Freezing After Froyo

meganimel

Reaction score
Okay, so this isn't my problem, but rather a friends. She doesn't go on these forums but her phone has always had issues. Her camera app would freeze up, screens would get stuck, and she always had to do battery pulls to get it to stop. Well, eventually the problems somehow resolved themselves but since Froyo it would seem that her phone has once again began freezing up.

Has anyone else had this problem? I certainly haven't, but part of me thinks there may be something wrong with the phone itself.

She doesn't have it rooted, all bloatware is intact, and she has never tried to mod her phone in any way.

ayeroxor

Reaction score
FROYO for Droid X is BUGGY.

Has anyone else had this problem? I certainly haven't, but part of me thinks there may be something wrong with the phone itself.

She doesn't have it rooted, all bloatware is intact, and she has never tried to mod her phone in any way.

I have DEFINITELY noticed more freezes and quirky behavior since Froyo. I have rooted, but I have NOT removed a single thing. I only use the rooting to have the ability to run a wider range of programs.

The freezes are not localized to a single app or action. I had ZERO freezes the week or two I had the phone before I ran the OTA upgrade. That first day after the Froyo upgrade, I had to pull the battery for the first time. I have since had to do it three more times.

As we speak, I am waiting for several minutes for the phone to boot up because when I tried to play videos recorded on the phone, whose thumbnails show up fine, the phone says it cannot play them, but when I download them from the phone over USB in Mass Storage mode, the files are fine.

ayeroxor

Reaction score
My phone has been booting up for five minutes and will not respond to power-off to try to reattempt boot. Make this battery removal number five... :/

EDIT: After battery removal, booted up in 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

I have DEFINITELY noticed more freezes and quirky behavior since Froyo. I have rooted, but I have NOT removed a single thing. I only use the rooting to have the ability to run a wider range of programs.

The freezes are not localized to a single app or action. I had ZERO freezes the week or two I had the phone before I ran the OTA upgrade. That first day after the Froyo upgrade, I had to pull the battery for the first time. I have since had to do it three more times.

As we speak, I am waiting for several minutes for the phone to boot up because when I tried to play videos recorded on the phone, whose thumbnails show up fine, the phone says it cannot play them, but when I download them from the phone over USB in Mass Storage mode, the files are fine.

Stupid question but have you done a factory reset and cleared the cache? Try the 2.2 sbf?

DroidMomof9

Reaction score
I noticed earlier a new website was taking a long time to load and acting wonky when I was switching from vertical to horizontal and back... thought it was the website....

Then a few minutes ago, I tried to play some music.... no go....

Then I went into the camera - could see my pictures, but when I tried to view a video..... now I can't even open up my camera - tried to take a few pictures etc....

ooh this is frustrating....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too all of you: Factory Data Reset.

And get rid of any task killers or virus protection you are using.

ayeroxor

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. Here's the reset procedure for my fellow noobs:

Hard Reset Droid X
EDIT: Hard reset not always necessary. See below.

What can we look forward to losing/redoing after a factory reset?

Also, the closest thing I have to AV is ES Security Manager. Do you know/trust it? It's supposed to be decent.

Thanks!

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
do I need to be near a verizon tower to do this? the closest one is 10 miles away....

So long as you're getting a signal it shouldn't be an issue. Basically you're just cleaning out your phone and starting it with factory settings, with the exception of 2.2 being on the X.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. Here's the reset procedure for my fellow noobs:

Hard Reset Droid X

What can we look forward to losing/redoing after a factory reset?

Also, the closest thing I have to AV is ES Security Manager. Do you know/trust it? It's supposed to be decent.

Thanks!

You can do the factory data reset out of your privacy settings. A hard reset is not necessary.

You will lose data and any unpaid applications after the reset. Your SD card will remain intact. You will need to sign into everything.

I've never heard of ES Security Manager. So long as it's not shutting off running apps in the background, I don't think there are any worries.