Frustrated: Definitive answer "Move to Phone" vs "Move to Internal Storage"

ArcticFamily

Reaction score
Looked for a definitive answer, but did not find, so permit me to ask again:

Apps >> Manage Apps >> "select app"

Options for App location are listed as: "Move to Internal Storage" or "Move to Phone"

QUESTION:

Is "Move to Internal Storage" moving to the SD Card or ???

Is "Move to Phone" moving the app to ??? The phone's internal memory in other words, NOT the SD Card?

Or do I have it all wrong? Please help me understand !!!!

WHY:
My apps are frequently not updating due to "insufficient space" errors.
Please help me understand how to best manage the "fullness" of my storage space?
Is my only option to uninstall apps or is there a way to manage where/how apps are stored ?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
You should have an option for move to SD card. Not sure why you aren't seeing it.

Anyway, the phone storage is limited. IIRC, it is either 512mb or 1 gigabyte. Internal storage is 8 gigabytes so , yes, there would be more room to add and update apps.

Another thing to consider that will free up more space is clearing the phones cache. I use a free app called app cache cleaner. I run it every couple of days and it frees up quite a bit of memory.

Hope that helps.

David

OP
ArcticFamily

ArcticFamily

Reaction score
You should have an option for move to SD card. Not sure why you aren't seeing it.

Anyway, the phone storage is limited. IIRC, it is either 512mb or 1 gigabyte. Internal storage is 8 gigabytes so , yes, there would be more room to add and update apps.

Another thing to consider that will free up more space is clearing the phones cache. I use a free app called app cache cleaner. I run it every couple of days and it frees up quite a bit of memory.

Hope that helps.

David

Thanks YellowJacket... I do use a cache cleaner as well, doesn't help too much.
I don't know why my application/memory management screens provide "Move to Internal Storage" and "Move to Phone" I am running Android 4.1.2 on a Droid Razr Maxx... Here's what I found out..

Move to Internal Storage does seem free up App space and be moving to the SD Card (?)
Move to Phone appears to be the Phone's memory... which I would have called "internal" so it's confusing.

Still looking for someone who's dealt with the same menus and understands completely :D

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
I had the insufficient space issue on my old incredible... Even though I had space available... Turns out it was corrupt file and FDR fixed it.

Anyway.... I don't have a definitive answer.... But have you tried the app2sd app? It might help?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Try this:

Shut the phone off and remove the SD card. Clean the contacts and reinsert the card, then reboot.

I went through all the apps on my phone and I had the choice of "move to phone" and "move to SD card". My guess is there is some reason app manager is not seeing the SD card as a choice. Sometimes removing the card and rebooting helps with storage related issues.

David

OP
ArcticFamily

ArcticFamily

Reaction score
Try this:

Shut the phone off and remove the SD card. Clean the contacts and reinsert the card, then reboot.

I went through all the apps on my phone and I had the choice of "move to phone" and "move to SD card". My guess is there is some reason app manager is not seeing the SD card as a choice. Sometimes removing the card and rebooting helps with storage related issues.

David

It IS seeing my SD Card... I can see that in System Apps, I can see that in connecting to a PC. I can see the items stored on the SD card, such as my pictures.... I did remove

In System Settings --- Storage... here's the listing

Phone Storage 16Gb Total Space
Backup Assistant 510mb total -- 510Mb Avail
Application Storage 417Mb Avail
Internal Storage / Storage / SDCard0 --- 4.7Gb avail -- appears to be like an "SD Card Interenal" storage??

-- new listing below --- seperate group from above ---
SD Card / Storage / SDCard1 -- 14.82 total -- 3.57GB avail

Going to Files App
Device Storage 4.7Gb Avail
SD Card 3.57 Avail

Maybe there's a setting somewhere that explains the difference or maybe it's one of the builds/kernals, etc:

Android 4.1.2
Sys Ver: 98.72.16.XT912.Verizon.en.Us
Build Date: Feb 1 013

So, it would appear

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Application storage= phone storage, phone memory, etc
SD card 0= internal memory
External SD card= external SD card
Move to SD card, or internal memory, means move to SD card 0.
You were indeed correct in an earlier post so go ahead and move your apps to internal memory and see if that helps.
Check your browser settings and delete all the downloads there, clear your call history, uncheck sync with Facebook and uncheck Facebook for shown contacts if they're checked now. Those should free up a bunch of memory Clean Master doesn't do for you.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo