Gmail Account: Computer v. Phone

amasser

Reaction score
So I have the Droid Razr Maxx, and I love it! I'm formally a BB user. With the BB, when you synced up your email, you could delete emails on your phone, but it wouldn't affect your email on your computer. It would update when emails were deleted. There were options like "Mailbox Wins" (ie the computer) or the phone's email service would win.

So I have two questions.
1. Is there a way to delete an email from your phone and NOT have it affect your email on the computer?
2. Is there any way to transfer folders from your computer Gmail account to your phone so you can at least file emails away?

I just don't like having a lot of emails when I first bring up my Gmail app. If I can file them away in the folders I have set up on my computer delete them without them being wiped off Gmail server/mainframe, that'd be perfect!

Thanks for any help you can give!

kanaloa

Reaction score
Delete from phone only?

Anyone able to answer the above posted question,
"Is there a way to delete an email from your phone and NOT have it affect your email on the computer?"

I can find the "Delete From Server" option but this is only when setting up POP or IMAP accounts.
I need to setup an Exchange account and cannot find this option.

Droid Razr Maxx
Android 4.0.4

Many thanks in advance,

JP

Last edited:

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question 1.

Go into Gmail on your computer.
Select settings (gear in upper right corner). Use pull down and select settings.
Click on Forwarding and pop/imap.
Enable IMAP
Select auto expunge off

Question 2.

On your computer while looking at gmail, on the left side of the screen you will see the word "more" with a pull down icon. Select that. You will see the option to create new label. A new window will pop up. Name your new label. This will automatically populate in your phone. On your phone, open gmail, and click on"inbox". Select "view all labels". You will be able to see the mail in each of those labels. A quick way for you to remove the emails from your view on the phone but keep them on your computer is to archive them. They will disappear from your inbox but can be opened from your computer as well as your phone then moved to any label you want.

Last edited: