Gmail "All Mail"

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
When setting up gmail using IMAP in K9, I had to set the NAMESPACE setting to [Gmail] or I would get extra labels showing up when I logged into gmail.com

The labels are on the left side at gmail.com...something like [IMAP]Inbox

nerdbox08

Reaction score
When setting up gmail using IMAP in K9, I had to set the NAMESPACE setting to [Gmail] or I would get extra labels showing up when I logged into gmail.com

I tested this, but when I put [Gmail] in the IMAP namespace, it won't load my created folders any longer.

Is this normal? I am sorry if I am asking you these questions, but you seem to have a better handle on this than me, lol

This is the reason I left K9 in the first place. Those extra [IMAP] Folders.

OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score

I just looked @ gmail.com - there don't seem to be additional labels. I didn't mess with anything, I just put in my email addy and password.

One annoying thing is I'm getting notifications of new email from both gmail and k9 - I guess I could turn them off in gmail.

Also, do you know if the k9 notification will disappear on my droid if I've already opened the email @ gmail.com? With the gmail app, it disappears.

unknowndroid

Reaction score
I don't understand what you guys are talking about. All Mail is where all your archived mail goes. It also keeps a copy of sent mail. Go on line and you can see it in your gmail.

If you are using straight gmail there is no need to use K9. Great app but it's not necessary for gmail.

You are correct, that is what All Mail is. It is handled in Gmail on the Droid and Droid X as a Label. So, if you choose Menu>Labels>All Mail, you should get "everything" to load. The issue that we are describing here, is that it starts to load and then blinks back to the Inbox every time.

If you have something archived, or don't know which label it is under, All Mail is a good way to find it.

Search for it, you say? No go, if you click on a message in the search results, it bounces you back to the Inbox as well.

Also, for the person who asked about Root. I am not rooted, and having the problem, so I don't think Root did it to you.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
there don't seem to be additional labels. I didn't mess with anything, I just put in my email addy and password.

One annoying thing is I'm getting notifications of new email from both gmail and k9 - I guess I could turn them off in gmail.

Also, do you know if the k9 notification will disappear on my droid if I've already opened the email @ gmail.com? With the gmail app, it disappears.

Hm, I was having a problem where it was making new folder/labels.

You can use K9 and the gmail app together. As you said, you can turn off the notifications in the gmail app. Alternatively, turn off the syncing of your gmail under phone settings if you'd rather not use the gmail app. (That would save a bit of battery power too.)

As far as your notification question, I'm not sure. You'll have to try it out.

I don't know about syncing the extra custom labels in gmail, but from what loopyloops is saying, if it was a bug in an earlier version of K9, it may be fixed now. Perhaps the [Gmail] namespace setting is not needed????

Last edited:
OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score
there don't seem to be additional labels. I didn't mess with anything, I just put in my email addy and password.

Hm, I was having a problem where it was making new folder/labels.

You can use K9 and the gmail app together. As you said, you can turn off the notifications in the gmail app. Alternatively, turn off the syncing of your gmail under phone settings if you'd rather not use the gmail app. (That would save a bit of battery power too.)

As far as your notification question, I'm not sure. You'll have to try it out.

I don't know about syncing the extra custom labels in gmail, but from what loopyloops is saying, if it was a bug in an earlier version of K9, it may be fixed now. Perhaps the [Gmail] namespace setting is not needed????

Thanks! It does seem to disappear - just not instantly like the gmail app.

213ninja

Reaction score
In order to try and troubleshoot I removed 2 of my gmail accounts...which didn't do jack for the issue at hand by the way...and now for some reason I am not able to re-add them. I go to accounts and add Google, choose Sign In and enter my credentials....and then it just hangs at the screen that says it could take 5 mins to connect. After about 1 minute it returns a message saying it couldn't communicate with the server. HOT. And even hotter, the fact that it was all in vain.......

I tried battery pulls to no avail...each time I try to add another of my gmail accounts I receive an error stating: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care."

unknowndroid

Reaction score
I had the same problem adding new account. A factory reset was the only thing that fixed mine. I've seen a few other threads that seem to point to a factory reset as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

213ninja

Reaction score
I had the same problem adding new account. A factory reset was the only thing that fixed mine. I've seen a few other threads that seem to point to a factory reset as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Did that occur after root? Or no root?

Thanks

213ninja

Reaction score
In order to try and troubleshoot I removed 2 of my gmail accounts...which didn't do jack for the issue at hand by the way...and now for some reason I am not able to re-add them. I go to accounts and add Google, choose Sign In and enter my credentials....and then it just hangs at the screen that says it could take 5 mins to connect. After about 1 minute it returns a message saying it couldn't communicate with the server. HOT. And even hotter, the fact that it was all in vain.......

I tried battery pulls to no avail...each time I try to add another of my gmail accounts I receive an error stating: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care."

factory reset corrected this issue with adding additional gmail accounts...but the "all mail reverting to inbox" issue is still occurring.....smells like a DEFECT!

OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score
I might be speaking too soon, but I seem to be able to load and stay at all mail - at least this morning.

unknowndroid

Reaction score
Yeah, just checked mine and it is loading All Mail without issue. In the interim, I had switched to K9 to see how I liked it. I'm sticking with K9, much better than built in Gmail client.

OP
L

loopyloops

Reaction score
Yeah, just checked mine and it is loading All Mail without issue. In the interim, I had switched to K9 to see how I liked it. I'm sticking with K9, much better than built in Gmail client.

I did the same thing - though I don't know if I'm committed to the switch. It did create (though I don't know if this is an issues) on extra folder in my gmail - an "imap sent" folder.