Getting started

kanemochi

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've been in the IT world for over 25 years, and done commercial application development for the last 15...mostly client server stuff on Unix/Vax platforms, with some experience on IBM Mainframes as well as Windows/Mac desktop development. However, I have no experience with mobile devices, nor do I know anything about the Android OS.

The open development platform is one thing that really attracted me to the Droid, I've been a Linux user since early 90s when only us Geeks had ever even heard of Linux..and am a big fan of Open Development.

So, how does one go about getting started developing applications for the Droid? Is there an SDK out there for free download, complete with examples of how to create Droid apps? How about some documentation somewhere about how the OS works?

Thanks in advance..

Reaction score
Are their any good sites to start off at, basic source code.

Last edited:

escorpio

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I hope I can learn it fast, so I can create my nerd alert application

escorpio

Reaction score
ok guys, so I tried to install the SDK, but I think I need the eclipse first. The websites suggest to install the java version of eclipse, but there is also a C++ version on it. My question is if I want to create apps for Droid... do I need to install the Java version of eclipse, or I can do it with the C++ version too? I' ve work with C++ and Matlab, so C++ would be easier for me

Thanks for your time

silverx10

Reaction score
I read somewhere that you can do either or, but there will be (significant?) compatibility issues if you try programming from the C++ realm.

schmaltzy

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but how hard is it to get into application development? I know so people that made some iPhone apps, and I'd like to get into Android app making. I have quite a bit of computer experience, but and not familiar with Java, SDK, etc. Should I take the plunge and try it out or steer clear?

silverx10

Reaction score
Never a bad thing to diversify your portfolio, as it were.

The Android documentation is actually pretty user friendly, I think. Explains it in... a relatively simple way. All else fails, check out some books on Amazon.

radd

Reaction score
I started last night, downloaded all things and now just lots of reading. I will probably be asking questions around the forum and also hopefully posting some small apps in the future through my development. Going to be really hard to make time, college and other web development already take most of my time.