From Palm to BB to Droid X

weathergirl

Reaction score
I guess the subject says it all. I used Palm for so many years, and upgraded to a BB Storm to consolidate devices (Palm was gasping at that point). My Storm didn't seem to suffer from too many of the problems that plagued most people, so I was mostly happy with it, but there were applications that I used with the Palm that I couldn't find similarities to on the 'berry. After awhile, I got tired of the slowness and inflexibility of the device. Now I've got the Droid X, and so far, couldn't be happier. My application holes are plugged, and the speed of the device is unbelievable. Web browsing is actually a treat, now.

Anyway, figured I'd say hello, offer thanks for all the help I've already gotten while lurking here for the past month or so, and hope to be able to contribute at some point as well.

rdubb

Reaction score
I too got stuck in the Palm mode for a while, then used windows phones for a while :-( anyway, I have the droid 1 and I could not be happier.

hschwartz001

Reaction score
How do you transfer info from Palm Centro to Droid?

I've been using Palm software since 1999. Needless to say, I have A LOT of info in address book/calendar/memos/tasks. I want to buy the Droid, but need to understand how the info will transfer. I need to know it will work! Can anyone tell me about their experiences and how to do it??? Thank you!

rdubb

Reaction score
I've been using Palm software since 1999. Needless to say, I have A LOT of info in address book/calendar/memos/tasks. I want to buy the Droid, but need to understand how the info will transfer. I need to know it will work! Can anyone tell me about their experiences and how to do it??? Thank you!

The best way to get al your info from outlook (if you were syncing with outlook) is to go to import-export on your file menu in outlook. Select export contacts, select comma separated values (CSV file format) save it to your desktop. (When you buy a droid you will have to create a google email account when you activate your phone for the first time.) Anyway, go to your newly formed google account from a computer not your phone, and sign in from the google search engine screen. Select gmail and when you are in the email portion, select contacts (bottom left hand side) - then in the upper right-hand corner of your next screen you will see import-export- Import your created CSV file and follow the prompts and voila! All your contacts will be synced with your Droid.

Now, if you want to keep using your outlook to keep syncing your calendar. Go to google and put google sync in the search box and download the google sync to your desktop and follow the directions. All your calendar entries (not your contacts) will be synced with your outlook dancedroidand google and your phone!

Last edited:

hschwartz001

Reaction score
So, I need to transfer my info first to Outlook? Does everything transfer -- address bk/memos/task/calendar? Was it a smooth process or did some things not transfer?

Do you continue to use Outlook on your Droid?

rdubb

Reaction score
There is some third party software called companionlink, however I have never used it. I currently use the set-up I have described and once you set it up you are good.

rdubb

Reaction score
So, I need to transfer my info first to Outlook? Does everything transfer -- address bk/memos/task/calendar? Was it a smooth process or did some things not transfer?

Do you continue to use Outlook on your Droid?

You need to save everything from your outlook export to a CSV file. Then you are going to import all that info to your google email (webmail account)
Then google will sync your newly added contacts and calendar appointments via internet from your phone to google account- google sync will sync your calendar via internet. You will never have to plug your phone into your computer to sync data. dancedroid

rdubb

Reaction score
Sounds complicated, but it really is not. If you want to use outlook to read your mail from your google account, set it up as a imap account, that way you will not get duplicates that you have to manually delete from both places. Your phone and outlook.

hschwartz001

Reaction score
ok, it does sound complicated:)! i talked with companion link and it sounds like i can use their software to transfer everything -- not just contacts--and then can continue to use their software with the Droid. i would also have the option of transfering to outlook and using outlook. i just want to go to a software that is compatible with most phones ect so i won't have to worry about transferring info next time! thanks for the tip on companion link!

x-palm

Reaction score
On Apple: move Palm Memos and Tasks to Droid X?

Hoping there is someone out there who's mastered this frustrating transfer and can help me.

Have 1000's of important memos collected over 10 years of Palm use that i would really like to get onto my X. I have Apple computer, so i do not have Outlook. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks,
x-palm