GB Roms Recap

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I have just downloaded sourcery 2.2, so I guess I've come full circle.

After venturing into the GB realm to port my themes I have come to the conclusion I perfer the solid stability of froyo. Not saying I had huge issues with GB, but enough small annoyances that I could not take anymore. So, I reverted back to another froyo ROM and while its been a good experience, IMO it is not the same as sourcery.

I will miss the great support provided by eagle and gflam and I am sure I will always wonder what else they had in store. I felt since the first time I flashed this ROM that it was revolutionary with unseen before options and features combined with rock solid stability.

Sent from my Incinerated DROID

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that GB is not meant for the D1. It's cool, it has some cool features but its too buggy on the D1. I'm back to Froyo and thats more then enough for me.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
To my fellow family of Sourcerers,
I will defend this ROM past the day I die, as I assume they in the afterlife know about its sweetness.
With that said, I think if a reconciliation were to take place it would happen organically.
Donations won't be a motivator, and respecting the decision is the best thing we can continue to give. And help and support both on any new endeavours.
I think as is, it is no less special than the day I first flashed it.
Sometimes the flames which burn brightest burn out the fastest. But it's better to burn out than it is to rust. -Neil Young
Also it was a team effort which I don't want to become a one person show.

Regarding GB ROMS I think it has been a long term success for me and my OG.
All initial incarnations were messy. And I too had similar feelings.
But now I can run every GB out now, and flawlessly at that.
I thought the things written in this thread regarding not good for OG.
But now I'm a believer, whatever has been fixed has solved for me any and all issues.
Fortunately for me, my OG has run fantastically on all the major devs current GB iterations.
No loss of 3G signal, never missed calls, texts or Gmail.
But every single OG was different out of the box and then continued to become even more different depending on state of hardware and how we all run all sorts of different settings. Some OGs may even be on last leg.,
I base this on a number of posts in which those forced back to a froyo or hybrid, are realizing their particular OG was ready for burial at sea.
Also I think for ROM developers, GB has forced them to step up their learning and problem solving, which will long run benefit the developers abilities and the quality we get to access. As eventually they will be forced to develop for something other than our OGs. Developing is like most everything, if you aren't advancing you are declining.
So they will be even better when all our OGs become ultimate handheld fully functional multimedia devices which all others similar will not have nearly the abilities we will with our OG.
Movies, Videos, Books, Music and games.
But as I said GB success is most influenced by the state of one's OG.
Also regarding polls, none are really a result I'd hang my hat on.
First the sample is incredibly small in comparison to numbers running flawless GB. They are less inclined to be on the forums unlike those encountering problems, who are much more likely to be on the forums to seek assistance or informing that they had to revert back.
Yet one who is running great have no actual need to visit with the same frequency, if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Plus the theory I have found to be quite true, that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Squeaky wheel being those encountering issues and oil being the overwhelming attention they get and discounting the success stories. I have a hard time imagining someone without issues feeling the same urgency that those with problems feel in posting problems to see if they can be addressed and if not voting in their best interest to continue development for the ROM they unfortunately had to revert back to use.
As I said I have been quite lucky and fortunate regarding the good state of my OG allowing all avenues open. Be it GB, Froyo or a hybrid.
We all are in different situations due to the OG mimicry of snowflakes, no 2 are alike.

As always I love flashing me some sweet Saucery, but I love flashing many a GB now as well.
Devs seem to have discovered how to reign in the aggressive task killing either by altering its parameters back to those of Froyo which has only improved GB and how it runs even better.

Reserecting Sourceryrom could end up like the Rolling Stones tours over last 30 years.
A bunch of human skeletons kind of making a mockery of who they once were.
And regarding Sourcery, don't mess with perfection.
Hopefully everyone reads this as merely my findings over the last months and my opinions on Sourcery and leaving what is perfection as perfect rather than a forced update that may end up going in a direction that causes issues and bugs on an already issueless and bugless ROM.
A spell was cast upon us a while back and it has stuck.
But we need to bring reality back into the equation.
I would hate to see something reminiscent of Natalie Cole butchering her father's greatest song, "Unforgettable" by making it some crappy duet through the magic of video and audio advancement.
Nat King Cole made a phenomenal song, and his daughter almost ruined it forever.
Sometimes things need to be laid to rest and kept in their pristine form.
To my Fam, those who have had GB issues shouldn't forever give up on it as they are making continuous advances. Some of which are truly unique in their own right.
Thankfully though laid to rest, we can still access all its good yummyness and reliability that makes and continues to make it awesome. And for that we should all be thankful. And I know we all are.
To my breathen we are lucky, as we get to continue to ride this wave into the shore and swim back out and ride again.
Enjoy these days we still have working OGs and can run Sourcery till our OGs drop from exhaustion.
Your friend in magic and wonderment
danceswithbongs. Big Smiley face

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well said!

