Go FROYO - Source Released

etx_droid

Reaction score
how can you install SPRecovery without root access.?

EDIT: Nevermind, he deleted it :icon_ banana:
I deleted it because I was making a longer post, but it pretty much was saying what dmartins was saying...if this is wrong please correct me. I just don't see how it is root when you aren't even accessing the Android OS at the time of installing SPrecovery...it's just the BIOS really...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
its the same process you still have to flash the SBF, so no un rooted droids cant get froyo unless they root.

THIS.

"root" doesn't JUST mean typing "su". It means having access to change things that a non-root user cannot. That DOES include the recovery console. So, in summary - if you have to install SPRecovery or Clockwork, that means that you had to use superuser access to do it (via RSDLite), and you have effectively "rooted" your phone. Just because you didn't install the su binary to allow continued access to su doesn't mean that you didn't already install unapproved software and modify system files that a normal non-root user cannot.

When a Froyo Release Candidate gets released that is signed to be installable on the Droid WITHOUT SPRECOVERY - that is when we can say that rooting is not required.
SPRecovery is not root.
You aren't even in the OS so how is it root?
It just mounts your system as read/write.

sprecovery is root...root means you have access to files that you would not have had without having root or "superuser" priviliges. You don't need to be in the OS to have root. The ninja guy is just a graphical representation of root (not the best way to put it i know), but you are rooted the minute you flash an alternate recovery on your phone, in fact you have to be "rooted" to even do that.

you can't put froyo on your phone without being rooted. that's just how it is.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
On Engadget I thought I saw a comment from Senjay saying that the X and original Droid would both get Froyo at the same time.

well the verizon site for the droid shows that our beloved droid will be running Flash late summer. so i would assume 2.2 at the same time or at least very close.

And when I got my moto-droid in early November of 2009 I recall hearing Flash would be available sometime 1st quarter. Sometimes these things take a little longer than expected.

You don't need root access to install SPrecovery, you install it before the OS even boots. SPrecovery is how I rooted my phone...

It still voids the warranty. RSD Lite gives you root access to replace the default recovery tool. You may not have admin or root access as the user on the rom but you sure did when you replaced the recovery tool.

They really should change the warranty clause to read "if your phone is returned to us with out an official OS and the official recovery tool then we can not honor your warranty."

Anyways, good news, we are one step closer. For the lack of meaning of this for non-roots I say "nay", for this means moto/verizon now can proceed on making the droid version ready for release. For roots this means another version to play with. For all of us perhaps moto will add some newer goodies to their flavor of it that we all can use.

edit: took so long thinking this one out someone else already posted the same thing, almost right before this post! :)

etx_droid

Reaction score
You don't need root access to install SPrecovery, you install it before the OS even boots. SPrecovery is how I rooted my phone...

WHY do people insist upon continuing to propagate this??
Installing SPRecovery *IS* rooting.

SPRecovery gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot change. It does so by allowing you to install any unsigned update.zip files that you want to. su gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot. It does so by allowing you to type a command to modify any files that you want to. Notice a similarity? I'll give you a hint - it's in italics.

Just because you don't have su installed, does NOT mean that you didn't do the equivalent of rooting to get something else installed.

The Bottom Line here - people who don't want to root their phones should understand that running RSDLite and flashing SPRecovery gives the same result as conventional rooting - you end up with a phone that is modified from the stock form in a manner that is not approved by Verizon/Motorola, and is running software that is not approved by either of them. If somebody doesn't want to root, chances are, they ALSO don't want to be flashing alternate recovery consoles. And if they don't see the similarities between those two, they shouldn't be doing either. I don't want to deal with the mass of people saying "I don't understand how my phone got screwed up, I didn't even root!" but then proceed to explain how they used SPRecovery to install some random broken update.zip they found on megaupload.

I see your logic, but I still didn't think I had a rooted phone until I had su permissions on the OS...anyways not trying to start a war so I'm done :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

WHY do people insist upon continuing to propagate this??
Installing SPRecovery *IS* rooting.

SPRecovery gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot change. It does so by allowing you to install any unsigned update.zip files that you want to. su gives you the ability to modify system files that a normal user cannot. It does so by allowing you to type a command to modify any files that you want to. Notice a similarity? I'll give you a hint - it's in italics.

Just because you don't have su installed, does NOT mean that you didn't do the equivalent of rooting to get something else installed.

The Bottom Line here - people who don't want to root their phones should understand that running RSDLite and flashing SPRecovery gives the same result as conventional rooting - you end up with a phone that is modified from the stock form in a manner that is not approved by Verizon/Motorola, and is running software that is not approved by either of them. If somebody doesn't want to root, chances are, they ALSO don't want to be flashing alternate recovery consoles. And if they don't see the similarities between those two, they shouldn't be doing either. I don't want to deal with the mass of people saying "I don't understand how my phone got screwed up, I didn't even root!" but then proceed to explain how they used SPRecovery to install some random broken update.zip they found on megaupload.

I see your logic, but I still didn't think I had a rooted phone until I had su permissions on the OS...anyways not trying to start a war so I'm done :)

by flashing an alternate recovery you had superuser permissions. you couldn't flash an alternate recovery if you didnt.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
SPRecovery is not root.

1). /system can only be modified by the root user
2). /system is being modified by SPRecovery

Therefore, SPRecovery has root access.

You're confusing a root user prompt with "root access" I think.

The main problem here is advertising that you can install something "without root", when in fact, you take exactly the same risks and void all the same warranties, and subtract out that single su binary. I posted this in another thread, maybe this makes the distinction clearer.

Installing SPRecovery saying that you're "not rooting", is like saying that you're having oral sex and "not cheating" on your wife. You're getting in exactly as much trouble, and making the distinction doesn't change anything.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
SPRecovery is not root.

1). /system can only be modified by the root user
2). /system is being modified by SPRecovery

Therefore, SPRecovery has root access.

You're confusing a root user prompt with "root access" I think.

The main problem here is advertising that you can install something "without root", when in fact, you take exactly the same risks and void all the same warranties, and subtract out that single su binary. I posted this in another thread, maybe this makes the distinction clearer.

Installing SPRecovery saying that you're "not rooting", is like saying that you're having oral sex and "not cheating" on your wife. You're getting in exactly as much trouble, and making the distinction doesn't change anything.

hahaha...grreat analogy.

wingdo

Reaction score
This thread has gotten WAY off topic. Let's steer it back on topic ..... When will the first ROM built with the official source be out??? Who will do it???? Will it just be a compiled version or will it have all the whiz bang features we want???? Will 928Droid have to create an all new theme??? Will my dogs all finally get along???

Phxphenom

Reaction score
This thread has gotten WAY off topic. Let's steer it back on topic ..... When will the first ROM built with the official source be out??? Who will do it???? Will it just be a compiled version or will it have all the whiz bang features we want???? Will 928Droid have to create an all new theme??? Will my dogs all finally get along???

Does anyone know how to change the clock on my VCR?
j/k :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thread has gone a little off topic. This is not the place to discussion root vs not rooted. It is about the Froyo source release. :)

Back in line folks :) Thank you!

Aiesline

Reaction score
I did a happy dance when I saw this :) Cant WAIT to see what our awesome devs come up with!