Gmail Sync problem

Canefan

Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my inbox on my phone is not syncing with my Gmail inbox the way it used to. I am getting new Emails when they come in, but it used to be that if I read it on my phone it would appear as read on Gmail. Also, if I deleted the Email on my phone, it would disappear from my inbox on Gmail. Neither of these things are happening correctly anymore. Anybody have any suggestions. I've hit refresh multiple times, and turned sync off and on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've noticed lately that my inbox on my phone is not syncing with my Gmail inbox the way it used to. I am getting new Emails when they come in, but it used to be that if I read it on my phone it would appear as read on Gmail. Also, if I deleted the Email on my phone, it would disappear from my inbox on Gmail. Neither of these things are happening correctly anymore. Anybody have any suggestions. I've hit refresh multiple times, and turned sync off and on.

I was having sync issues where I wasn't receiving e-mails in a timely manner, and one of the moderators said they'd seen quite a few posts where people were having problems with sync. My guess is it's just the server if it used to work properly and isn't now. Give it some time...maybe try restarting the phone? And see what happens.

My issue seems to not exist anymore.

naman919

Reaction score
I'm still having this issue as of today.

Was a definite answer ever established for this problem?

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score
What fixed it for me was to go into the application settings for Gmail and Gmail storage and clear the data. The phone then re-synced and all has been fine ever since.

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score
Sure.

Go to menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.

Then click menu -> Filter -> All.

Scroll down until you see the Gmail and Gmail Storage. Click both of these and select clear data.

The phone will then resync with Gmail and all should be well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I also cleared the cache...Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I did it...Gmail force closed when I first opened it, but then it synced and all my e-mail were still there...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh yeah! THANKS! Also...when I cleared both items, I just got an e-mail, and the default notification got turned back on (I like it to just flash the LED rather than make a noise and/or vibrate, so I can check my e-mail if I notice the LED...)

Just a heads up if you're like me!

droider4life

Reaction score
Mine does it again lately. Thinking a good clearing of data/etc is gonna have to be regular...

I will definately remember this one.... I was getting a little frustrated yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong.. (idea) Maybe there is An app for auto deletion of the data in our gmail.... LOL j/k :)