Gingerbread rom

bobbyj408

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to know why a gingerbread rom has not been released for the droid 2. The droid 1 seems to have it so why not droid 2? And if there is a gingerbread rom out there then sorry for my ignorance and please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

bassdj

SliceThemez Theme Creator
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
iamandroid.co
The Droid 2 will not receive a Gingerbread ROM until the update has been released by Motorola. Its cuz of this dang locked bootloader.

Sent from my Droid 2 with Liberty

Reaction score
I thought the bootloader was unlocked for the D2 and now the D2G, since we can flash ROMs on them (well one ROM on the D2G). I think I'm confused on what the bootloader is lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

bassdj

SliceThemez Theme Creator
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
iamandroid.co
No, what you're talking about is the custom recovery

Reaction score
I thought the bootloader was unlocked for the D2 and now the D2G, since we can flash ROMs on them (well one ROM on the D2G). I think I'm confused on what the bootloader is lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Bootloader has not been unlocked, and probably never will be. It's a proprietary RSA encryption. Moto has the only copy of the key, and brute force calculation would take every computer currently running on earth over 100 years to crack the key. So no, it won't be unlocked, even if it's theoretically possible...

Essentially, the locked bootloader prevents us from flashing our own custom recovery (D2 bootstrapper being the workaround that lets us flash CWR), and from flashing custom kernels (which would allow truly custom ROMs)

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the bootloader has indeed been cracked. Someone found a way to side step around it and overwrite it or something, ill post a link momentarily

EDIT: okay, I found the link. It looks like the guy cracked it, but he needs drivers for the new kernel he is writing.
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/19/droid-bootloader-accepts-a-new-challenger-close-to-unlocking/

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App