Going from the X to the X2

greycobalt

Reaction score
Verizon is sending me an X2 tomorrow because of the all hardware issues I've had with refurbished X1s. I didn't realize until I read this forum that the X2 hasn't had Gingerbread yet, I assumed they would be the same because of their physical similarities. So that may or may not affect my actual question:

I finally got everything set up on my X1 how I like (it's not rooted, I decided to stick with stock for a while), and I was wondering if there's any non-root method (nandroid, etc.) for directly copying all settings and layouts over so I don't need to set everything up from scratch again. That would be fantastic.

What's the word been on Gingerbread for this (and the other phones)? Is it being delayed because of the bugs, or are they just sluggish at putting it out? Any estimates? Thanks everyone for your help.

Verizon is sending me an X2 tomorrow because of the all hardware issues I've had with refurbished X1s. I didn't realize until I read this forum that the X2 hasn't had Gingerbread yet, I assumed they would be the same because of their physical similarities. So that may or may not affect my actual question: X2 is skinned to look like GB, you will still experience the speed and flow of your X with GB.

I finally got everything set up on my X1 how I like (it's not rooted, I decided to stick with stock for a while), and I was wondering if there's any non-root method (nandroid, etc.) for directly copying all settings and layouts over so I don't need to set everything up from scratch again. That would be fantastic.
I don't think there is a way in totality, some stuff seems to replicate i.e. contacts but apps and layout, I just keep notes and redo. Good news is, I believe apps that you downloaded remember you when you reload. I saw that with Words with Friends, it remembered games in progress.
What's the word been on Gingerbread for this (and the other phones)? Is it being delayed because of the bugs, or are they just sluggish at putting it out? Any estimates? Thanks everyone for your help.
The physical similarities with the phone are where much of the similarity seems to end. Several proposals of GB for the X2 have been submitted and rejected.
Best of luck! Enjoy.

Correction: In researching, looks like a possible answer is a free app in Market called "MyBackUp" take a look.

Last edited:
Make sure you have your X set up to back up and restore data. Settings->Privacy->Back up my dada and Automatic restore

A lot of apps will let you back and restore your settings from SD (I just did Launcher Pro, Go SMS, Go Dialer, Gentle Alarm and a handful of others yesterday). When you get your new X2, put your SD card in it and then make sure your X2 is set to use your SD card instead of internal storage before trying to restore backups (Settings->SD card & phone storage settings->Storage location)

Like I said above, if you're using Launcher Pro or probably most of the top favorite launchers, you can back up your homescreen that way. You'll need to redo your widgets but the rest should show.

Also, it might be a good idea to install AppBrain Market. I've had trouble with apps auto-reloading before and AppBrain makes it easy in that case.

Yeah I have all that done, I just hate resetting my whole layout every time. :( And I hope I didn't get too used to Gingerbread, there were some new features I was really liking.

And after I typed this I just turned on the X2 and activated it and from initial appearances the OS is extremely similar to 2.3. Color, launcher, menus, everything. Hopefully this will hold me over. :)

Yeah I have all that done, I just hate resetting my whole layout every time. :( And I hope I didn't get too used to Gingerbread, there were some new features I was really liking.

And after I typed this I just turned on the X2 and activated it and from initial appearances the OS is extremely similar to 2.3. Color, launcher, menus, everything. Hopefully this will hold me over. :)

The Droid X2 comes with 2.2, but looks like gingerbread. Same layout, so most of the features of gingerbread are on the Droid X2 but on froyo.

I did the same thing and got a Droid X2 for all my problematic droid x's. Not very impressed with the Droid X2 yet. You will notice it is very laggy and slow compared to the Droid X on gingerbread. I'm assuming 2.3 gingerbread will resolve these current issues. So until they do update to 2.3 i went out and bought another Droid X and its now my primary phone again.

Yeah, bizarre it has almost everything GB did. I like it though.

I've only noticed lag when the battery was about to die, but we'll see what happens. I haven't used it a ton yet. Hopefully they fix the bugginess of GB and get it out there. I wish instead of focusing on mass-producing 50 different kinds of phones under every brand, they'd focus on utilizing the hardware/software of each one and optimizing it first before moving on. But Apple jacked it all up with the "1 out per year with minor differences" release schedule.

Back