Galaxy SII Announcement Coming August 29? We hope so!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn, the stupid forum update wont let me edit my posts. Anyway, I like that about Samsung and think its pretty cool. Manufacturers should realize that the aftermarket is a big reason why their phones sell.

CM74DX

ElMuneco

Reaction score
The only way I would consider the GS2 is if it is 4G LTE. Other then that The Bionic will be my choice. I hope that both is a world phone so I can ditch my other BB completely..

I wish we could rep people on here like on another website I'm a member of. This a great take. A :pint: for Preach2k

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^The update to the site has a Like button now. Rest the mouse on the post and it comes up on the right.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Questions to those who are thinking about the GS2. Are you prepared to wait a long time for an update? All I can say is talk to friends of yours who have the Fascinate who got Froyo update not to long ago. When all others got it last year. Are you willing to still have gingerbread on your phone while all others have ice cream Sandwich? Chances of you being the very last to get an update does that bother you? After talking to a couple of friends of mine they said they will not trust Samsung again because of the update situation. What do you think? Just a few questions to think about!! Please reply I like to get your feed back!!!

Jester6x

Reaction score
Questions to those who are thinking about the GS2. Are you prepared to wait a long time for an update? All I can say is talk to friends of yours who have the Fascinate who got Froyo update not to long ago. When all others got it last year. Are you willing to still have gingerbread on your phone while all others have ice cream Sandwich? Chances of you being the very last to get an update does that bother you? After talking to a couple of friends of mine they said they will not trust Samsung again because of the update situation. What do you think? Just a few questions to think about!! Please reply I like to get your feed back!!!

For me it won't matter. I will root and run that way. I like having control over the phone and being able to get rid of all the extra junk to save battery life. That's how I ran my D1 and was very happy.

On the other side, if I wasn't going to root, I still wouldn't be too worried. I have found that new updates tend to be more hype than actual performance. I would actually rather run Froyo than Gingerbread. I think its a better version of android and is less resource hoggy (and no, hoggy is not a word but you know what I mean, haha). There are only two things I actually like in GB and that's the dark notification bar and the ability to eliminate one item in the notifications instead of clearing them all. I have found when a new version of android comes out, you tend to have to wait for most apps to adopt it too. Then there tend to be new bugs and maybe your favorite app just isn't anymore, and for what? If your phone is running great the way it is and you are happy, the updates really won't do anything but cause potential aggravation.

If you like to tinker, and I do, then I would suggest rooting. Both phones will have a great dev following and support will be top notch. If you are a stock guy, most likely any upgrade isn't going to change your life enough to sweat it.

Just my two pennies :)

stinger161

Reaction score

As long as BBC continues with his plan for world dominance and brings the GS2 into the "Darkslide" there is no need for any updates! *This comment should not be used to imply anything about any future plans of BBC, his character, or which alignment of The Force™ he belongs to only as the authors love for the Darkslide rom and all it's brilliance*

mralex

Reaction score
considering the bionic isnt a world phone, if the GS2 has 4g lte then the bionic sales my suck bad.I think Motorola delayed way to long on this item.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
considering the bionic isnt a world phone, if the GS2 has 4g lte then the bionic sales my suck bad.I think Motorola delayed way to long on this item.

How do you know it is not a world phone? We do not know if it one or not. Photon is a world Phone and Motorola has said that that is the Direction it is going.. If you are going by the FCC Report then I suggest that you go look at the FCC for the D3 and the Photon because it was not mentioned on their FCC reports that they were world phones either. So I am not going to say that the Bionic is not a World phone until after it gets release or some real complete specs get released. Now I agree that if the GS2 is LTE that Bionic sales will suffer but I still think it will be a great phone.

creaky

Reaction score
I'm totally with you, Jester. Who needs updates if the dev community is behind your phone? I'd love to get CM7 on the SGS2 and see what it can do. However, if the Bionic is a world phone, I'll probably go with that unless the SGS2 comes out around the same time and I fall head-over-heels in love with it.

mralex

Reaction score

You are absolutely right , I cant assume it wont be a world phone.I personally like the bionic and it is to bad that it didn't come out in July. It could have devoured many many customers that where waiting for a good 4G LTE Dual core phone, not that the others where that bad but they had there issues. The current technological craze has moved from 1 GHZ dual core to 1.2 GHZ Dual core to now rumored 1.5 GHZ dual core. The GS2 isn't that far ahead of the Bionic spec wise however the GS2's benchmark test is amazing. Have you seen any new updated bench test for the more recent version of the bionic.

mralex

Reaction score

For me the option to update if I decide not to root is important. It would suck to pay top dollar for what seems to be leading technology in smart phones and cant even get updates. Samsung needs to fix that issue.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
You are absolutely right , I cant assume it wont be a world phone.I personally like the bionic and it is to bad that it didn't come out in July. It could have devoured many many customers that where waiting for a good 4G LTE Dual core phone, not that the others where that bad but they had there issues. The current technological craze has moved from 1 GHZ dual core to 1.2 GHZ Dual core to now rumored 1.5 GHZ dual core. The GS2 isn't that far ahead of the Bionic spec wise however the GS2's benchmark test is amazing. Have you seen any new updated bench test for the more recent version of the bionic.

I do not rely on benchmarks.. I take them with a grain of salt. If the phone can do the job that I need it to do then I a m ok with that.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
For me the option to update if I decide not to root is important. It would suck to pay top dollar for what seems to be leading technology in smart phones and cant even get updates. Samsung needs to fix that issue.

Don't blame Samsung for this , Over The Air Updates are pushed by the carrier , Samsung did their job and updated the software for their Galaxy S line , proof is that the rest of the world has Gingerbread on their Galaxy S phones .

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Who do we blame then when Motorola and HTC phones get updated better in the U.S.? Its the great mystery.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Don't blame Samsung for this , Over The Air Updates are pushed by the carrier , Samsung did their job and updated the software for their Galaxy S line , proof is that the rest of the world has Gingerbread on their Galaxy S phones .

Actually it is Samsung that get the Blame!! Samsung supplies the updates for their phones. If the updates are not up to standards of Verizon. Verizon rejects it. At first Samsung said they was not going to update the Fascinate then after the feed back from the phone owners and Verizon they reneged and offered a sub pare update in which got rejected by Verizon. When they came with a good one that got accepted by Verizon then the Fascinate got Fro-yo... They have always been the last to give updates if they give updates at all.