Space between screen and keyboard when closed?

Stormwing

Reaction score
I just noticed that there's a odd amount of space between the screen and the keyboard on my new droid. Whenever I push down on the left side of the screen, the sliding mechanism flexes quite a bit and makes the screen hit the keyboard...is this normal? It's a bit disconcerting to feel things bend in a way they're not supposed to.
The screen itself is flat and rigid, it just feels like the sliding parts are too tall.

Would I be able to get rid of this if I got a case (such as the seidio)? I was thinking that since they have to have little tab bits that wrap around the device the slightly increased thickness of the two parts could stop this from happening.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine has a very very small space between the two. I would say maybe the size of a playing card or two. Is there anyway to take a pic of it?

OP
S

Stormwing

Reaction score
I can't get a pic right now but
3 sheets of paper is loose
4 sheets is so-so
5 sheets is snug

it wouldn't bother me if I couldnt feel the screen's movement and there wast an audible click when the screen hits the keyboard.

Also upon closer inspection I think the left side of the screen might be raised up ever so slightly.

mjs31

Reaction score
Same thing here. When closed, I get obvious movement when I push the lower left corner (return key). It was not originally like this, but has gotten this way. Not a terrible amount but definitely there.

JayMonster

Reaction score
My phone is exactly the same as yours (5 sheets to snug), and has been from day 1. I don't believe the click you hear is the "keyboard" but slider mechanism coming up and hitting the frame of the keyboard from underneath.

The Droid is a "free moving" mechanism and not "locking" so this is really a whole lot about nothing (in my not so humble opinion of course). The flex is built in so that if there is exertion placed on the edges that it does not snap the guides the way it would if it was a tight fit and enough exertion was placed on the edges. (Much the same way a tall building is built with "sway" so that it does not snap in a strong wind).

OP
S

Stormwing

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant frame of the keyboard, and I've kinda gotten used to it now. Its not as bad as I thought it would be, and if most Droids are this way there's no reason to exchange.

There is one other thing though (yes I'm picky and kinda OCD)...is it just me or does the edge of the metal rim around the screen seem to come slightly scuffed up a bit? There's a few small dents in mine, and I've seem many others with inconsistent paint. Something easily fixable with a case, but yeah.

jnew

Reaction score
Hi all, same thing on the Droid I just received from Amazon. Except I can fit like 8 pages between the bottom left corner and the keyboard. What do you all think? Should I return it? I'm hesitant because I already returned the first Droid I got, because the battery case was impossible to open. And the space doesn't actually bother me at all, except for concern about long term damage.

Thanks!

htbyron

Reaction score
My first Droid was like that, and I took it into VZW for replacement in the first 30 days. The new one is much better (tighter, no movement) -- I have now had the new one for about 30 days, and I have seen no change, although I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanism loosens a bit over time. If you have any friends with Droisd, compare them to yours and see if there is a difference. I think it may be a matter of manufacturing tolerances and unit-to-unit variance.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I have the same space with mine but I can fit 8 pieces of paper to make it snug. When I first put my Seidio cover on my phone I did not have any movement but I had to take the cover off recently to pull the battery and when I put the bottom cover back on I know have the space at the lower left corner. It is really annoying at times but I figure I will just have to live with it.

Geofferson

Reaction score
There is a noticeable space with my Droid as well. Pressing down on the lower-left and upper-left of the screen gives me a small amount of movement. Not a deal breaker, but would prefer it be more snug.