Galaxy Edge - gimmick or useful?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been impressed by a Samsung phone, but I really like the idea of using the edge of the phone for shortcuts/widgets/clock/etc. What do you guys think? Does it seem more gimmick then useful?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 great feature. I wonder if gripping the phone will activate any edge features accidentally...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It might be more of a gimmick than useful...hard to say without using one. But I bet the loyal Samsung crowd is going to gobble them up. Its a new idea, a lot of people will probably buy it just for that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Will be interesting to see what the screen protector folks come up with.

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
Ya I feel like there will be a bunch of accidentally-pressed buttons from people not used to holding it in a new way.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should have called it the "slope". I think it will be awkard to use and view - developers will be annoyed if thave have to specially code video/games not to go over the "edge".

Granted, I can see how a true sraight edge might be difficult to see what you're doing (and, of course, that COULDN'T work functionally given phones have become thin beyond the point of practical)

Anyway, gimmick. And I predict much buyer's remorse when the novelty wears off and users get tired of trying to get used to a rather distinctive visual adjustment.

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't see it as a gimmick. It has great potential once Devs get on board. Samsung has already released the API for it. The Snapdragon community has a stronger following so I am torn on which one to get. All of my Samsung phones up until now have been from the Exynos family.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Ya I feel like there will be a bunch of accidentally-pressed buttons from people not used to holding it in a new way.
Seems the device knows if you gripping or using the edge features.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Other than just another row for icons, I can't really see much use for it. The most useful thing I can think of is sports score updates, that's it. Everything else would seem like it'd be too awkward to read, such as a text message.

Samsung and devs will probably prove me wrong, but for now I just can't see any real good use for it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Other than just another row for icons, I can't really see much use for it. The most useful thing I can think of is sports score updates, that's it. Everything else would seem like it'd be too awkward to read, such as a text message.

Samsung and devs will probably prove me wrong, but for now I just can't see any real good use for it.
I can see potential text messages coming across like a ticker when the screen is off. Caller id without waking the screen would be kinda cool too I suppose.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I just unboxed mine last night. For myself, this is definitely not a gimmick. They knocked the side bar out of the park. I was skeptical after reading a ton of reviews and any blogger that chose the gimmick route over the innovative route clearly must live an iPhone life.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think the Edge has some neat features. Definitely in my top 5 devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Congrats on your new Edge Ollie! Looking forward to hearing how you like it after a week or two of usage. I haven't been able to find (& I've been searching for the past few weeks) any real drop tests for the Edge but from what I have read, it's quite durable. Galaxy Note Edge hanging screen damage addressed by Samsung bull Load the Game
Good luck with your new device and let us know what type of case you end up going with. (IF you end up using one)

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just unboxed mine last night. For myself, this is definitely not a gimmick. They knocked the side bar out of the park. I was skeptical after reading a ton of reviews and any blogger that chose the gimmick route over the innovative route clearly must live an iPhone life.
Power Amp music player app developer evidently disagrees with the ones that call it a gimmick by adding side screen functionality into their last update. The best music player on the Store is now Edge ready!

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Gimmicky or not.. I think a feature like this could have its place. But if done poorly with the apps.. It could also be really annoying.. Or impractical