Getting into clockwork recovery

whiterook6

Reaction score
Hello all

I can't get a different recovery screen--just the default.

I have a Telus milestone running motorola's 2.2. I really wish I hadn't updated since my phone is now slower and less responsive in genereal. :[

So I went looking, and rooted my phone. I believe it's rooted because it has the Superuser app and when I use rom manager it pops up the message saying that it granted super user priveledges.

Now I have Rom Manager on my phone, and I've tried "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery," which appeared to work (it asked me for the model and I chose milestone.)

Now when I boot into recovery mode (either through Rom Manager or manually by holding down the camera button) it just takes me to the normal recovery screen. It's supposed to be green, right? I tried installing a stock froyo rom but it keeps saying that it can't open /cache/recovery/command and that the signature validation failed.

Also, "Backup current rom" doesn't work, since there's nothing in the manage roms section to manage; maybe this is part of the same problem.

I've looked at RSDLite and SPrecovery but I don't know if there's a specific one for my phone, since most google results point to upgrading into 2.2, which I already have.

Any help?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use droid 2 bootstrap recovery so it's a little different from rom manager. So you flash clockwork and then click reboot recovery and it doesn't show up in green text? You can try doing a battery pull while booting up or with the phone on plug it into the charger and pull the battery and that should take you to clockwork
The camera button thing takes you into stock recovery only where you can't flash roms so that's why you get the error command. Clockwork is where you can install custom roms. Make sure you make a nandroid backup first before doing anything
Sent from my Liberated DROID2

OP
W

whiterook6

Reaction score
I tried yanking the battery with the phone plugged in to my wall charger when the motorola logo popped up, but it still went to the standard recovery loader.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it goes right to stock recovery and doesn't boot up any further? It's not stuck on a logo or anything? I always had to manually get into stock recovery. It never just popped up before. You may need to sbf then. You will need rsd lite 4.9, the latest drivers and full sbf file for your phone.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2. Support team Liberty!

OP
W

whiterook6

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Just so I understand what I'm doing, what is an SBF file and what will it do? Will this get me into a different recovery screen, so I can try the update.zip/TheFroyoMod.zip/other rom, or will it actually install a new rom?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
An sbf will take you back to out of the box state (stock froyo). Its like you just got the phone. Its usually a last resort if all else fails. Do some reading on it and make sure you have what you need. You will need rsd lite 4.9, the latest drivers and full sbf file for your phone. You do this through your pc. There is a thread called triple threat that will have all the files needed. Also find spaz on the forums and in his third signature is a link to the files. Also there are videos on youtube that will help.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just sent you a pm with the link for rsd and the sbf file for droid 2. Disregard the sbf file cause you need the one for your phone. I'll try to look for it