Gapgate?! Let's hope they fix this quick.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
From Gapgate Samsung s Galaxy Note 4 might have a big manufacturing problem - Yahoo News

‘Gapgate': Samsung’s Galaxy Note 4 might have a big manufacturing problem

Samsung keeps making fun of Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus “Bendgate” problem, but the company might have issues of its own with the new Galaxy Note 4. The device might not bend, but buyers in South Korea have already noticed a manufacturing issue affecting some of the first Galaxy Note 4 units: Apparently, there’s a gap where there shouldn’t be.

According to South Korean publication IT Today, some Galaxy Note 4 users have noticed a space between the phone’s frame and the display panel, both on the top/bottom or on the sides, posting images with business cards inserted in those gaps. The report also says that two pieces of A4 paper fit inside the gaps.

It’s not clear how widespread the issue is, considering that Samsung’s South Korean Galaxy Note 4 launch day sales amounted to around 30,000 units, or all available stock Samsung had on hand, but apparently the company is aware of the issue.

Considering that Samsung has rushed Galaxy Note 4 launch, at least in its home country,
to better counter the iPhone 6 record sales, it’s likely this screen separation issue is a limited manufacturing problem that will be corrected before it becomes Samsung’s “Gapgate,” or something similar, once the handset launches in more markets next month.

Meanwhile, an image showing two distinct Galaxy Note 4 units affected by the matter follows below.

(Follow the link at the top for the pics)

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Looks to be affecting the white version mainly...I don't think this issue will effect the U.S. Launch much as long as Samsung starts to fix issue now.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Looks to be affecting the white version mainly...I don't think this issue will effect the U.S. Launch much as long as Samsung starts to fix issue now.
Yeah. Only a few reports so far as well out of the 30,000 that they sold and those were the initial stock.

I ordered the black one, so I should be good. ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would just hold off on being the first to order or make sure you get a good extended plan. As I stated in this thread, hot devices are going to release with flaws trying to fill the rush.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would just hold off on being the first to order or make sure you get a good extended plan. As I stated in this thread, hot devices are going to release with flaws trying to fill the rush.
Well I already pre-ordered, but I'll be taking it right in if mine ends up being one afflicted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am sure this problem will be fix by the release date here. They already know about the problem. The only problem is that it might delay the release date!

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Depending on the source you use, Samsung has said that it doesn't affect functionality of the device and also lists it in the troubleshooting section of the manual available for download as a "manufacturing feature, and there may be a bit of vibration" as well as "the gap may expand over time" (I'm completely paraphrasing)

I'm starting to worry about my pre-order now. Hopefully, if it's a big enough deal to bother me, VZW will go good on it and give me a new one.

I watched a video today where a guy tried different thicknesses of paper and he managed to get some to stick in the side, but there wasn't a gap that I could notice. As long as it's not visible and/or sticking out like a sore thumb and doesn't allow lint under the screen after some time in the pocket, I can let it slide, but if it becomes all I can see when I pick the phone up, we're gonna have problems...

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Your Note 4 may have a gap but Samsung says that s not a defect

As also pointed out jk. So Samsung's response is the gap is suppose to be there, more and more they are sounding like Apple.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
Sure, but did apple warn you about the bend in the manual before the phone released?

Again, I guess I'll wait and see. I'm also wondering if the slight curvature of the screen makes it easier to slip paper in there.

If it's uniform, it won't bother me much, but if it feels loose or gets dirt/lint under the screen, I'll be pissed. Wonder how much of the bezel that case I ordered covers...

Lol

I really hope this is a non issue. I want this phone. Not even sure what I'd want if I had to cancel my order or return it for something else.

I like the customization of the moto x, but the camera gets meh reviews. & I don't wanna wait longer to get the nexus.

I'm now more anxious than ever to get the phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sure, but did apple warn you about the bend in the manual before the phone released?

Again, I guess I'll wait and see. I'm also wondering if the slight curvature of the screen makes it easier to slip paper in there.

If it's uniform, it won't bother me much, but if it feels loose or gets dirt/lint under the screen, I'll be pissed. Wonder how much of the bezel that case I ordered covers...

Lol

I really hope this is a non issue. I want this phone. Not even sure what I'd want if I had to cancel my order or return it for something else.

I like the customization of the moto x, but the camera gets meh reviews. & I don't wanna wait longer to get the nexus.

I'm now more anxious than ever to get the phone.

May not be a bad idea to pay the 7 a month for extended coverage/insurance just in case. You will not notice dust getting under the screen until maybe 3-4 months in. But you are getting an awesome device either way. Note phones are awesome.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
As also pointed out jk. So Samsung's response is the gap is suppose to be there, more and more they are sounding like Apple.

I am on the fence about this. If the Alpha can have the same build and not have gaps then what manufacturing processes is so different on the Note 4 that makes the difference? Is that also in the Alpha's handbook?

I don't see this being thrown into the Note 4 guide as an afterthought that Samsung is using as an excuse.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
May not be a bad idea to pay the 7 a month for extended coverage/insurance just in case. You will not notice dust getting under the screen until maybe 3-4 months in. But you are getting an awesome device either way. Note phones are awesome.

It's 8 bucks & I got it. Had it for the s4 on the previous payment plan & kept it when I switched to edge. You're absolutely right on not noticing for a while, but even though they claim to know of the issue, I hope that means it's really just a slight cosmetic issue & goes no further.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I am on the fence about this. If the Alpha can have the same build and not have gaps then what manufacturing processes is so different on the Note 4 that makes the difference? Is that also in the Alpha's handbook?

I don't see this being thrown into the Note 4 guide as an afterthought that Samsung is using as an excuse.
I gotta wonder if it's similar to bend gate in that the overall size of the device is a factor.

If there was something with comparable specs, I'd probably go with it, but I've made the decision to bump up my screen size & I like the functionality of the spen if it works as demoed.