Getting from leaked 2.2 to rooted OTA 2.2 without a PC?

castxaway

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there any possible way to do this? I unfortunately have no working PC available to me at the moment. And I've been rocking the leaked 2.2 for a while and it's kind of bugging me that I have yet to get the OTA. Even just a way to get to unrooted OTA 2.2 would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Did you rename any files or are you just rooted? Do you have Root Explorer?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Use Root Explorer, go to system/bin, tap ("RW" button in upper right, if it says "RO" leave it alone)

Look for Su file and delete it ...If you installed Busybox it will be there also, delete it too. (check in system/xbin for both also just in case)

DO NOT EXIT ROOT EXPLORER YET..

Then go to system/app and look for Superuser.apk and delete it...

Reboot and you are no longer Rooted.

You can also do all this with a bunch of ADB commands and all that stuff, if you like typing and chances of mistyping a command :)

Can try this if you have root explorer after you put back or rename any files you might have changed. Then you will be unrooted, then you can download the OTA from your phone.

OP
C

castxaway

Reaction score
Use Root Explorer, go to system/bin, tap ("RW" button in upper right, if it says "RO" leave it alone)

Look for Su file and delete it ...If you installed Busybox it will be there also, delete it too. (check in system/xbin for both also just in case)

DO NOT EXIT ROOT EXPLORER YET..

Then go to system/app and look for Superuser.apk and delete it...

Reboot and you are no longer Rooted.

You can also do all this with a bunch of ADB commands and all that stuff, if you like typing and chances of mistyping a command :)

Can try this if you have root explorer after you put back or rename any files you might have changed. Then you will be unrooted, then you can download the OTA from your phone.

And I don't need to be on 2.1 to do this? I can do this on the leaked 2.2?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I don't see why not all you are doing is removing the superuser access.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you cant go to OTA 2.2 without the SBF. moto (in a newsletter a while back) said it would block teh OTA for leaked 2.2 users.

OP
C

castxaway

Reaction score
you cant go to OTA 2.2 without the SBF. moto (in a newsletter a while back) said it would block teh OTA for leaked 2.2 users.

Hmmm, damn. I guess that means I have to wait until I visit someone with a PC. Unless there's a way to flash the 2.1 SBF without one.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well there ya go, sorry Cast didn't know that. So that method will get ya unrooted but guess you still can't OTA.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Hmmm, damn. I guess that means I have to wait until I visit someone with a PC. Unless there's a way to flash the 2.1 SBF without one.

linux can or mac with bootcamp or a VM setup

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

thank you for stopping all that mis information. amazing how people dont read threads before they post lol.

only way to get to 2.2 stock is by doing what Abe21599 said, sbf to 2.1.

Heres the trick... Make sure you use the 2.1 SBF and not the new 2.2 SBF. RSDLite 4.7+Patch.

OP
C

castxaway

Reaction score

thank you for stopping all that mis information. amazing how people dont read threads before they post lol.

only way to get to 2.2 stock is by doing what Abe21599 said, sbf to 2.1.

Heres the trick... Make sure you use the 2.1 SBF and not the new 2.2 SBF. RSDLite 4.7+Patch.

Alright guys, I actually bricked my phone today trying to install the Rubix rom on the droid-life forums. My friend who was with me said he had a PC I could use so luckily I was able to flash the 2.1 SBF and I'm going to download the OTA and root it.

Thanks for your help!