Getting Original recovery back??

bitojoe

Reaction score
alright! so if i am going to put clockworkmod recovery on my droid 2 global, could i get rid of it and get the original recovery incase of warranty or whatever? i'm pretty new to all of this and have been reading a lot on all of this but i couldn't find an answer to this. so if i could get some help, it would be much appreciated! :)

Castro

Reaction score
CW recovery can only be loaded by having the bootstrap app which leads me to believe that if you delete the app and try to boot into recovery it would be the stock. I don't think cw overwrites the stock recovery.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I actually just had someone pm me these steps a few days ago, give me a minute and I'll dig them up

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I take no credit for this writeup, I think it came from furbearingmamal but I don't know where it orriginated. I do know that bit options work though as a d2 user followed the steps to succesfully remove cm recovery.

"Removing Bootstrap Recovery:

Removal from an Androidforums post:

UNINSTALL the Recovery APK (Droid X Bootstrapper) in Settings, Applications
Reboot
Run "adb shell"
Run "su"
Run "mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system"
Run "cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper"
Reboot

or

1. Reroot
2. Get root explorer in the market
3. Uninstall the bootstrap app
4. Go into root explorer to system/bin
5. In top right corner tap r/w
6. Delete the file called hijack
7. Delete logwrapper
8. Rename logwrapper.bin to just logwrapper
9. Reboot and it should be gone.

If this screws up you'll need RSD Lite"

tappin and a talkin

leobg

Reaction score
Original recovery stays intact. You cannot overwrite it as you need to have a signed by Motorola image.
CW recovery utilizes boot hijacking to drive normal (not recovery) boot process to fall into custom recovery program which is self contained and can be used to alter contents of the /system partition. It resides exactly there (/system) and it is not difficult to break it if you fool around in /system. You do not have the safety of an independed recovery image (like the stock recovery) to count on falling back into if normal boot process is not successful.
As we all know - way around is SBF. SBF has different components - kernel, system, boot images, radio, etc. It can be flashed from boot loader as it is digitally signed by Motorola (hence only Motorola can release the SBF). If you have SBF phone is almost unbrickable (unless if you fool with boot loader partition of course!)

OP
bitojoe

bitojoe

Reaction score
agh im sorry leogb, but i dont understand? so your saying that cw recovery can be easily deleted because it doesnt write over the stock recovery? im sorry, like i said, im very new to this and have the mind of a high schooler. (because i am)

And Spaz33g i dont want to do anything that will brick my phone, could this ultimately lead to bricking my phone? cause all i really want to do is have cw but i dont want it if it could brick my device, im sorry, im new

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Clockwork mod recovery does not replace your stock image, it is inserted in between boot processes. Although it would usually be easily removed with an sbf, there is currently no sbf available for the d2g. That's where the above instructions come in. Although they can result in a brick, they shouldn't if you follow directions carefully. However it is importnant to remember that since there is no sbf, you are essentially working without a safety net. If you're worried about bricking then read as much as you can and proceed with caution.

tappin and a talkin

OP
bitojoe

bitojoe

Reaction score
Ok! Thanks so much :) this helps alot! one more quick question, i can get cw from either bootstrap or rom manager, correct?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No. You must get it from bootstrapper although you can use it in conjunction with rom manager. The inability to actually replace the stock recovery means that bootstrapper is needed to get cm recovery "bootstrapped" to the system.

tappin and a talkin

Castro

Reaction score
My wife is a verizon wireless rep she might be able to get the SBF...(I'm totally kidding!!) lol I wish...

OP
bitojoe

bitojoe

Reaction score
ohh man, you had me going there for a bit, hahahaha, i wish the android community could get a hold of that thing from moto already!

i used Droid 2 bootstrap last night, it worked wonders! is there any kind of way to boot into it by just using bootstrap?