gmail account hacked twice now

lostinvast

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my gmail being hacked. Its happened twice since I got my phone 3 months ago. Before that, I had gmail several years undisturbed. Never hacked. This time they changed my password and I cannot recover it. I keep getting the same message, that my account is disabled. Everyone on my mail list is receiving spam. You get the gist of it. My question is - can we get a list of known applications that are risky for hacks? I want to know what to avoid, and what to uninstall because its a major inconvenience. Thanks in advance :)

OP
lostinvast

lostinvast

Reaction score
ps just some extra info - I did change my password 3x since the first hack, and I am a new smart phone owner. I do not know very much at all on how to prevent this sort of thing. So if you can give me some insight on preventitive methods that'd be great.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
more likely your computer has a virus

HarshReality

Reaction score
more likely your computer has a virus

Gotta agree with that one once would be a fluke, 2x would be somebody close pranking on you but 3 times.. your checking your gmail from a source that is unsecured and your sending them the information ;)

OP
lostinvast

lostinvast

Reaction score
I would not suspect my droid caused this, but what I was thinking was perhaps the user-made applications I download in the market place. That has nothing to do with it?

I created my gmail account about 5 years ago. I do not use it ever. I still do not use it on my droid. I use AOL. I just had to set up my gmail on my droid because I was prompted to do so. That is why I would guess it has something to do with an application I got from the market, and not from my mac per se. As I do not log into my gmail on my mac, or anywhere else for that fact.

Are the aps coming from unsecured sources? (once again I know nothing about this so if you need to explain it to me like a child, please do lol)

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
We may need to know what apps you have. Maybe there's a conflict. I'd say a list or maybe a link if you have AppBrain.

OP
lostinvast

lostinvast

Reaction score
We may need to know what apps you have. Maybe there's a conflict. I'd say a list or maybe a link if you have AppBrain.

here are all my aps that I downloaded and are currently installed that were not included with the phone:

Advanced Task Killer (free)
amazon.com
aring
bank of america
barcode scanner
color flashlight
color notes
coupons
dailyhoroscopes
dictionary.com
e!online
eBay
Garage sale rover
Hi AIM
HotelsByMe
iMusic (this one I recently got through my browser in my phone, not the market, because it's not in the store anymore for some reason?)
Launcher Pro
Mabilo wallpapers
Movies
MP3 Download
Music Wizard
NYC Bus & Subway Maps
PayPal
pho-to-twitter
Photobucket
Pkt Auctions eBay
Ringdroid
Shazam
The Weather Channel
Tip Calc
twitter
Uninstaller
Word Up!
Yelp
Zedge

Last edited:
OP
lostinvast

lostinvast

Reaction score
oh, I also create the most outlandishly bizarre passwords my over-active imagination has to provide. So I know it's not a matter of somebody guessing.

My original password was 19sgabtihs78 (****bags spelled backwards with my brother's birth year interlaced) so yeah, not something I think anybody would be able to figure out lol

Another reason I feel like it might be an ap from the marketplace is because the first time my gmail was hacked was late April. Changed my password, then changed it again last month because I was beginning to get a bit paranoid.

Then my phone camera stopped focusing, so last week I traded my droid in for a replacement droid. Took me a while to remember them all, but I had to download all the aps again (and then some). And then bam, hacked again yesterday. Could certainly be a coincidence, but who knows?

Last edited:

ifly4fun

Reaction score
oh, I also create the most outlandishly bizarre passwords my over-active imagination has to provide. So I know it's not a matter of somebody guessing.

My original password was 19sgabtihs78 (****bags spelled backwards with my brother's birth year interlaced) so yeah, not something I think anybody would be able to figure out lol

Another reason I feel like it might be an ap from the marketplace is because the first time my gmail was hacked was late April. Changed my password, then changed it again last month because I was beginning to get a bit paranoid.

Then my phone camera stopped focusing, so last week I traded my droid in for a replacement droid. Took me a while to remember them all, but I had to download all the aps again (and then some). And then bam, hacked again yesterday. Could certainly be a coincidence, but who knows?

I realize this is an old thread - but it happened to me today too. I've had gmail since it was in beta and never had it hacked. I use extremely cryptic passwords. Like you, I was hacked right after installing a new app - for me it was the Free "Barcode Scanner" which I noticed you installed too. I'm not saying for sure this is how it happened.. but little too coincidental.

Smokie

Reaction score
seriously doubt its from barcode scanner.. thats a pretty popular app and if it was someone "stealing" your gmail pw i'd be really surprised. there aren't even any working gmail password crackers out to my knowledge. soooo.... either you are somehow managing to fall for a scam, possible an email or something claiming to be a gmail rep or something account related which then links you to a fake but very convincing looking website where you login and the password is sent to them without you seeing it happen. Or, you have some sort of virus where they can monitor your keystrokes and have access to viewing your cache where stored passwords are kept. if i was you, never use the "save password" option for any program and never fall for anyone posing as anything asking you to login here.

ifly4fun

Reaction score
seriously doubt its from barcode scanner.. thats a pretty popular app and if it was someone "stealing" your gmail pw i'd be really surprised. there aren't even any working gmail password crackers out to my knowledge. soooo.... either you are somehow managing to fall for a scam, possible an email or something claiming to be a gmail rep or something account related which then links you to a fake but very convincing looking website where you login and the password is sent to them without you seeing it happen. Or, you have some sort of virus where they can monitor your keystrokes and have access to viewing your cache where stored passwords are kept. if i was you, never use the "save password" option for any program and never fall for anyone posing as anything asking you to login here.

I would like to think so as well.. but it is what it is. i'm an IT professional and network security is my area of focus.. I certainly wasn't spoofed, spamed, phished, or anything else. I don't even use the web interface.. I pull through imap and my android, so i never even type in the pw. The fact that a simple "gmail hacked android" google search returns so many results of everyone reporting similar instances really makes me question the security of some of the apps. The hacker accessed my account from india at 7:36 this morning.. Fortunately, I watch my phone pretty closely for emails so I new about 15min after it happened (phone rejected login).

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Or.... & I stress or, it's someone you know who knows the answer to your security question.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What permissions have any of these apps you suggest might have stolen your password asked for? Because it's hard to hack an account you have a password to, if you understand what I'm getting it.

boodles07

Reaction score
My gmail account hacked from Nigeria, has to be because of Droid, just git it recently and now I am hacked. Can you secure this Droid password or do I sell this phone? I hate the fact that you cannot log out of gmail on the phone. You should be able to log in and log out, not this automatic sync crap. I am really starting to hate this google/gmail thing.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My gmail account hacked from Nigeria, has to be because of Droid, just git it recently and now I am hacked. Can you secure this Droid password or do I sell this phone? I hate the fact that you cannot log out of gmail on the phone. You should be able to log in and log out, not this automatic sync crap. I am really starting to hate this google/gmail thing.
Like I said in the other message thread, 300,000 androids are activated daily, there's also over 130,000 users of DroidForums. Only a handful have ever said it's because of applications on their phone that their account was hacked. I think you need to sit back and think what else you've done that gave away your gmail account. It's easy to blame the Android but it lies in a different area. Once my brother had his eBay account hacked, unfortunately for him, he also had the same password for his email account. Maybe this is what happened to you (obviously not necessarily eBay).