Front camera not working: "Camera Failed"

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand (barely used) Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-19300 and the front camera is not working. The camera app itself is now stuck on the front camera so as soon as I open it, it gives the error message and crashes but the rear camera works fine when I open Snapchat. I have tried clearing the cache and data of the camera, gallery and Snapchat apps and restarting several times to no avail. I also wiped the cache partition via turning the phone off and holding volume up, home & power.

When I dial *#34971539# and tap "Phone/CAM FW Ver Check," it says:

Rear Camera
Cam FW Ver: ZDFE02
Phone FW Ver: ZDFI02

Front Camera
Cam&Phone FW Ver: S5K6A3

The "Phone to CAM FW Write (Rear)" button is greyed out and unclickable. I think this may be the cause of the issue because in this video both of the guy's Rear Camera versions are ZDFE02. The problem is I have no idea how to fix it, I have been googling for the past 40 minutes but no thread in the archive of the most obscure forum I can find has an answer for me:
[video=youtube;Fa9qggQJ990]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa9qggQJ990&t=41s[/video]

Any help is appreciated!

oxrock

Reaction score
Really? You suggested root right above. Perhaps you don't need to reply. Your suggestion is the only reason I asked in this thread.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Really? You suggested root right above. Perhaps you don't need to reply. Your suggestion is the only reason I asked in this thread.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My suggestion was specific to the camera issue that is being discussed in this thread.

OP

Reaction score
I took it back to the shop and the guy said he would reset and re-unlock it for me because it's under warranty. He's out of town for a few days so I can't say if what he does will have fixed it for a while, but when he does finish and it goes well I'll post the solution(s) in this thread.

Otherwise, I assume that rooting is the Android equivalent of Jailbreaking, which I have no trouble doing, but are there certain things I should look out for when rooting or is it as simple as iOS jailbreaks?

OP

Reaction score
Apologies if it looks like I'm bumping, but I got the phone back and it turns out it was a hardware issue. One of the cables in the front camera wasn't connected so, now that it's soldered up, it's working even with the different firmware names.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Glad you got it resolved.