Galaxy S-3

jickracer007

Reaction score
I currently have the Droid Bionic and had to let go of my unlimited data, which killed me. But let me stay in track.
Is it that much better if a phone to pull the trigger and use my upgrade?
I have all of the files needed to restore my phone no matter what I do and I have really enjoyed my Bionic but as we all no there is always going to be a "better" phone in the wings.
So I am polling you Galaxy users. Is it worth upgrading or should I wait?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Moving to the Galaxy S3 General Discussion forum. :)

liteon163

Reaction score
It seems as if you've rooted your phone, but you don't say what you're running... I'll just assume you're not running ICS yet.

I would wait until you get the official ICS update on your Bionic. Give it a shot for awhile. If it's still not floating your boat, use the upgrade.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
The phone is awesome and I have no complaints, but I would probably wait a month or so and see what the next HTC device will be. Also the new Nexus devices will be out in the next few months, so that's something to look forward to. I would have waited myself, but i needed to use my upgrade to keep my unlimited data. Like i said, the phone is great, and you wont be disappointed if you want to go ahead and get a new toy.

huskur

Reaction score
The GS3 is an awesome device. My wife has the bionic and it is great also. I would get the SG3 if I were you

Batman8

Reaction score
I too have a Bionic, and I upgraded to the Galaxy S3 due to the Bionic having too many data drop problems. It was driving me crazy for months. Now I must say that I really LOVE the GS3!!! It has a bigger screen, is faster, slimmer, has a higher resolution, better battery, takes much better pics and videos, and is lighter in weight than the Bionic so it feels much more like a super phone. The fact that it already runs ICS is a plus as well. I would make the switch if I were you unless the Bionic is really satisfying ALL of your needs right now. If so, then just keep using it and save your $$.

One other thing to keep in mind if upgrading, and that is that the Bionic is still a decent device, so even if you don't have it on your plan anymore you can still get a lot of use out of it. I still use mines at home to project movies/tv show via the HDMI dock and I use it all over the house with the lapdock all working over wifi only. So it functions more like a little tablet instead of a phone now.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
While the S3 is an improvement over the Bionic in many, if not most, areas (and not so much in others for some users, particularly where reception is concerned), it's not a huge upgrade. When talking about switching from the RAZR MAXX to the S3, in this post zomnomnombie called the move a "sidegrade" rather than a true "upgrade." I think that's a great way of putting it when looking at making the switch from the Bionic as well. The S3 is a great device, and I've been far more pleasantly surprised by it than I thought I would be given my prior experiences with Samsung smartphones on Verizon, so I have no problem recommending the S3 to just about anyone. But if you're the type of person who gets a phone and keeps it for a long period of time, the jump from the Bionic to the S3 isn't nearly as big as the jump from something like the Droid X. If I were you, and I was looking to use an upgrade, I would wait and see what comes about with the RAZR HD, the rumored 1080p HTC, or maybe even the rumored line-up of several Nexus devices from different manufacturers. If you were on something like the Droid X, then I'd say go ahead and jump on the S3 without hesitation. But since you've got the Bionic, and you enjoy it, I'd hold out for a little while longer. Just my opinion though. :)

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
Dude, comparing the bionic to the razr/s3 is a joke. I've had all of them. Huge improvements in specs on the s3. The S4 processor alone + 2 gbs=much better overall experience.

I've had em all, plus more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

chadmeister

Reaction score
I was in the same boat, had recently the bionic and when I went for the upgrade lost my unlimited data, (which they said they emailed everyone about it but never got it) I called Verizon from best buy and they wouldn't budge but did waive the activation fee. I have to say the galaxy s3 was the best choice to make. The phone has so many different user friendly features with the motion device and many more. I would definitely take the upgrade unless you are one of those people who watch non stop you tube videos all day using up your network.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Dude, comparing the bionic to the razr/s3 is a joke. I've had all of them. Huge improvements in specs on the s3. The S4 processor alone + 2 gbs=much better overall experience.

I've had em all, plus more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've had them all (at the same time), plus a one or two other phones too over the years as well. ;)