Gmail Notification Number Unread

xjeff99

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just upgrade from a S4 to the Note 4 and so far love it. I haven't had the time to really delve into the inner details of the phone, however one thing I have noticed is that I can't get this one feature to work - the unread messages from GMail on the icon. Any idea?

I didn't have that on my note 3 and quite frankly hated it when it was one my Turbo. I'm not sure if it's something you can enable or if it is model specific.

I think that feature is phone model specific, whether or not the phone has a Badger app to display those unread numbers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If the phone won't do that stock, another homescreen launcher will. I use Apex with Apex notifier. Nova should do the same too

Commenting so I can find this thread later.

I just sent myself a couple of test emails to check this. So far, with only one received, I don't have the counter badge either.

Not really a big deal to me for gmail, but it's funny if it doesn't work that way for it, because I get the unread badge for Facebook often times before the Facebook app lets me know I have a notification. Facebook Messenger also shows the number of messages waiting.

Having typed all of that, I've not received 3 emails and don't have a badge on the icon letting me know.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that gmail now supports multiple email addresses. I made sure to select the account that I had sent the emails to in my gmail app and backed out, but still don't see the badge. I have several addresses setup in there.

As CJM said, many launchers (homescreen replacements) offer a counter function like this.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that gmail now supports multiple email addresses. I made sure to select the account that I had sent the emails to in my gmail app and backed out, but still don't see the badge. I have several addresses setup in there.

As CJM said, many launchers (homescreen replacements) offer a counter function like this.

I have my G Mail app pulling mail from two different Hotmail accounts. But I only get unread counts for my primary G Mail account inbox, not the other accounts. On my Droid Maxx I get unread badger counts on the G Mail app, Phone / Dialer app, Messaging app and the stock E Mail app.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sorry, yeah. I get unread counts on the dialer. I don't think I get them on Hangouts, but I did on the stock messaging app. The account I have setup in the stock email app doesn't get very many emails, so I'm not sure on that one, but I'd assume I get them there too.

I thought I did on gmail, but the address I sent my test emails to was my primary gmail account. It's the one I use all the time and give out to people who's emails I actually care about. Haha!

The other is my Outlook account, which I previously only used for my resume, but now I sign up for certain things where the emails aren't as important for me to get, which is silly, since I've got that account setup in my gmail app as well.

3 of the other 4 I have setup in there, I need to delete because I changed the host for my website, so I've got to setup new addresses with the new host and on my phone.

Back