To my fellow family of Sourcerers,
I will defend this ROM past the day I die, as I assume they in the afterlife know about its sweetness.
With that said, I think if a reconciliation were to take place it would happen organically.
Donations won't be a motivator, and respecting the decision is the best thing we can continue to give. And help and support both on any new endeavours.
I think as is, it is no less special than the day I first flashed it.
Sometimes the flames which burn brightest burn out the fastest. But it's better to burn out than it is to rust. -Neil Young
Also it was a team effort which I don't want to become a one person show.

Regarding GB ROMS I think it has been a long term success for me and my OG.
All initial incarnations were messy. And I too had similar feelings.
But now I can run every GB out now, and flawlessly at that.
I thought the things written in this thread regarding not good for OG.
But now I'm a believer, whatever has been fixed has solved for me any and all issues.
Fortunately for me, my OG has run fantastically on all the major devs current GB iterations.
No loss of 3G signal, never missed calls, texts or Gmail.
But every single OG was different out of the box and then continued to become even more different depending on state of hardware and how we all run all sorts of different settings. Some OGs may even be on last leg.,
I base this on a number of posts in which those forced back to a froyo or hybrid, are realizing their particular OG was ready for burial at sea.
Also I think for ROM developers, GB has forced them to step up their learning and problem solving, which will long run benefit the developers abilities and the quality we get to access. As eventually they will be forced to develop for something other than our OGs. Developing is like most everything, if you aren't advancing you are declining.
So they will be even better when all our OGs become ultimate handheld fully functional multimedia devices which all others similar will not have nearly the abilities we will with our OG.
Movies, Videos, Books, Music and games.
But as I said GB success is most influenced by the state of one's OG.
Also regarding polls, none are really a result I'd hang my hat on.
First the sample is incredibly small in comparison to numbers running flawless GB. They are less inclined to be on the forums unlike those encountering problems, who are much more likely to be on the forums to seek assistance or informing that they had to revert back.
Yet one who is running great have no actual need to visit with the same frequency, if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. Plus the theory I have found to be quite true, that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Squeaky wheel being those encountering issues and oil being the overwhelming attention they get and discounting the success stories. I have a hard time imagining someone without issues feeling the same urgency that those with problems feel in posting problems to see if they can be addressed and if not voting in their best interest to continue development for the ROM they unfortunately had to revert back to use.
As I said I have been quite lucky and fortunate regarding the good state of my OG allowing all avenues open. Be it GB, Froyo or a hybrid.
We all are in different situations due to the OG mimicry of snowflakes, no 2 are alike.

As always I love flashing me some sweet Saucery, but I love flashing many a GB now as well.
Devs seem to have discovered how to reign in the aggressive task killing either by altering its parameters back to those of Froyo which has only improved GB and how it runs even better.

Reserecting Sourceryrom could end up like the Rolling Stones tours over last 30 years.
A bunch of human skeletons kind of making a mockery of who they once were.
And regarding Sourcery, don't mess with perfection.
Hopefully everyone reads this as merely my findings over the last months and my opinions on Sourcery and leaving what is perfection as perfect rather than a forced update that may end up going in a direction that causes issues and bugs on an already issueless and bugless ROM.
A spell was cast upon us a while back and it has stuck.
But we need to bring reality back into the equation.
I would hate to see something reminiscent of Natalie Cole butchering her father's greatest song, "Unforgettable" by making it some crappy duet through the magic of video and audio advancement.
Nat King Cole made a phenomenal song, and his daughter almost ruined it forever.
Sometimes things need to be laid to rest and kept in their pristine form.
To my Fam, those who have had GB issues shouldn't forever give up on it as they are making continuous advances. Some of which are truly unique in their own right.
Thankfully though laid to rest, we can still access all its good yummyness and reliability that makes and continues to make it awesome. And for that we should all be thankful. And I know we all are.
To my breathen we are lucky, as we get to continue to ride this wave into the shore and swim back out and ride again.
Enjoy these days we still have working OGs and can run Sourcery till our OGs drop from exhaustion.
Your friend in magic and wonderment
danceswithbongs. Big Smiley face

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!

samiusmc

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the Droid 1 can't run on Gingerbread hasn't tried Liquid Gingerbread 1.42. It's running flawlessly on my Droid. I'm getting 1600 Quadrant scores, excellent battery life and there are no bugs.

Kenny Bats

Reaction score
What types of problems are you facing? It's one thing to say that you think developing for GB was a mistake but please give some examples. My OG hadles GB just fine. I really haven't had any issues at all besides a random reboot here and there. No big deal to me though. I am currently running PEGB but have used CM, LGB and most all the GPA's and have settled on PE for now. I didnt have really any issues with any of the ROM's just prefer PE at this time.
I work in IT and have to say that 99% of the time its END USER ERROR! Go back to stock or develop your your own ROM instead of complaining.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Kenny
Don't mistake lamenting for complaining.
It was written more to hail Sourcery, I believe, than to attack other ROMs and their developers.
Many threads here have been in regards to what ROM to try post Sourcery.
And this was a report back on one Sourcerers experience for those who are still running Sourcery and have yet to flash anything else. I wrote something not the same, but similar in reporting back to the crew my individual experience.
Many who used this ROM became devotees and have lamented the finality of it.
The OP if read more in context to the entirety of the life cycle of Sourcery, comes across a bit different. Not as an attack or insult, but rather a wish that all good things did not have to end.
The thread is much less about dissing and more about what could have been but will never be.
Hopefully you can see it in a slightly different light.
Just as you, GB has been great for me and my OG.
And with GB it is less user error and more the state and health of the individual OG.
Just wanted to shed some additional light so perhaps you might see this for what it is or meant to be.
No need for any arguments of somewhat unwarranted nature due to message being lost in translation.
We all have the best smartphone around.
danceswithbongs

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Its alive

yeah ive been watching and wanted to say thanks for all the great comments on our rom. Sorry for the quick cancelation i had my reasons. But i have seen a lot of in fighting in these threads. its funny 2 days ago gflam sent me a post with 168 viewers in sourcery threads never had that many when it was in production.

what i see is people that want to continue to talk about sourcery and believe its more stable and works for them better than a GB rom. this is a sourcery thread so i dont see the problem. i dont see people going to the GB threads and saying this rom is horrible soucery is better , so why is it people have to come in here and argue.

Keep in mind that they probably know i am reading this forum and that i 100% agree that gb is not the way to go for droid 1's no matter how much is working its still a huge memory issue i do not like having an app close everytime i leave it thats worse than apples implementation of multitask. and i guess since i did build my own rom i am allowed to say that right?

If Gb works for you great but until you can go and answer every problem in the threads as to why those people are having those issues you should stop complaining about people complaining. that is the main problem with gb for some people they have problems and they get no answers other than its user error but that just isnt always the case just because it works on 1 phone doesnt mean it will on another. i can say most problems are caused by themes and not the rom itself though.

but thanks for the support all and if you dont care about sourcery please stop coming in here and arguing with the users that are trying to talk about sourcery.

for anyone wondering about the future of sourcery only guarantee i could tell you is there will not be a sourcery gingerbread for the droid 1 ever.

CM has done a great job getting the things working and its great so many people are enjoying it. but the users here that had problems arent lying, there is no reason to- the rom they are talking about isnt in production. so please stop coming to this thread making deflamatory statements ie( stop complaining and build your own rom) they have every right to make any statement they want. and are doing it politely . Your post was uncalled for but it did make me make an appearance. but now your gonna have to read the response by bongs and that could be long :)

adsfa34

Reaction score
yeah ive been watching and wanted to say thanks for all the great comments on our rom. Sorry for the quick cancelation i had my reasons. But i have seen a lot of in fighting in these threads. its funny 2 days ago gflam sent me a post with 168 viewers in sourcery threads never had that many when it was in production.

what i see is people that want to continue to talk about sourcery and believe its more stable and works for them better than a GB rom. this is a sourcery thread so i dont see the problem. i dont see people going to the GB threads and saying this rom is horrible soucery is better , so why is it people have to come in here and argue.

