From the Iphone to the Droid, my review

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You can't really compare the Droid launch to the Iphone launch- it's not fair. The iphone was originally introduced as a phone first, then it became the multimedia and app giant that it is today. The Droid was launched off the bat to be both.

The OP needs to answer this...Doubt he can give a honest review.

Excuse me? You trying to be a jerk or did you just happen to type that weird.

Why is it not fair? 2 weeks after launch is 2 weeks after launch...Right.

Not trying to be a jerk....(I never Have to try)...But that sounded different in my head..sorry about that.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Oh, and Twoo you quoted me as saying I doubt you can give an honest review. If you look, I did not say that, Backnblack did.

OP
T

Twoo

Reaction score
So how does the Droid stack 2 weeks after launch compared to the iPhone 2 weeks after it's launch?

In what respect? Sales? Number of apps? Reliability? Number of software/hardware issues?

There are a lot of dimensions to that question. It'd be interesting to see an objective comparison.

But I agree with you that I think the Droid would win hands down, except in sales.

I got my Iphone in November of 2007, I believe that was 5 months after the original launch date. I remember there being problems with initial registration at point of purchase and the original Iphone was pretty crude in comparison to the current. The internet was painfully slow, you could only delete emails and text messages one by one without the ability to group delete. REALLY sucked when my spam folder started forwarding to my Iphone and I was getting 90+ messages a day I'd have to delete one by one. I ended up registering a new email account because of it. The iphone also wouldn't work well in humidity. The screen would get foggy from the perspiration on my hands and I'd have to wipe it on my pants to get it to be responsive again.

Unlike the Droid the App store wasn't even around with the Iphone was introduced. App store came in 2008, and when it was released it didn't have very many apps. (you can actually see it here : App Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Reliability wise I never had any issues. The only problems I had with it were I had to re-register it twice during the first couple months of ownership and I had crappy reception inside my house.

The build quality wasn't exactly the best but you have to remember there wasn't a thousand different kind of cases available at the time- so I went without a case. Within a few months the casing was scratched to hell from just sitting it on my desk every single day.

---

You can't really compare the Droid launch to the Iphone launch- it's not fair. The iphone was originally introduced as a phone first, then it became the multimedia and app giant that it is today. The Droid was launched off the bat to be both.

So how does the Droid stack 2 weeks after launch compared to the iPhone 2 weeks after it's launch?

In what respect? Sales? Number of apps? Reliability? Number of software/hardware issues?

There are a lot of dimensions to that question. It'd be interesting to see an objective comparison.

But I agree with you that I think the Droid would win hands down, except in sales.

Why is it not fair? 2 weeks after launch is 2 weeks after launch...Right.

Not trying to be a jerk....(I never Have to try)...But that sounded different in my head..sorry about that.

Two weeks after launch 2 years ago compared to 2 weeks after launch... now. Big difference. They can not be fairly compared.

2 years ago there wasn't an app store, the Iphone wasn't on a 3g network, the programming was on software written 3 years ago and the build quality wasn't top notch, the whole screen touch screen deal was pretty much pioneered by Apple for phone use (the technology that is).

The droid has an app store, it's on a 3g network, the build quality has been copied off recently designed phones and used to their advantage.

How can you compare?

That's like saying... let's compare a Ferrari 355 launch and reliability problems to a Ferrari 430 launch. Different times, different technology, everything is different.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Two weeks after launch 2 years ago compared to 2 weeks after launch... now. Big difference. They can not be fairly compared.

2 years ago there wasn't an app store, the Iphone wasn't on a 3g network, the programming was on software written 3 years ago and the build quality wasn't top notch, the whole screen touch screen deal was pretty much pioneered by Apple for phone use (the technology that is).

The droid has an app store, it's on a 3g network, the build quality has been copied off recently designed phones and used to their advantage.

How can you compare?

That's like saying... let's compare a Ferrari 355 launch and reliability problems to a Ferrari 430 launch. Different times, different technology, everything is different.

Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist over this. All I said was that a comparison would be interesting and, in fact, your comparison is interesting in that it shows just how much has changed in the last two years. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in any sort of comparison that tried to show the iPhone was crap and the Droid was great or vice versa. I already own the Droid and I'm impressed as hell with it (FWIW, I owned an iPhone also and switched because ATT coverage sucked).

Oh, and by the way, you're still misquoting me.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good point twoo, that would only be comparing apples to apples if both launched today..

OP
T

Twoo

Reaction score

How can you compare?

Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist over this. All I said was that a comparison would be interesting and, in fact, your comparison is interesting in that it shows just how much has changed in the last two years. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in any sort of comparison that tried to show the iPhone was crap and the Droid was great or vice versa. I already own the Droid and I'm impressed as hell with it (FWIW, I owned an iPhone also and switched because ATT coverage sucked).

Oh, and by the way, you're still misquoting me.

I changed the quote. Sorry about that. I hate it when forums quote everyone under the sun so I tried to edit it =p

Like I said, it was my unbiased opinion.

When the Iphone was launched and I got mine I was unbelievably excited. It was new, different, benchmarked the entire phone market. The Droid is quite possibly the first phone to challenge the Iphone and actually pose as a threat against it.

