from Berry to Moto Droid - email, pics???

mkcb

Reaction score
I just switched from my Blackberry - have had 8830 and Curve to a Moto Droid. I love how cool the screen is and all the apps. I am having a bit of a learning curve with several items.

Email - where do I control how many days of email to save for my email accounts?
How do I save pics imbedded in an email to my SD card. Have tried long press on the pic in the email and couldn't get it to work.
How do I make the email confirm delete. The delete but is hypersensitive and so I have accidentally deleted several emails.
Once an email is deleted, how do I restore it from the trash bin?

The back home keys are also very sensitive. When I am looking at an email and then accidentally get out of it (sensitive screen) does the email always take me back to the most recent instead of leaving me where I was when I left. Very different from the berry. Berry leaves me where I was when I navigate (though intentionally) away and come back.

I accidentally unmounted the SC card - I had to take phone apart, pull the card and then push back in, is there an easier way to mount the SD card? I am so glad it came with onboard memory. Blackberry had nothing.

The screen shuts down so quickly that I have to punch in my security code all the time.

Can the screen sensitivity be reduced so that I don't keep porting to other place in the phone just b/c I have clumsy fingers?

Calendar - now that I have droid and husband has berry - how do we share calendar events?

What's the quickest way to bring up numbers for dialing? On the berry, I just started typing the letters but on the droid I open the phone ap, then have to slide keyboard out, then start typing. Seems a little time consuming - there must be a faster way.

How do I keep my ear from ending a call? When I hold the phone to speak I cut off the call.

Just trying to decide whether to keep the droid or switch over to a different berry. Any help in resolving these questions will be greatly appreciated.

kristoff125

Reaction score
what email do you use? which app.
If you hit the home button, hold it down, click on the app you were last at, it should go back to where you were.
Mounting SD: Setting -> SD Card & phone storage -> un/mount SD card
Screen Timeout: Settings -> Display -> Screen Timeout
I don't know of any way to adjust sensitivity, you just get used to it I supposed.
If you both use the google calendar, you can, not sure of other apps that sync through the cloud, I think the microsoft ones should too.
Calling, When froyo comes out, which you can install but I'd recommend you get used to your phone before rooting, has a button at the bottom that opens the dialer in one click, then the touch keyboard to dial.
The proximity sensor should pick up that you are holding it up to your ear, try making a call, and covering the top left corner of the screen about 1/2 inch to the left of the "Motorola" on the top, if it doesn't turn off, you may have a faulty proximity sensor.
Don't go back to blackberry, droid takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very worth it.

Last edited:

gszeman

Reaction score
To add to what kristoff125 said about the proximity sensor, I've read that some people with long hair cause issues with the sensor. Next time you are on a call (assuming you tested the sensor as kristoff suggested and it works fine), try sweeping your hair behind your ear...or somehow keep your hair away from the screen...hope that helps!

There are several things you can do in regards to making phone calls.
- You can install a different launcher. I use LauncherPro Beta free from the market. It allows you to put dock icons along the bottom. By default, Phone is one, Contacts is another, but you can change them to any app/shortcut you like...but phone in the lower left corner works well for me.
- Just keep the phone icon and contacts icon on your main screen.
- Use the voice dial option. Either press the Voice Dial icon, or long press the magnifying glass button on the front of the phone. When the voice search box pops up, say call "contacts name"
- Hit the magnifying glass (not long press) and type the contacts name...as you type it will bring up matches. I prefer this option...very similar to BB...and it's quick.

I too came from a BlackBerry, and it is very different, but I can't imagine going back now that I have my Droid set to my liking...and I have gotten accustomed to the differences.

Hope everything works out to your liking :)

OP
M

mkcb

Reaction score
thanks and will test out

Thanks for the guidance. I will test the phone stuff out.

I am using the email software that came loaded on the phone. I have a pop3 acct for work. I like my branded email and don't want to confuse clients by redirecting to a gmail account.

The other stuff on the droid blows the berry away but email is my main function. Then web and now my newly found ap addiction. Of course I now have to fight my children for the phone.

I must have a way to forward documents and pics.

I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to respond!

rustanj

Reaction score
email and droid

I just changed from a Berry to DroidX. Playing with it I have a couple of questions. With my storm2, when deleting email, I was prompted with options of deleting from server, from just device or cancel. It seems that I only can delete from server on my Droid X, is there a setting someplace that I can use to address this?

Secondly, syncing. I use Yahoo email a lot as a widely available source for email and my calendar for my staff to put in appts etc. I do not want to change emails and retrain staff, is there a way to push or sync the Yahoo date to gmail? or a program/app that will do this?

I am a computer nerd so thanks in advance for any assistance.:icon_ banana: