Going back to Froyo due to tether issues

rmr0012

Reaction score
I spent most of last week researching and getting rooted GB on my DX only to discover wireless tether (3.0 yellow icon) also launches the stock hotspot app and directs me to the verizon page. I've downloaded the TBH patch, but honestly I'm hesitant to use it since from what I've read it works via the stock app to tether.

Given the main reason I root is to tether, I'm thinking of sbfing back to froyo due to the apparent increased monitoring of tethering unless someone out there knows another option I'm missing? I rarely make it to the 2gb mark on my phone, but I'd rather not deal with it until a better solution comes along. I liked Gb for the short time I was on it. Any issues with reverting back to Froyo when GB is being pushed out?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, you just have to sbf back.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

Fitter459

Reaction score
I am rooted on tbh. .596 gb and have not had any trouble with wireless tether. I rooted using andysapppack I will try to find the post and link it.

Edit. Can't. Figure out how yo post a link from my phone. The thread is titled "A very easy guide to rooting"

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's amazing then, if you rooted the OTA GB. I haven't heard of anyone being able to.

Fitter459

Reaction score
Just a thought can you freeze 3g hotshot app with titanium backup, with out disabling the tether functions?
Just looked in ti back up, some how I currently do not have 3g mobile hotspot installed, the application is shown but I appears that it is from a previous installation. The app is listed near the bottom, but has line through it.

Last edited:
OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
I still haven't sbf'd back yet. I heard you can freeze the status bar and it will not launch the hot spot app when you launch tether. I tested and it still did not work and when you unfreeze the status bar it didn't automatically relaunch. Kind of a pain. It would b e nice of I could freeze the hot spot app and it not direct me to the verizon page.

Fitter459

Reaction score
So you don't show an app for 3g hotspot?

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
I don't see it, no. I'm using a free trail of a root explorer that can freeze apps as a test. Maybe Titanium would work better or see it.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't freeze the mobile hotpot app. Its built into GB and doesn't show up in the system files. Unfortunately, I wish it was like Froyo...

Fitter459

Reaction score
There is a free version of ti backup as well, not sure what is different though. I use the pro version.

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
Ok, thanks I'll take a look. I'd like to just use the tbh patch but the fact that that it launches the stock app still and Verizon is apparently attempting to monitor this, as Brad92 stated Froyo might be the option.

vincent518

Reaction score
The on-device recording of data use on gingerbread can be avoided by freezing the datamanagerservice.apk and deleting the database in /data/data/com.motorola.android.datamanager/databases.

However, if you're using an exorbitant amount of data, you're still going to warrant individual attention. This works for me perfectly I use wireless tether v2.0.7

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Fitter459

Reaction score
It could be the listing in my ti backup is a record of 3g hotspot installed from Froyo. I am also using wireless tether 2.0.7, barnacle did not seem to work correctly.

OP
R

rmr0012

Reaction score
That's an interesting idea; freezing the data record. I'm curious if Verizon actually uses that or just monitors your actual network activity. I might use maybe 5-10gb total (not all just tethering). In the past I've seen folks use 20gb+ with no issues, but this was in Froyo.