Galaxy Tab Questions

KSR

Reaction score
Well I have a Droid X from Verizon and I'm debating rather I want a Galaxy Tab or an iPad. What can this Droid tablet do that my Droid X can't? Or is it just a jumbo Droid? I'm confused as to if I should get the tablet, or not.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
to be completely honest, it's just a bigger phone imo.

I used one at the verizon store and I really can't find a reason why I would get it over an ipad. Then again I can't figure out why I would get an ipad over a netbook.

If you want a tablet, get the ipad. If you want the android experience in the tablet, then the galaxy tab is perfect. However i know there are alot of other manufacturers who have android tablets (though not as good though).

I personally am not getting a tablet since I have a netbook and a google cr-48 now =P. I have no point in getting a tablet and I don't see why everyone wants one, other than ipad making it mainstream... and it's the "cool" thing to have

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Unless you are in a big hurry, wait about three months. There will be a much wider selection of Android tablets, some with Gingerbread on them. Maybe even a few with Honeycomb. Also the second generation iPad should be announced.

The OS upgrades for Android should make a huge difference in the usefulness of those tablets. iPad's will be upgrading the hardware, I hope, which will have a big impact on their abilities.

Now, I have an iPad, and I love the thing. That makes the rest of what I have to say a bit biased, even though I'll attempt to be even handed.

Both the current iPad and the Android tablets have been called just bigger versions of their respective smart phones. There is some justification for this, more so with the current Android tablets than the iPad. The people who say this though have their own use case for the devices. The final judgement should always be based on what you will do with the device.

They are both good at video, pictures, books, and web access. Flash may or may not be a deal breaker for you. Keep it in mind. Personally I rarely find a page I can't browse on my iPad, but that's my use pattern.

The iPad is the leader in games and most other apps. Not because of capability of the hardware, but because there are simply tones of great apps available. While some argue that you only need one great app for each use, the truth is that if there are three great apps then the developers are under constant pressure to improve them. This will even out in time. Probably no more than another year at most.

Android is vastly more customizable. On the other hand the old saying, "What you can do, you have to do." applies. The stock settings are rarely better than ok, and if the OS follows suit with my Droid X experience you are going to end up doing some minimal digging around, just to get it to work the way you think it should.

The iPad is much less customizable. The interface is pretty much set in stone, with only minor cosmetic touches available. On the other hand I have yet to have an iOS device suddenly stop working properly for no apparent reason. I can't say the same for my Droid X, though so far the issues have only been minor annoyances. You can argue the wheres and why-fors all day, but iOS is more stable. Again, Android should be catching up with this with each update.

I should also say that my stability comments are based on a phone vs a tablet. Phones often have more stuff going on in the background, so the difference may disappear when comparing tablet to tablet.

My final argument is for the iPad. Not because I think the Galaxy Tab is a bad choice, but because I think having one of each device is a big bonus. I mean seriously, I never have to be gloomy because the other platform has some great app that I can't use.

I'd buy one of the new Android tablets too, if my budget permitted.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to the Galaxy section.

I have an iPad. In its simplest form, wifi, it is a large iPod touch. If you add 3G you can make calls so you have a large iPhone. Not sure how the Galaxy compares. However, I agree with TwerpPoet, if you are not in a rush there are some new tablets scheduled for release the first quarter of 2011.

Mike

-GalaxyTab-

Reaction score
We'll dont jump to conclusions, if the think about it the iPad is a giant iPhone and a Galaxy Tab is a giant Droid. But the Galaxy Tab has an advantage, the iPad is locked down but the Galaxy Tab has an open Market and I truly think the size is more comfortable. Right now I am typing from my Galaxy Tab with a keyboard and you can also get a mouse. Overall I think you should get a Galaxy Tab.

Sent from my GalaxyTab using DroidForums App

AlphaDroid

Reaction score
Well I have a Droid X from Verizon and I'm debating rather I want a Galaxy Tab or an iPad. What can this Droid tablet do that my Droid X can't? Or is it just a jumbo Droid? I'm confused as to if I should get the tablet, or not.

Would you rather surf the net on your Droid X or on a Galaxy? I would rather carry the lightweight Droid, but when it comes to surfing time or watching youtube videos and such, I think the Galaxy is a better viewing device. For checking the weather, bus schedule...lightweights are fine, but when you are looking for details in web pages and better viewing experiences, the larger screen is better.

Last edited:

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The Galaxy is half the size of the Ipad. When you are carrying a device for long periods of time, I'd rather carry the lighter version.

If I didn't have the Droid X I'd probably want the smaller 7" device, for pretty much the reason you stated. But since I do I'm not likely to carry both in my pocket. At that point I'm looking for something that is different enough to be worth keeping close; in the car, backpack, or around the house. Handy, quick to use, but not something else in my pocket.

When the iPad first came out I didn't have a smart phone, and was wishing it was small enough to fit in a pocket. Seemed like a great combo if all you had was a feature phone.

I can see where it could be attractive for heavier mobile users though. You could save the phone battery by using the tablet for everything but calls, and maybe SMS.

OP
K

KSR

Reaction score
Yeah. I wanted an iTouch but I found that I don't want another device taking up pocket space since I already have a Droid X. I'm leaning towards an iPad (maybe) b/c then I can have like one Android and one Apple device; kinda "the best of both worlds" but I don't know. I'll probably wait a few months and see what new tablets come out.

I kinda want a bigger screen, but I'll see what interests me more because I did fall in love with Android. And I might get an Android tablet anyways, because I know there's more of a range out there already but I'll probably wait a little bit longer (and loads of more research) before making a decision.

johnny6speed

Reaction score
Take heed of what others have mentioned here. Wait. I have both the Gtab and iPad. For me Gtab > iPad. CES is in a few weeks and once you read and hear whats coming out, your E-Peen will fully inflated.

craig8868

Reaction score
I have the iPad and SGT and the SGT wins hands down for portability. For me, I love the 7 inch screen and smaller size makes it easier for me to bring it with me wherever I go. The iPad is just too big IMO. I have everything synced on my SGT to my google account and now use my phone for mainly calls. I even setup google voice so I can text from the SGT for free. :)