FREE Wifi Tether Galaxy Note 3 Using The Native Tether App NO ROOT NO HACKS

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IiS2yn0UpcN8ar_2gRJFt3pd7QaMOD-oGhCwMFRMQJ-YV5xnZaAZXZEJannY9qly6n4=w300-rw

We got root on the Verizon Galaxy Note 3 just a few days ago, but we don't even need that to wifi tether on this device for free! It is actually pretty simple to tether using the native app on the Galaxy Note 3.

Go To Settings, More Settings, Mobile Hotspot, Configure (Choose a wifi hotspot name and password)
Go To the Play Store and Grab the Hotspot Toggle Widget
Place the Widget On your homescreen
Tap the Widget to Toggle hotspot on
When the notification pops up asking you to subscribe just hit the home button
You are now tethering for free

Via XDA

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'd like to make an announcement...

This technique also worked on the Samsung Galaxy S4 running ME7! I'm running it now and tethering my old D2 Global! I'm quite pleased!

Only difference is I did the process in reverse. I installed the widget. Then went to settings and configured the hotspot using the default network name "DIY Phone Gadgets Community". Then I placed the widget on the home screen, selected it and when the subscribe prompt appeared, I hit the home button.

4a9y4e3u.jpg

(Sorry the camera didn't pick up the green checkmark as being lit, but believe me it is.)

Spread the word!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Just steamed some Netflix with this. Good find!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jseah

Reaction score
Isn't this the same thing that Elixir Widgets does?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Worked on stock, non rooted Note2

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Isn't this the same thing that Elixir Widgets does?

You may be correct in the basic functionality for this and all similar widgets, that is the ability to toggle the hotspot feature on and off, but the real question is does this also bypass the subscription check and allow the built-in hotspot software to create the hotspot in the same manner. Since I'm at work and only have one phone with me (and yes, I own an OGD, D2, D2G, HTC EVO 3D, Asus tablet - don't recall the model number ATM, and the SGS4), and so I can't test it. Perhaps you or someone else can?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I ended up switching to the share everything plan when I got the Note 3, so the tethering is included. Kinda wish I would have waited now, though it is actually saving me money a month and I get more data and tethering.

Still, this is an awesome find.

jsandy

Reaction score
Does this work differently than FoxFi? Are there any advantages over FoxFi? I only ask because foxFi is working fine on my Note 3.
I have a clock/weather app that lets you assign different tasks when you touch the weather icon, the clock (Hours and minutes) etc. I have FoxFi being launched by tapping my minutes. Check activate, wait for the Verizon warning, hit the home button and I'm good to go. Again, I'm not challenging you on this, I really would like to know if there is a difference. Thanks

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good stuff y'all. ..I'm using FoxFi only bc I bought it awhile back ..

N3 tapa

Why did you buy FoxFi? I thought this was a free app.

Anyway, gotta love yet another free method to tether your phone for internet every now and again.

jseah

Reaction score
You may be correct in the basic functionality for this and all similar widgets, that is the ability to toggle the hotspot feature on and off, but the real question is does this also bypass the subscription check and allow the built-in hotspot software to create the hotspot in the same manner. Since I'm at work and only have one phone with me (and yes, I own an OGD, D2, D2G, HTC EVO 3D, Asus tablet - don't recall the model number ATM, and the SGS4), and so I can't test it. Perhaps you or someone else can?

I had not tried this new widget, but I have used both FoxFi and Elixir Widgets on the following phones. All the phones are non-rooted, stock builds. For the Samsung Galaxy S3, we have two of them (both my sons) and one is running stock TouchWiz and the other is running Nova Launcher.

Samsung Galaxy S3 - no issues with using either FoxFi or Elixir Widgets
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - no issues with using either FoxFi or Elixir Widgets
Samsung Galaxy S4 (FoxFi) - as stated in the Google Play store, the app prompts you to activate a security lock and authorize a VPN on your phone in order to use FoxFi. The alternative would be, as above, to leave the provisioning pop up open otherwise the mobile hotspot would shut off.
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Elixir Widgets) - same as above, you need to leave the provisioning pop up open, otherwise the mobile hotspot would shut off
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx - same as on the Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (FoxFi) - same as on the Galaxy S4, except the app does not prompt you to activate a security lock and authorize a VPN on your phone. You would need to leave the provisioning pop up open to use the mobile hotspot.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Elixir Widgets) - same as on the Galaxy S4

jseah

Reaction score
I've had FoxFi since 5 phones ago ..lol

N3 tapa

I purchased PDANet way back when it was first introduced about 2 months after I got the Motorola Droid on release day. When FoxFi and PDANet merged into PDANet+, my activation code still was good to activate the paid version of FoxFi.

7779311mm

Reaction score
IiS2yn0UpcN8ar_2gRJFt3pd7QaMOD-oGhCwMFRMQJ-YV5xnZaAZXZEJannY9qly6n4=w300-rw

We got root on the Verizon Galaxy Note 3 just a few days ago, but we don't even need that to wifi tether on this device for free! It is actually pretty simple to tether using the native app on the Galaxy Note 3.

Go To Settings, More Settings, Mobile Hotspot, Configure (Choose a wifi hotspot name and password)
Go To the Play Store and Grab the Hotspot Toggle Widget
Place the Widget On your homescreen
Tap the Widget to Toggle hotspot on
When the notification pops up asking you to subscribe just hit the home button
You are now tethering for free

Via XDA

Thanks for this, DroidModderX. Working like a C H A R M on my Galaxy S4...No need to install FoxFi, pdaNet+ or any other tethering app.

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Awesome. Worked great on my note 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk