mapping too... so if you found one that was not good, you could potentially fix it. The risk is of course that someone else could overlay YOUR mapping.

The other challenge I ran into when mapping a local course is that the "dividing line" of where Google maps satellite pictures were stitched together happened to be in the middle of the course. So part of some of the holes were bright and well lit, and part was dark. I also suspect the distances may be off there as well, but thanks to all the snow we have had recently I havent had the chance to test it yet.

Overall, I thought GolfCard was very good... especially for the price, and given that you can map any course that you want. I even was able to map courses that I had never played by looking at the course layouts on the course website, then finding the holes in the mapping program. Even then I think it only took me about 15 minutes to map a course.

jc

OP
R

robotpoop

Reaction score
I downloaded Skydroid and mapped out a favorite local course of mine. My question, however, is how long does it take for my course to show up? It's on the site under "new" but doesn't show up when I search for it through the app.

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
TeeDroid Caddy is great, but I'm not sure what happens after 45 days (free trial maybe?). Great app though. I just downloaded Accel Golf and DroidCaddie Free, I'll report back. Check these out if you have time, I think Accel Golf is free.

wsul

Reaction score
Our app, Accel Golf, is free. We have thousands of courses which are shared with iPhone and BlackBerry users. If we're missing a course, you can map it easily on our website at AccelGolf.com.

Please let us know what improvements you'd like to see!

crspang

Reaction score
Man I wish I had the time to play golf again like I used to. Being self employed sucks sometimes.

jeb1126

Reaction score
How Far am I. Is a good free app. l found they are a little limited on the courses they have.

red22769

Reaction score
downloaded Accel Golf app to my DROID, and cannot close it without shutting phone off...

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I think I saw one of the developers (or THE developer) of Accel Golf in this forum. Look around and ask him, I think I remember him being pretty helpful.

acritchf

Reaction score
skydroid

I HIGHLY recommend SKYDROID.

There were no courses in my area so I mapped all of the courses I play. I found this to be a lot of fun too.

dsharrock42

Reaction score
I happen to see several questions about Golf Logix on the Motorola Droid. I have a SG2.5 Sky Caddie also and called Golf Logix to ask some questions. When you download Golf Logix you have a 24 hour trial (not the total $39 program version) that runs for a total of 24 continuous hours (not run it 5 hours today and add another 5 hour round of golf tomorrow). I emailed their customer service and had a phone call back in less than 5 min; after my questions were answered the tech support person extended my trial version for 7 more days. I have used it several times including a round today and it works quite well. There are no computer downloads as on SkyCaddie; you open it and it finds the course you are on. The green front, center, and back distances are within 1 to 2 yds of SkyCaddie. There is a screen for distances to hazards, layups, and greens (a bit bigger and easier to read than SkyCaddie but similar infomation. If you touch a green round ball on the right middle side of the distance screen an aerial view of a google map comes up showing you the actual hole (not a drawing). An email I received today from Golf Logix states that there is a point and touch distance tracer on the map that can tell you the distance to any point on the picture with the full $39.95 version. Battery life for me is averaging about 60% left at the end of a 4 1/2 hour round. If you cut the battery brightness to about 650 or 60% you can still see colors fine and it will increase battery life. There is a stat and shot analysis system that I have not used but it sounds like you enter data on their website to get more detailed info. My 2.5 Sky Caddie is black and white and certainly has a much smaller screen than the Droid color. The point that the SkyCaddie can take a dropping on the ground better than the Droid phone may be a good point; my 2.5 SkyCaddie is much smaller in size than the Droid. To me Golf Logix gives me more info, esp with the aerial hole view, than the Intelligreen Sky Caddie green info which gives only a hint of the green slopes. The new SkyCaddie SGX seems to offer lots of info that Golf Logix might not have but the customer reviews on the new SGX ($400) are full of complaints at present. At $39.99 Golf Logix gives you over 25,000 courses. There are lots of other free and low cost golf gps apps on the Droid market but most of them don't seem to show much more than the front, middle, and back green distances and the reviews on most fo the golf apps have lots of negatives. Finally, I have not had a need in 3 years to call Sky Caddie; but I got a personal return call from Golf Logix within 5 minutes of an email to them. Hope this info is some help....