Keep in mind that they probably know i am reading this forum and that i 100% agree that gb is not the way to go for droid 1's no matter how much is working its still a huge memory issue i do not like having an app close everytime i leave it thats worse than apples implementation of multitask. and i guess since i did build my own rom i am allowed to say that right?

If Gb works for you great but until you can go and answer every problem in the threads as to why those people are having those issues you should stop complaining about people complaining. that is the main problem with gb for some people they have problems and they get no answers other than its user error but that just isnt always the case just because it works on 1 phone doesnt mean it will on another. i can say most problems are caused by themes and not the rom itself though.

but thanks for the support all and if you dont care about sourcery please stop coming in here and arguing with the users that are trying to talk about sourcery.

for anyone wondering about the future of sourcery only guarantee i could tell you is there will not be a sourcery gingerbread for the droid 1 ever.

CM has done a great job getting the things working and its great so many people are enjoying it. but the users here that had problems arent lying, there is no reason to- the rom they are talking about isnt in production. so please stop coming to this thread making deflamatory statements ie( stop complaining and build your own rom) they have every right to make any statement they want. and are doing it politely . Your post was uncalled for but it did make me make an appearance. but now your gonna have to read the response by bongs and that could be long :)

+ 1 million ... well said, eagle. my question of the possibility for a "GB sourcery" was a combination of wishful thinking and a sideways comment of "if anyone could do it well, you guys could." i was on [insert common GB ROM here] for a day before i re-flashed sourcery.

a *lot* of personal preference goes into the "what ROM is best?" question...hence why there is such ongoing debate. but i can faithfully say that, IN MY OPINION, sourcery is unmatched in nearly every metric. but we all still need to respect other users' opinions and recognize that they may not care for the same things that we do. some users see customization as superfluous. some see it as gold. some users see theming as tacky. some see it as art.

i know which camp i'm a part of, and i'm proud of it. and i'm glad to be running sourcery and it will be a long time before that isn't the case.

great work again eagle (& gflam) ... and i know that if there was *ever* a chance for y'all to get back together (i know you had your reasons, and i'm not undermining them) and resurrect sourcery, I know for certain that you would have a *lot* of people here to support you. :)

all the best to the both of you :D

Dawg72

Reaction score
Thanks for stopping by eagle. Who cares what some people say. Sourcery is a great rom and I am still using it as I have refused to flash anything else for now. Thanks for your hard work with Gflam in making it. Still the best thing for the OG as far as I'm concerned.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Eagle the title of your post was the exact words from Stripes that popped into my head.
Now don't go messing with my longwindedness as it is due to incredible lung capacity that the good lord blessed me with.
But if you wanna go, I'm on the next plane to Colorado where I will kidnap you and fly to San Fran where I will take you down. Down to China Town...
Perhaps some Dim Sum.
Glad to see you have been keepin your pimp hand strong.
danceswithbongs

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
exactly

Eagle the title of your post was the exact words from Stripes that popped into my head.
Now don't go messing with my longwindedness as it is due to incredible lung capacity that the good lord blessed me with.
But if you wanna go, I'm on the next plane to Colorado where I will kidnap you and fly to San Fran where I will take you down. Down to China Town...
Perhaps some Dim Sum.
danceswithbongs

someone told me the title sounded like sourcery was alive i told them no from stripes when the sergent comes back :)

you know it kinda scares me that we are thinking alike. :)

OP
Chizzele

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I know you are still around eagle... almost like old times...

Perhaps some Dim Sum.
danceswithbongs

someone told me the title sounded like sourcery was alive i told them no from stripes when the sergent comes back :)

you know it kinda scares me that we are thinking alike. :)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Italian Barracks Scene 1 Take 1

Dewey Oxburger speaking to his bunkmate: Yeah you make my bed because we're in Italy, if we were in Germany I'd make your bed. But we're in Italy.

Voice of Sargeant Hulka off screen : Boys... Welcome to Italy.

Winger: Itttt isssss aliiiive....

and scene

MJ5150

Reaction score
I'm sticking with Sourcery, end of discussion for me. No plans of changing, ever. Why should I?

But I do appreciate you other guys going out and trying the ROM's that don't work so I don't have to. :)

-Mike