GB Unofficial update; return to stock.

Dzeroj

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been working on my phone for the past 2 days and have had little luck.

I downloaded the GB update a few weeks back so I'm at 2.3.3, Kernal 2.6.32.9 Build 4.5.1_57_dx5-18.

After the OTA GB update was made available I wanted to return my phone to stock so that I can obtain the OTA update. However so far I've been unable to do that.

I have tried the following:
Tried using the SBF .340 and I think the .315 with the program using win7. I see my phone as connected however when I hit start it attempts to begin but them says Failed and my phone is left at a black screen with some info like my bootloader 3.04 or something like that.

Also note after using this GB update I was unable to access the recovery screen I only get an exclamation point and nothing else

I tried rooting my phone using Gingerbreak which worked.
I used Rom Manager and flashed clockwork.
When I try to reboot into recovery it just reboots the phone and goes all the way back to the home screen, even when I try to install some roms nothing really happens except it reboots completely.

I would just like to be back to Stock and able to get the new OTA GB update can anyone help me or tell me maybe what I did wrong....

p.s: I did have USB debugging on and the unknown sources boxes checked.

Thanks for your help in advance.

DroidX

CD95YJ

Reaction score
To get your phone back to stock you need 3 things, the Droid x drivers, rsdlite version 4.8 or greater, and the 2.3.340 sbf file. Rsdlite and the sbf file can both be found at mydroidworld.com.

Once you have all three items on your computer connect your phone via usb and select PC mode as the connection type on your phone. Press the ... button on rsdlite, find the sbf file on your computer and double click it go load it. Then hit start and your phone will flash back to stock.

You will lose root and your phone will be back to an out of the box state. You will be able to take the official ota from Verizon by going to settings>about phone>system updates. This version of GB is not currently rootable through a one click method like z4 or gingerbreak.

If you want the rooted version of the ota you will need to root your phone while still on froyo, download the droid2 bootstrapper app from the market and the two part .596 rooted gingerbread files from mydroidworld.com. after rooting froyo, use the D2 bootstrapper to boot into clockwork recovery and then install the .596 files to end up with rooted GB.

***note, from reading your post I would assume you are fairly new to rooting and flashing roms through clockwork. Read, read, and then re-read how to use all of these programs and how to flash .zip files so you don't screw up your phone, because frankly you and only you are responsible foe anything that happens to your phone****

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
D

Dzeroj

Reaction score
Thank you CD95YJ,

You're correct I'm fairly new and didn't want to go the route of rooting but thought I'd try and see if I can find a fix that way.

Prior to your post I did accomplish the following,
I installed the drivers, Put my phone in PC Mode (w/ USB Debugging checked), installed and ran RSDLite using the 2.3.340 sbf file.

My phone appears on the bottom list and says connected....

I hit the start button and it looks to begin doing what it is suppose to do... then I get a fail message in the box that once said connected in RSDLite.... and thats where I'm currently stuck.

vernontwg

Reaction score
don't quote me on this, but i do believe that your device must be in the bootloader screen in order for RSD lite to work. Press camera button, volume down, and power when your phone is off to turn it on into the bootloader.

OP
D

Dzeroj

Reaction score
I believe you are right I know when I click start on the program it took my phone to the bootloader then failed. When I get home I'll try and get to the bootloader first then start the software and see if that finishes it.

Thanks to all,

If anyone else has any ideas I'd also love to hear them, thanks.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
don't quote me on this, but i do believe that your device must be in the bootloader screen in order for RSD lite to work. Press camera button, volume down, and power when your phone is off to turn it on into the bootloader.

If you put your phone in PC mode it will automatically put it into the bootloader.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Your running windows 7 correct?
32 or 64 bit version?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
There have been known issues with rsdlite and the 64 bit version of windows 7. One thing to try is right click on the rsdlite icon, select run as administrator, then select properties to change it to run in compatibility mod for XP service pack 3. That might solve your problems with rsdlite not working right.

OP
D

Dzeroj

Reaction score
Yes I am running Win7 64, I will try the compatilbility mod, I thought about trying that but ended up not doing it. Thanks

OP
D

Dzeroj

Reaction score
Ok just tried changing to Win XP service pack 3.

This is the info the program shows for my device:
MEID: A000002244917E
Technology: CDMA 1X-EVDO
Software Version: cdma_shadow-user 2.3.3 4.5.1_57_DX5-18 110410 release-keysSHADOW_BP_C_01.09.12P
Flex Version: 019.0R(XSASHDW01VRZNA019.0R)
Bootloader Version: 3004
DRM Version: N/A

This is the file I'm using VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1ff_01.sbf
After I hit start the status changes to Failed Flashing process. Failed flashing process
(0x7100)

FernBch

Reaction score
I may be off base here, but I remember reading about a linux line CD that has all the needed items, including the proper sbf file. Do a search and you should find it.

OP
D

Dzeroj

Reaction score
Crisis Averted

I was using VMWare on my Mac to perform these actions. I went to a normal PC running Win7, ran it in admin and it worked.... thanks all

fzaman

Reaction score
Had problem, additional info

So I had the same problem mentioned above so I downloaded the three things and did the flashing to the system SBF as stated, however, when I rebooted, I was stuck on the bootloader screen. So, after some frantic searching, I found that others had the same error. Summary of what I did was the following: (full description here )

Download the full 2.2 SBF here

Also, if you want other SBF's, you can go here

Next, I used rsdlite to load the full SBF.

After this, the phone restarted, however I was stuck on the searching eye screen (freaked out again and then found a solution)

You have to delete the cache so this can be done by doing a factory reset.

Turn off phone, and then hold "home" key and push power button. Full directions here

Now you should be back at fresh out of the box state. You have to reactivate the phone and load all your apps/data again. One other thing I am having issues with is my main google account used the google authenticator app, so I will have to reset that before I can log into that account again.

Best of luck...remember to read all your resources before doing this otherwise you will be running around like I was trying to fix your phone.