Galaxy Nexus/ICS Voice Dialer Over Bluetooth

mbidewell

Reaction score
I am considering the Galaxy Nexus when my next upgrade is available. One thing holding me back is that the default "Voice Dialer" in previous android versions is not completely handsfree - i.e. there are no voice prompts or they are not available over bluetooth and there is either no confirmation or confirmation cannot be completed handsfree. Does this problem still exist on the Galaxy Nexus/ICS?

Thanks.

OP
M

mbidewell

Reaction score
I have Droid X, 2.3.3, use a Blueant S1 and occasionally a V4, get voice prompts.. and yeah, hands free.

The Droid X uses the third-party Nuance Voice Commands rather than the Android Voice Dialer. When I tried the Voice Dialer from CyanogenMod on my X, I got only a beep when to speak and no voice confirmation.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The Droid X uses the third-party Nuance Voice Commands rather than the Android Voice Dialer. When I tried the Voice Dialer from CyanogenMod on my X, I got only a beep when to speak and no voice confirmation.

Was it for 2.3? I'm not sure about the others, but when the OG starting getting GB ROMs the bluetooth lady didn't work for close to half a year. I believe it eventually got fixed kind of...

OP
M

mbidewell

Reaction score
Was it for 2.3? I'm not sure about the others, but when the OG starting getting GB ROMs the bluetooth lady didn't work for close to half a year. I believe it eventually got fixed kind of...

I have the Droid X with 2.3 so that is what I was trying. I am aware of the issues with the ROMs. What I haven't been able to determine is if the bug was a ROM issue or an OS issue.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have the Droid X with 2.3 so that is what I was trying. I am aware of the issues with the ROMs. What I haven't been able to determine is if the bug was a ROM issue or an OS issue.

I'm fairly positive it was a ROM issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

droid_mike

Reaction score
I'm not getting any bluetooth dialer voice prompts with my Nexus... none at all... it's almost as bad as my original Droid when it came out. Is anyone else having this problem? What can I do?

droid_mike

Reaction score
Ok, there's a correction... the bluetooth prompt isn't nonexistent, just extremely quiet... so quiet it's completely useless.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The voice dialer on the nexus is HORRIBLE.
It doesn't prompt to make sure it's dialing the correct person and there is no adaptation as there is on the Droid X.
I just tried installing voice commands from the X via titanium backup, it force closes.

ronakshah2000

Reaction score
Agreed - almost completely useless across BT. The phone may have to go back, which would suck. I hear it works great w/o bluetooth, but that doesn't do a thing for me.

droid_mike

Reaction score
Agreed - almost completely useless across BT. The phone may have to go back, which would suck. I hear it works great w/o bluetooth, but that doesn't do a thing for me.

Try Volume+, the registered version (available form the developer's web site, ironically) and adjust the bluetooth volume. It hasn't helped me too much with the "speak now" part (works aobut 30% of the time), but the call number confirmation volume is much improved for me, and that's the biggee. I think it takes some time for the volume+ to kick in, which is why it doesn't usually work for the initial prompt, but does help later on. Give it a try and see if it helps for you. As usual, YMMV.