Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
We've all heard that cracked apps are bad. Bad for the developers and bad for the end users. I've recently experienced this with an app I've been working on with a friend. It's his wallpaper app that I built and update while he handles making the walls. It's a paid app on the Play Store, btw.

This morning I get a message and screen shots from him of his app that's been uploaded to one of those sites that host cracked apps. Needless to say he wasn't happy and he's pursuing it now. This site also had their own Android app so I downloaded it to my computer and decompiled it to view the code and this is what I found.

As you can see in the picture the almost endless list of permissions. If that's not enough to make you cringe, then look at the red box at the bottom where it say's android:debuggable="true" . Why is this so important? Simply put ...
Important: Ensure that you disable debugging for your app if using WebView to display paid for content or if using JavaScript interfaces, since debugging allows users to inject scripts and extract content using Chrome DevTools. To disable debugging, use theWebView.setWebContentsDebuggingEnabled() method
Source

Besides stealing, you can compromise yourself just by installing apps like these. That's why we've always suggested staying away from these sites. But in the end it's your call. Trying to download an app that costs a dollar might actually cost you a lot more

6T59oD2.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for sharing CJM. A good reminder why it's important to only use trusted apps from reliable sources. Personally, I have no problem paying a small fee for apps that give me extra benefits or extra security. I have paid for quite a few for just these reasons.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only 3rd party sites I've used are XDA and APKMirror (for an older version of one particular apk because the latest doesn't work).

I have very few paid apps, period. And a few bucks doesn't bother me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've had good success with apps from APK Mirror also. The version of Tapatalk I have been using for about 2 years came from there. I consider them to be a trusted app source.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Apkmirror is a good source for apps, especially older ones or even newer versions that haven't been pushed yet

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This goes back to how I felt back during the early development days with Android. I feel like if someone put in the time to make an app and continues supporting it why not chip them a few bucks. Seriously, we are talking about on average less than most value meals at the local burger joint.

If you don't like their work don't use it. But if you do support it.

To be honest that is partly what hurts Android with getting some of the same quality development as seen on the apple store. Developers do not feel like dealing with people stealing their apps, not to say Apple do not have people trying to clone iOS apps. Google knows this which is why they have been cracking down even more on this, and I think we are starting to see even more quality development on the play store.

I personally dislike IAP, but I understand that developers need to try and get some kind of compensation to justify the time the put in, especially if it's an app that is constantly improving. So I can accept that if the game can be enjoyed and advanced through if you choose not to purchase IAPs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I only have a couple of games on my phone and if there is a way to purchase them to avoid ads, I will. but I have had several apps over the years dropped the pay and went with ads. I guess they made more from the ads.

unfortunately you also have to watch the apps you downloaded from the play store. sometimes they get sold to another company and the focus changes from respecting the customer to taking advantage of the customers with unnecessary permissions and ads.