Get a TB or keep my DX?

turdbogls

Reaction score
OK, I am a tech junkie, and i LOVE me some android.
i am currently using a rooted Droid X and there really isn't anything i dont like about the phone (minus 3G speeds)
i have a chance to buy a 4 day old TB, with case and screen protector for $250, and i have a feeling i could get $250 out of my DX and accessories pretty easily. making this a "no cost" option for me to get some newer technology in my life. Also, i am at a computer all day long, and i am a pretty light user (tons of data, but little calls/sms) so battery life is not an issue for me. and i am in a 4G network, so that is a huge plus to me. and being a heavy data user (avg 4gb+/month) i want to get on the unlimited bandwagon while i still can.

my only hesitation is the rooting process and all the updates and whatnot floating around and talk about bricking on GB. and that i haven't owned an HTC device before.
i am NOT comfortable with ADB commands, and have always done a "one click" root method.
so my questions are:

is there an easier way to root now?
is there a way to get back to stock if need be? something similar to an SBF for motorola phones.
have the GB bricking issues been ironed out?

one last verizon question, upgrading to a 4g plan wont effect my New every 2 upgrade will it....that is coming in may, and i dont want to loose that.

Should i do it? i love my DX, and it does everything i want it to. i have a completely "AOSP" based rom on it right now and it is great. CM7 just got released for it today so i am also interested in checking that out.

i am not a Noob to android, just a noob to ADB and HTC phones. so i am a little hesitant. i can pick up the phone tomorrow so a quick response would be sweet.

Last edited:

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
there's an easy root solution but I used the adb commands so I can't tell you much about easy roots easy and safety. It's not as simple as "one click" though.

The GB bricking problems are hopefully sorted out with the new MR2 radio released last week, but only time will tell for sure.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only go for it if you think you'll benefit from an LTE connection; otherwise I say keep your X.

I'm not sure the root method is quite "one click", but there are easy-to-follow guides...though if you're really uncomfortable with adb...not sure.

I'm upgrading to a TB from a Droid 1, so it was more of tech leap for me.

Also, to be honest, the TB still has lingering issues (of which the reboot thing is the most critical, which an imminent update is supposed to address)...but I believe rooting/ROMing takes care of almost all of them, if you want to go that route.

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
Only go for it if you think you'll benefit from an LTE connection; otherwise I say keep your X.

I'm not sure the root method is quite "one click", but there are easy-to-follow guides...though if you're really uncomfortable with adb...not sure.

I'm upgrading to a TB from a Droid 1, so it was more of tech leap for me.

Also, to be honest, the TB still has lingering issues (of which the reboot thing is the most critical, which an imminent update is supposed to address)...but I believe rooting/ROMing takes care of almost all of them, if you want to go that route.

I forgot to mention that i am in Orlando so i DO get 4G service.

i am no dummy, so i can follow some commands as long as no fancy ABD lingo is tossed in there :)
how bad is this reboot issue? i get about 1 a day on my DX so it isn't a big deal, but i have heard stories about once every 4 hours, which still isn't horrible, but not ideal.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
For some it's quite bad. But an update that it supposed to fix it should get pushed OTA any time now, and you can always manually install either the full RUU if you're not rooted, or root and install a custom ROM that contains the new radio.

pbdroid

Reaction score
I've had my TB for about two weeks and never once had a reboot. I stay juiced so battery isn't an issue ... it's blazing fast on 3G (haven't been in a 4G area yet).

electric6

Reaction score
OK, I am a tech junkie, and i LOVE me some android.
i am currently using a rooted Droid X and there really isn't anything i dont like about the phone (minus 3G speeds)
i have a chance to buy a 4 day old TB, with case and screen protector for $250, and i have a feeling i could get $250 out of my DX and accessories pretty easily. making this a "no cost" option for me to get some newer technology in my life. Also, i am at a computer all day long, and i am a pretty light user (tons of data, but little calls/sms) so battery life is not an issue for me. and i am in a 4G network, so that is a huge plus to me. and being a heavy data user (avg 4gb+/month) i want to get on the unlimited bandwagon while i still can.

my only hesitation is the rooting process and all the updates and whatnot floating around and talk about bricking on GB. and that i haven't owned an HTC device before.
i am NOT comfortable with ADB commands, and have always done a "one click" root method.
so my questions are:

is there an easier way to root now?
is there a way to get back to stock if need be? something similar to an SBF for motorola phones.
have the GB bricking issues been ironed out?

one last verizon question, upgrading to a 4g plan wont effect my New every 2 upgrade will it....that is coming in may, and i dont want to loose that.

