getting a droid x without a data plan

OP
qman66

qman66

Reaction score
well i know someone who has a smartphone after the data plan requirement without the data plan. verizon first added the data plan automatically to the account. they then called verizon and threatened to cancel the account or remove the data plan and they removed it. they are still using it. but i guess noone thinks this can be done again

NFW (unless its a really old phone)

~John
well it was 2 years ago. but they already had that data requirement by then. looks like my chances are slim for this

Snow02

Reaction score
Not just slim, impossible. Their system does not allow it.

I'll put it this way, if you had the connections necessary to do this, you'd be getting it discounted enough to not matter anyway.

in99flames

Reaction score
The 6900 was actually second to last phone without the data plan requirement. The Palm Centro was the official last phone released without the data plan. The Centro came out a few months following the 6900.

RCFlyn

Reaction score
The 6900 was actually second to last phone without the data plan requirement. The Palm Centro was the official last phone released without the data plan. The Centro came out a few months following the 6900.

Boy did I get screwed then... The Centro was my first Smart Phone (if you wanna call it that). when I got the Phone, the Sales rep at Verizon told me data wasn't required, but he suggested trying it for 30 days and if I didn't feel I Needed it, I could drop it. Well, I tried it, realized I really didn't need it, called Verizon to drop it. "Nope, can't do that, The Centro Requires Data to be active, so sorry". I tried again a couple weeks later, and basically got the same reply, "Smart Phones have to have a Data package"...

Rocko

Reaction score
Can't be done. Stop claiming you can do it, your lying.

BodyBagz

Reaction score

Nope...I hate to argue, so Im not gonna, but I will just say this and be done with it...I had a Palm Centro prior to getting the 6900...for less than 30 days, and swapped it for the HTC device because the mandatory Data Package was not worth it at the time on a screen that was smaller than the HTC...web browsing on the Palm device sucked so much ass it should have been a proctologist. The 6900 required no data package, and was the last "smart phone" on Verizons network to be allowed to be used without the required package.

Boy did I get screwed then... The Centro was my first Smart Phone (if you wanna call it that). when I got the Phone, the Sales rep at Verizon told me data wasn't required, but he suggested trying it for 30 days and if I didn't feel I Needed it, I could drop it. Well, I tried it, realized I really didn't need it, called Verizon to drop it. "Nope, can't do that, The Centro Requires Data to be active, so sorry". I tried again a couple weeks later, and basically got the same reply, "Smart Phones have to have a Data package"...
Yeppers...thats part of the reason why I returned mine within the 30 days...no way was i gonna get locked into that phone and data plan...

Last edited: