Golf App that does NOT use Google Maps??

jaywbigred

Reaction score
Hello all, n00b here.

I've had my MotoDroid for a couple weeks now and have reviewed the various threads (Exhibit A, Exhibit B, Exhibit C, etc,) on this forum regarding golf rangefinder (or gps or distance or whatever you want to call them) apps, but the ones I have tested out haven't been that great.

What I am really looking for is a golf App that does NOT use Google Maps for their mapping pictures. The lack of zoom, the slowness of the updating of location on the map (often times not knowing that i've switched holes), the seems in the maps, the propensity for 1 of the map squares not to download, the lack of clarity in the satellite photos, etc...all make the golf apps that use Google Maps kind of annoying to me.

Does anyone know of an app that has maps that are "fake," i.e. cartoon like/computer drawn? More akin to the type of map from a SkyCaddie:

SkyCaddie_SGX.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/golf/1/0/m/E/1/SkyCaddie_SGX.jpg

I'd be willing to pay "whatever" for an app like this (though I will not pay ongoing user fees). I played with someone once who had such an App for iPhone, and reported it was $27.99.

Thanks to anyone with any information!

irishdroid

Reaction score
I have tried them all and the only one that I find reliable is the app from Golf Logix. But, face it, if you want a quality app like you are describing it will cost a membership fee. The download is available from the Golf Logix web site and is free to try for one round. After that there is a yearly subscriber fee I think around 40.00 if I remember right. I dont even carry a scorecard any more I fill it out after the round. This app tracks your stats per round, cumulitave stats even club performance.

Like I said, Ive tried the other apps on the market and have had issues with them all except for the Golf Logix app.

OP
J

jaywbigred

Reaction score
I would agree with you save that the iPhone app I saw explicitly did not have an annual subscription fee.

But you're right, it appears Golf Logix is what I am looking for.

Kobra

Reaction score
I have done allot of research on this of late and I know what you saying regarding the iphone app. I played in a 3 day tournament this past week in Myrtle Beach, SC and my playing partner had an iphone app called golfshot it was awesome. It had everything you need including stats, GPS, and scorecard. I was using the Skydroid app for GPS when needed and a laser range finder I borrowed from my Dad. I looked in the market for Golfshot and couldn't find it. It appears its only on iphone right now. I sent the developer an email asking if it was going to be ported to droid and right now they said not at this time. Perhaps if more asked for it perhaps they will change their minds.

The only one I saw on the market tht came close was Golfcard for android. It says on their site they are soon to reveal Traced Images to get around Googles licensing and allow non gps images stored locally. The statement on their site says "New patent pending feature: Finally, a no maintenance range finder. As you walk from the tee to the hole the map will automatically recenter, zoom, and rotate to always keep you at the bottom and the hole at the top, so you always know what’s directly between you and the hole. Just touch the screen to determine the best layup point"

My Dad downloaded it yesterday but he has not used it yet. I played with it a bit yesterday and its allot harder to navigate than what i saw with the guy using Golfshot for the iphone.

Oh GolfShot for the iphone is $30.00 with no reoccuring fees, but after seeing it in action I wish they would develop it for Android. GolfCard for android is $9.99 I beleive with no reoccuring fees.

Guchi

Reaction score
golfLogix? try that one out maybe...

tktouch12

Reaction score
Skydroid golf. It uses google maps sometimes. But it also has an easy to read screen. I think its pretty good and $1 is a lot better than $40

Kobra

Reaction score
Well Golf Logix costs per $40.00 per year and skydroid although great with with basic GPS but the overhead maps do not rotate to your playing angle which is a pain, and does not have stats or scorecard options. I wouldn't mind paying a one time fee of $40 for a full featured app myself. Especially when GPS only units for Golf costs 3-4 times that.