Should i do it? i love my DX, and it does everything i want it to. i have a completely "AOSP" based rom on it right now and it is great. CM7 just got released for it today so i am also interested in checking that out.

i am not a Noob to android, just a noob to ADB and HTC phones. so i am a little hesitant. i can pick up the phone tomorrow so a quick response would be sweet.

This is a question i can confidently answer! My dad has the DX, I have a TB. I am on my second one after breaking the first in half. The signal quality is always worse than the DX, but the screen is much nicer. Other than that, its a got a slightly better camera(although cant zoom as close in pics), and is a little snappier.

I would wait till the last minute - and I mean I would wait until you know the kill date of unlimited LTE data for $30 a month, because that is a great deal even if you dont have it in your area yet.

The Bionic is supposedly releasing later this summer, and its supposed to be quite a handset: dual core OMAP, 1gb of ram, QHD screen(lets hope its not pentile), HDMI, etc etc,.

The TB was perfect for me coming from an old 3GS, but from a DX, not worth the cost. To me the idea was to lock into that tasty all-you-can-eat data, then just get a better phone next spring.

So - If it were me- I would wait until kill-date on unlimited LTE, then decide. That is, if unlimited data is that important to you...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just spent some time playing with my buds rooted rom'd TB last Sunday. It's nice and I could own one but I give my rooted rom'd X just a slight edge (it's a touch faster as well). I cant really put my finger on it but I just would rather have the Moto.

OP
T

turdbogls

Reaction score
This is a question i can confidently answer! My dad has the DX, I have a TB. I am on my second one after breaking the first in half. The signal quality is always worse than the DX, but the screen is much nicer. Other than that, its a got a slightly better camera(although cant zoom as close in pics), and is a little snappier.

I would wait till the last minute - and I mean I would wait until you know the kill date of unlimited LTE data for $30 a month, because that is a great deal even if you dont have it in your area yet.

The Bionic is supposedly releasing later this summer, and its supposed to be quite a handset: dual core OMAP, 1gb of ram, QHD screen(lets hope its not pentile), HDMI, etc etc,.

The TB was perfect for me coming from an old 3GS, but from a DX, not worth the cost. To me the idea was to lock into that tasty all-you-can-eat data, then just get a better phone next spring.

So - If it were me- I would wait until kill-date on unlimited LTE, then decide. That is, if unlimited data is that important to you...
well i have pretty good coverage everywhere and my wife has the DINC2, and she is fine so i will be fine in reception.
i dont have an upgrade until next year, and by then i have a strong feeling unlimited Data will not be around....and i NEED it bad. plus this is a "no cost" upgrade since i am fairly certain i can get around $250 for my DX with its accessories.

I just spent some time playing with my buds rooted rom'd TB last Sunday. It's nice and I could own one but I give my rooted rom'd X just a slight edge (it's a touch faster as well). I cant really put my finger on it but I just would rather have the Moto.

thanks for your input. like i said in my OP, the DX is an amazing phone, it is FAST and does everything i throw at it with not may complaints. but every time i play with my wifes DINC2 i just want Sense, and that screen, and 4G is always a plus. i may even keep my DX just in case i feel like changing back if the TB is not my cup of tea. i can always turn around and sell the TB for a slight profit.

twofourturbo

Reaction score
Ditch the Droid X.. I'm only in a 3g area but the phone itself for me was alot better.. I noticed the most lag out of my Droid x from playing dungeon defender.. once I got my thunderbolt I played that with zero lag. Quiet amazing.