At&t has essentially been able to get away with anything they wanted because they and they alone had the Iphone, arguably the best multimedia/smartphone on the market. Now things are different. Will the Droid trump the iphone? No, I doubt it. But it will be the first phone to threaten Apple and we all know that just makes companies step their game up... which for the consumer is always a plus =)

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I changed the quote. Sorry about that. I hate it when forums quote everyone under the sun so I tried to edit it =p

Like I said, it was my unbiased opinion.

When the Iphone was launched and I got mine I was unbelievably excited. It was new, different, benchmarked the entire phone market. The Droid is quite possibly the first phone to challenge the Iphone and actually pose as a threat against it.

At&t has essentially been able to get away with anything they wanted because they and they alone had the Iphone, arguably the best multimedia/smartphone on the market. Now things are different. Will the Droid trump the iphone? No, I doubt it. But it will be the first phone to threaten Apple and we all know that just makes companies step their game up... which for the consumer is always a plus =)

I agree with everything you've said here and for the most part I've had exactly the same experience as you. I also loved the iPhone when I first got mine but agree that the Droid is a real challenger. It'll be interesting to see how things change over time, my bet's on the Droid (obviously, since I bought one :D)

And thanks for changing the quote :D

Nator76

Reaction score
Glad to hear. Many Iphone users, my wife included, won't even think of trying anything other than a new Iphone. It's great to see an Iphone user giving the Droid a chance. Once your eyes become accustomed to the resolution of the Driod, it would be hard to go back to Iphone.

Well at first I missed my Iphone.. but I missed it for all the wrong reasons. I missed the app games I played all the time (especially TapTap, my god do I miss TapTap), syncing it with my Macbook and dumping all my music on it.... but then I remembered- this is a PHONE. And though the Iphone may be fun to play with, listen to music on- it lacked the one thing that I bought it for- the ability to make phone calls. The Verizon network alone is reason to get the Droid over the Iphone.

How have you been able to integrate your music into the droid? Has it been easy? I also have an iphone with a TON of music, just curious.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
Glad to hear. Many Iphone users, my wife included, won't even think of trying anything other than a new Iphone. It's great to see an Iphone user giving the Droid a chance. Once your eyes become accustomed to the resolution of the Driod, it would be hard to go back to Iphone.

Well at first I missed my Iphone.. but I missed it for all the wrong reasons. I missed the app games I played all the time (especially TapTap, my god do I miss TapTap), syncing it with my Macbook and dumping all my music on it.... but then I remembered- this is a PHONE. And though the Iphone may be fun to play with, listen to music on- it lacked the one thing that I bought it for- the ability to make phone calls. The Verizon network alone is reason to get the Droid over the Iphone.

How have you been able to integrate your music into the droid? Has it been easy? I also have an iphone with a TON of music, just curious.
When you "mount" the Droid to your PC via USB it opens a mass storage folder just like a hard drive or thumb drive would. It's merely drag and drop. Motorola also has a sync and file managing program called 'Motorola Media Link' that you can use to edit and transfer photos and music but I haven't personally tried it yet.

stratjb

Reaction score
Although a little crude at this point, Motorola Media Link works like a charm with your iTunes library and playlists. Give it a try.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
Although a little crude at this point, Motorola Media Link works like a charm with your iTunes library and playlists. Give it a try.
I read on Motorola's forums that the Media Link doesn't play nice with Windows 7 64 bit. I believe people successfully got it to install while in Compatibility Mode but it was slow and buggy. I may wait until they update their sw, if and when they plan to do that.

bass_lover1

Reaction score

Coming from an iPhone (original and 3GS), getting music on the Droid is actually pretty much the same for me.

Mount the Droid's SD card and open up the corresponding folder. Open iTunes, and from your library, drag the songs you want into your Droid's SD card folder.

I just randomly tried this, because I don't have all my music on the Droid (it wouldn't fit anyway), but I have a playlist set up for when I go to the gym. Instead of browsing the My Music folder for each and every song (I have over 250 different artists, 10,000+ songs), which would have been a royal PITA, I just opened up that playlist, hit ctrl+a and drug that selection over to the SD card.

Works like a champ. Except for the handful of songs I forgot are in .m4a format, which the Droid doesn't like.

Nator76

Reaction score
Coming from an iPhone (original and 3GS), getting music on the Droid is actually pretty much the same for me.

Mount the Droid's SD card and open up the corresponding folder. Open iTunes, and from your library, drag the songs you want into your Droid's SD card folder.

I just randomly tried this, because I don't have all my music on the Droid (it wouldn't fit anyway), but I have a playlist set up for when I go to the gym. Instead of browsing the My Music folder for each and every song (I have over 250 different artists, 10,000+ songs), which would have been a royal PITA, I just opened up that playlist, hit ctrl+a and drug that selection over to the SD card.

Works like a champ. Except for the handful of songs I forgot are in .m4a format, which the Droid doesn't like.

sweet, sounds simple. Are you on a PC or mac? also, how has the media player been for you compared to the iphone? does it hit all your needs?

Reaction score
I used Salling media sync and it worked great. Just connect USB, mount and it launches. Pick what playlists you want to have and hit sync and it will move all playable media over (non-DRM) and maintain the playlists they are in. It syncs Music, Podcasts & photos. As you update things in iTunes, it will do the same in Salling.