FROZEN (Literally) Phone

RCFlyn

Reaction score
Has anyone left their phone outside in the freezing weather overnight?
Lastnight, I forgot my phone outside on the porch, it got down to about 5 degrees... About 5am, I couldn't find it, and remembered I was using it on the porch around 5pm lastnight... Sure enough, it was on the porch swing. I tried turning it on, and got NOTHING. I brought it inside, and around 10am, I tried again. Only this time, it came to life, but the top 3/4 of the screen remains black with a few colored vertical lines running through it. the bottom 1/4 of the screen, is just like normal. At the intersection of where it WORKS, and doesn't work, it kinda looks cracked. But when I shut the screen off, all looks like it always had.
I Did an online Claim, and the new phone (Refurb) should be here tomorrow.
I'm crossing my fingers, HOPING that they're out of Eris's, but I'm doubting it. I'm so ready to get out from under this ERIS. I've got 9 more months with it.

But, has anybody ever experienced this before? Will 12 or so hours in Below freezing weather crack the Screen????????

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It would have to be colder than 5degree to freeze LCD, They have a range of -40F or up to 115F before damage occurs.

OP
R

RCFlyn

Reaction score
I've got a new one coming... should be here tomorrow...
It's been inside, or in my chest pocket all day, so it's warmed up, but It's still doing the same thing...
when screen is on, it LOOKS Like the screen is cracked and only the bottom 1/4 is working. BUT.... I can touch the screen where an APP is, and the app will come alive, but again, I can only see the bottom 1/4 of the screen. The top 3/4 is still just black, with the random vertical line... I can still recieve calls, receive texts, browse the net, it appears all is working, I just can't see 3/4 of it. The screen ONLY Looks cracked when screen is lit up and ONLY at the intersection of where it DOES work, and does NOT work.. But when the screen is OFF, it does NOT Look cracked...
And I THOUGHT these screens were good for well below zero.... this is weird. It worked fine yesterday, only acted up after sitting outside for 12ish hours. Oh well... New one's coming...

OP
R

RCFlyn

Reaction score
New phone came. unfortunately, it's an Eris (but I knew it would be)...
Now comes the fun of trying to get everything put on it like the old one...
FUN FUN FUN....

And the old phone is still doing the same thing..

One last thing, The insurance company sent me a battery with the phone. The envelope to return the old phone says NOT to put the battery in there. Does this mean I'm getting a free battery out of the deal also???

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, check your new phone for a SD card too. All they want back it the phone. No accessories, batteries, memory cards, etc.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
R

RCFlyn

Reaction score
Yup, check your new phone for a SD card too. All they want back it the phone. No accessories, batteries, memory cards, etc.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

SWEET!!! and there's no memory card in it, that was the 2nd thing I checked for...

OP
R

RCFlyn

Reaction score
So I got the NEW Eris, all was good. For 3 or 4 days... Then next thing I knew, one day, I had to charge 2 times. Next day, had to charge 3 times. next day, had to charge 4 times. That night, phone went DEAD, and my alarms didn't go off, so I was late to class (yes, this is with charging it 4 times). So I went to Verizon after class, they called Assuron right there for me, assuron sent me a "NEW" (read, NEW, Not Re-furb) Eris on the spot. (gotta give them and ups credit, It was Saturday afternoon, around 1pm when I got to verizon, I got the Phone TODAY, Monday, at 10am, Good service if you ask me). Anyway, I got the "NEW" (not Refurbed) phone up and running, but NOW, when I connect it to my Computer, the "Mount as Disc Drive" isn't there. Just "Charge" and "HTC Sync"...
Where'd the "Mount as Disc Drive" go????
I looked in the Settings, but can't seem to find what I'm lookin for?????

OP
R

RCFlyn

Reaction score
Ok, Never mind... Mount as disc drive is there this morning..
I tried it like 50 times yesterday, it WAS NOT There... Hooked it to the computer 10 minutes ago, and it's there... WEIRD....

fingaz

Reaction score
yeah... I actually had to get 2 new phones from insurance. The one they sent me had a problem with the track ball. Needless to say, I now have 2 extra batteries and 2 extra memory cards. Furthermore, they also sent me wall chargers and car chargers. I didn't even return the back cover in case something happened to mine. This was 6 months ago and they never contacted me looking for the accessories.

so a new phone and all those accessories for $50 isn't too bad.