Gmail chat for pc is google talk?

Jlm1025

Reaction score
New droid charge owner here. I am trying to use gmail chat with my droid, seems that google talk is what I should use? My question is will my friends (contacts) have to download google talk on their pc in order to chat?.....droid to pc chat is what I am hoping to accomplish.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. If your friends have GMail, they can enable GTalk from there.

OP
J

Jlm1025

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. If your friends have GMail, they can enable GTalk from there.

So is google talk something extra they would need to download or would just good ole gmail chat work? I have had my gmail account for years so I am confused about this google talk. Btw, thanks for such quick response!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not remember downloading anything on my computer. When I open my browser and Gmail "Chat" appears on the left. Or, I can access my Gmail contacts and mouse over which opens a window to chat, email, or phone (I think). Interestingly, if your friends have a Mac and use iChat it will interface with Gtalk. Gtalk saves your conversations which is helpful, IMO.

OP
J

Jlm1025

Reaction score
I do not remember downloading anything on my computer. When I open my browser and Gmail "Chat" appears on the left. Or, I can access my Gmail contacts and mouse over which opens a window to chat, email, or phone (I think). Interestingly, if your friends have a Mac and use iChat it will interface with Gtalk. Gtalk saves your conversations which is helpful, IMO.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help this newbie. Lol I cant wait to use this feature

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help this newbie. Lol I cant wait to use this feature

You are welcome. Let us know how you like Gtalk or if you have any additional questions.