Galaxy Note 4 and Other Samsung Android Devices Facing Possible US Sales Ban

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-vs-samsung-qualcomm-us.jpg

It looks like Samsung will have to go to court again to keep several of their devices (including the Galaxy Note 4) from a US sales ban. The surprising thing is that it isn't Apple they will be squaring off against this time... it's NVIDIA. The U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) voted recently to investigate NVIDIA's claims of patent infringement by both Samsung and Qualcomm. This is the same lawsuit we touched on in a previous story, here.

NVIDIA's legal complaint lists several of Samsung's Exynos processors, and various Qualcomm CPUs, which include the Snapdragon S4, 400, 600, 800, 801 and 805. These chipsets are supposedly violating several NVIDIA GPU patents. NVIDIA is requesting the ITC ban a number of Samsung devices, including the recently launched Galaxy Note Edge and Galaxy Note 4. The Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy Note Pro and Galaxy Tab 2 are also named in the suit.

NVIDIA Executive vice president and chief administrative officer, David Shannon, said, "“We are pleased with the ITC decision today to open an investigation and look forward to presenting our case on how NVIDIA GPU patents are being used without a license."

What do you think of this new legal brouhaha brewing?

Source: NVIDIA

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Pre-orders were already made I highly doubt the US court will prevent the note 4 from reaching shelves for a number of reasons.

1. Samsung they know Nvidia they don't
  2. Samsung have money to stall, which while it is on the bottom of the inbox Note 4s will be shipped and sold
  3. I would not be surprised if the judge had a Samsung
  4. If Apple could not stop the sell of Samsung, and Apple had an army as well physical proof, I do not see how nvidia is going to be able to do anything. The only thing they can hope for is to be awarded damages.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Pre-orders were already made I highly doubt the US court will prevent the note 4 from reaching shelves for a number of reasons.

1. Samsung they know Nvidia they don't
  2. Samsung have money to stall, which while it is on the bottom of the inbox Note 4s will be shipped and sold
  3. I would not be surprised if the judge had a Samsung
  4. If Apple could not stop the sell of Samsung, and Apple had an army as well physical proof, I do not see how nvidia is going to be able to do anything. The only thing they can hope for is to be awarded damages.

NVidia is a pretty big name. They may be one of the many in mobile devices but they are far from a tiny company.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The main issue I see is they are claiming infringement for at least 6 generations of processors. I don't even remember a phone with a S4, or 400 chip. If there was much truth to this it would have come to court sooner and not just cover recent devices.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Nvidia.. The new Apple.. Lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The Nvidia lawyers in this case are the same ones Apple used. They are also the ones Intel uses.

Apple also uses Qualcomm parts in their phones...modems etc.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Here we go again. Guess if you can't make enough money selling your own product, why not sue someone...

Why not sue every manufacturer using a 400, 600, 800, 801 and 805 chip?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They shouldn't be suing anyone except Qualcomm. Samsung does not produce GPUs. The entire basis of this suit is GPU patent infringement. So theoretically they could sue us for owning one.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
The main issue I see is they are claiming infringement for at least 6 generations of processors. I don't even remember a phone with a S4, or 400 chip. If there was much truth to this it would have come to court sooner and not just cover recent devices.

The galaxy s4.

delcopa

Reaction score
They shouldn't be suing anyone except Qualcomm. Samsung does not produce GPUs. The entire basis of this suit is GPU patent infringement. So theoretically they could sue us for owning one.

Don't give them any ideas :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk