Gizmodo Review

JFDroid

Reaction score
I like this. I also liked the BGR review. There've also been some horrible reviews, with people claiming the Droid isn't even capable of multi-touch and others saying the phone is slow (what? It's really fast...)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like this. I also liked the BGR review. There've also been some horrible reviews, with people claiming the Droid isn't even capable of multi-touch and others saying the phone is slow (what? It's really fast...)

Multi-touch hasn't been enabled. Niether has pinch to zoom (damn apple), I haven't heard slow. Everything if read or heard is this device is a beast. We'll see in 3 days :p

JFDroid

Reaction score
Are you sure multitouch hasn't been enabled? I was under the impression multitouch was enabled at the very least on the software keyboard, maybe in other places too (such as for games that are designed around simultaneous multitouch inputs).

I swear I read that the software keyboard was multitouch enabled. I do understand there's no pinch to zoom, but I've come to understand that while it is an important missing function, it doesn't break the browsing experience; it's just something that could add to the overall polish and feel of the browser and the device.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you sure multitouch hasn't been enabled? I was under the impression multitouch was enabled at the very least on the software keyboard, maybe in other places too (such as for games that are designed around simultaneous multitouch inputs).

I swear I read that the software keyboard was multitouch enabled. I do understand there's no pinch to zoom, but I've come to understand that while it is an important missing function, it doesn't break the browsing experience; it's just something that could add to the overall polish and feel of the browser and the device.

Yea I am. It is entirely possible a patch or upgrade will enable this, but straight out of the box. It's not enabled as far as I know. Now I won't have mine until friday like the rest of you (or later) but everything i've read or heard it's not enabled yet :icon_evil:. It is surely something they should get fixed ASAP if you ask me, but it's not a deal breaker for me either. I've said before I don't play games on my phone. My storm doesn't have multi-touch either :blink:

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Good video..

And yes Multi-Touch is avail.. just not pinch to zoom..

Look at their website.. it's listed as an option..

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good video..

And yes Multi-Touch is avail.. just not pinch to zoom..

Look at their website.. it's listed as an option..

This is what I thought, but I wasn't about to argue with a moderator :/

It's even on Droid from Verizon Wireless ... "multitouch" on the spinwheel graphic circling the droid. I swear.

Not taking it is an argument at all. I would love to be wrong in this converstation. Read this link and review. It may be listed as an option but may noit be activated. Again I hope i'm wrong but wouldn't be unhappy if i'm not :hail:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-receives-multi-touch-but-only-milestone.html

JFDroid

Reaction score
Hm. Well... I don't know what to think of this: Android 2.0 does indeed feature multitouch – Android and Me

This is where, I think, I originally read about multitouch being enabled for the software keyboard so that you aren't slowed down when typing on-screen and not using the hardware keyboard, but they did seem to shy away from pinch to zoom (which we all already knew) because of Apple.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hm. Well... I don't know what to think of this: Android 2.0 does indeed feature multitouch – Android and Me

This is where, I think, I originally read about multitouch being enabled for the software keyboard so that you aren't slowed down when typing on-screen and not using the hardware keyboard, but they did seem to shy away from pinch to zoom (which we all already knew) because of Apple.

Yep we will see in just a few days. It seems "confusing" at best ;)

Edit : it appreas other reports may be wrong. as this Motorola Droid: Browser and Media Review | Android Phone Fans shows explicitly it does have multi-touch capability. Very nice indeed.

Last edited:

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
I always find it interesting that these reviewers want to compare the Droid to the iPhone, but don't want to mention the stuff that the Droid will do that the iPhone can't. They will talk about the browser, multitouch, the media player or how Android Market doesn't have the same number of apps, but for some reason they choose to ignore things like widgets, multitasking, removable battery, etc. I don't get it. :blink:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always find it interesting that these reviewers want to compare the Droid to the iPhone, but don't want to mention the stuff that the Droid will do that the iPhone can't. They will talk about the browser, multitouch, the media player or how Android Market doesn't have the same number of apps, but for some reason they choose to ignore things like widgets, multitasking, removable battery, etc. I don't get it. :blink:
It's the ever so present "media spin" and the reason I can't watch the news either. They generally report on the side of what they want you to see. Not the whold facts most of the time ;)

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
It's the ever so present "media spin" and the reason I can't watch the news either. They generally report on the side of what they want you to see. Not the whold facts most of the time ;)

I'm familiar with that one.:happy: I just hate bias in reporting no matter what it is for.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm familiar with that one.:happy: I just hate bias in reporting no matter what it is for.

I absolutly agree :icon_ poke: i'm not even close to sure what most of the news channels or shows are thinking these days

OfTheDamned

Reaction score

I absolutly agree :icon_ poke: i'm not even close to sure what most of the news channels or shows are thinking these days

Oh, I can tell you that in one word...ratings.