getting google voice set up on droid

droidoesall

Reaction score
So do I have to be invited to google voice? If so can some one invite me @ [email protected]
But when I click on google voice on my droid it asks for me to select an account and I select the account above. Then it signs me in and asks me to set up my voice by putting in a pin. Like it says I put in a pin but when it starts to verify my phone number an error occurs and says "your phone number could not be verified, please try again."

Please help!!!

ilikefishes

Reaction score
I had a friend try and set up this application and got the same message. I think it is based on your pin for your gmail account. I have set up voice and it is ok, but I can't figure out how to apply an outgoing message or make my phone default back to my other voicemail application.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So do I have to be invited to google voice? If so can some one invite me @ [email protected]
Not sure. I've heard that if you download the GV app and set it up you're good to go but I don't have first hand experience as I went through the invite process long ago.

There's a stickied Google Voice invite thread in the Motorola Droid forum.

I have set up voice and it is ok, but I can't figure out how to apply an outgoing message or make my phone default back to my other voicemail application.
What does "apply an outgoing message" mean?

As for voicemail, it's just a matter of changing the forwarding on your Droid. The full GV site has instructions on deactivating Google Voice voicemail (if people are calling your VZW number) under Settings->Phones. If people are calling your GV number, I'm not aware of a way to not use GV's voicemail.

Last edited:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure. I've heard that if you download the GV app and set it up you're good to go but I don't have first hand experience as I went through the invite process long ago.

There's a stickied Google Voice invite thread in the Motorola Droid forum.

I have set up voice and it is ok, but I can't figure out how to apply an outgoing message or make my phone default back to my other voicemail application.
What does "apply an outgoing message" mean?

As for voicemail, it's just a matter of changing the forwarding on your Droid. The full GV site has instructions on deactivating Google Voice voicemail (if people are calling your VZW number) under Settings->Phones. If people are calling your GV number, I'm not aware of a way to not use GV's voicemail.
Once you set up the app, you need to go through the set up procedure. First your google account is verified. Next your phone nunmber is verified. If you get past the phone number verification process, you will be able to set up your GV with out an invite. It took me several tries, but I did get it set up and running.